The Student Room Group

Bath, Nottingham, Edinburgh, Manchester or UCL for Architecture

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Laffer
Kind of my point though no? Your list says it’s comparable, mine says it’s not. That’s why I suggested to OP they choose a uni where there is no disagreement, hence my ranking.

My list says that Bath is actually CLEARLY the best out of the 5 universities. Bath being on average 10 places higher than for example Manchester suggests that it’s a significantly better university.

The disagreement with Manchester and Edinburgh is that domestic rankings don’t rank them so highly (often not even in the top 10).
Reply 21
Original post by lanky_giraffe
My list says that Bath is actually CLEARLY the best out of the 5 universities. Bath being on average 10 places higher than for example Manchester suggests that it’s a significantly better university.

The disagreement with Manchester and Edinburgh is that domestic rankings don’t rank them so highly (often not even in the top 10).

And my list clearly says it's nowhere near as well respected. Any list that ranks Bath above UCL or Imperial is not worth the paper it's written on, it's just not a serious list.
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by Laffer
Not sure what Kool Aid you have been drinking but that is just utter nonsense. Bath is not in the same league as Manchester or Edinburgh, domestically or internationally. It also ranks lower than Nottingham.

You have literally no idea what you're talking about. None. Bath's entry standards are the 7th highest in England, behind only Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL & Durham - above Kings, Bristol & Manchester. Graduate prospects are also some of the best in the country.

The international rankings, and even domestic for that matter, mean absolutely f*** all. According to QS, Leeds is more reputable than Durham & St Andrews, which is beyond laughable. THE has Durham at 174th and Queen Mary at 135th. Imagine being ******ed enough to go to QMUL over Durham...

An IB FO target list is far more indicative of prestige than these useless newspaper rankings that change every damn year. Stop spouting nonsense.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 23
Original post by Toblerone_bear
You have literally no idea what you're talking about. None. Bath's entry standards are the 7th highest in England, behind only Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL & Durham - above Kings, Bristol & Manchester. Graduate prospects are also some of the best in the country.

The international rankings, and even domestic for that matter, mean absolutely f*** all. According to QS, Leeds is more reputable than Durham & St Andrews, which is beyond laughable. THE has Durham at 174th and Queen Mary at 135th. Imagine being ******ed enough to go to QMUL over Durham...

An IB FO target list is far more indicative of prestige than these useless newspaper rankings that change every damn year. Stop spouting nonsense.

Look calm down will you, just because I don't rank your university as highly as you do doesn't mean you have to have a meltdown. OP wants the pros and cons, and a con of Bath is that it's not as well respected internationally. Don't see why that simple fact has cause you all to lose your minds.
Original post by Toblerone_bear

I back that.
Original post by Laffer
Look calm down will you, just because I don't rank your university as highly as you do doesn't mean you have to have a meltdown. OP wants the pros and cons, and a con of Bath is that it's not as well respected internationally. Don't see why that simple fact has cause you all to lose your minds.

You didn’t say that they weren’t respected internationally’. You just said that Manchester and Edinburgh were better than Bath, when depending on what metrics you use (most metrics) that isn’t the case.
Original post by Laffer

You could have cut out that first and last sentence. Anyway, well-respected by who? I can assure you that top international law, consulting & IB firms, the only fields where alma mater actually matters, have a uni target list that mirrors their British branch.

In any case, QS has Bath at 148 worldwide, which is good enough. These rankings largely serve as entertainment & marketing pieces - this should be obvious given the discrepancies between each newspaper or organisation's respective ranking.
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by Laffer
And my list clearly says it's nowhere near as well respected. Any list that ranks Bath above UCL or Imperial is not worth the paper it's written on, it's just not a serious list.

Most of the domestic rankings don’t put Bath over imperial college London. Putting it above UCL tho imo is justifiable
Original post by Laffer

Actually, I want to hear your top 15 UK universities (in order)
Reply 29

Anything that isn't just Bath 15 times is unlikely to meet your bizarre zealotry.

Who gives a damn about this guy’s top 15 or any other random NPC online?
Original post by Laffer
Anything that isn't just Bath 15 times is unlikely to meet your bizarre zealotry.

No, no, I’m intrigued. I don’t care if Bath is in it or not, I just want to see what universities you deem to be the finest
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending