The Student Room Group

Just feel lost

Changed my mind on which course I wanted to do. Fine, I released myself and went into Extra. This was just before the extra deadline, so I basically had 1 choice and that was it(Although, I did actually think clearing worked like extra, so I thought I'd be able to send more apps after).

I was told by the admissions staff of my new choice that, even though I failed to meet one of their subject requirements, my application would still be considered. Shouldn't have even tried tbh, very foolish, but I took their word and applied anyway. I wrote them a new personal statement, and exceeded the entry reqs significantly(A*AA predicted vs AAB required).

Fine, I get that none of this guarantees an offer. But I was rejected for "The program is full". They're literally in clearing for that exact program?

Now I'm headed into results day with nowhere to go and just feel awful. Wish I could go back in time bc I made so many silly mistakes :frown:
Hi :smile:

I am really sorry to hear about your situation, but please do not be worried that much, we all make mistakes in life. We cannot go back in time to fix the mistake but we can for sure learn from it and use our wisdom in the new circumstance.

It looks like there is nothing in front of you but you cannot see all the opportunities you have. You can find a summer job, save some extra money until you apply again next year, and the advantage is that you still have enough time to think which uni and course to apply.

So which one would you like to apply next year? Looking forward to hear your ideas :smile:

Lucie
PhD student
Cranfield University
@AnotherStudent!

Sometimes things don't make sense, but sometimes we get where we need to be the long way round!

At the moment everything feels unsettled, and that's a horrible feeling, but everything may come together better than expected.

There's no point going and round and round thinking about your choices. The most important thing is that you are clear on what you do want to study.

You can then begin to think about universities that you might like to consider so that you are ready on results day.

Don't lose heart. It's better that you figure out what you want to study now, than start university and realise that you want to study something else!

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Original post by AnotherStudent!
Changed my mind on which course I wanted to do. Fine, I released myself and went into Extra. This was just before the extra deadline, so I basically had 1 choice and that was it(Although, I did actually think clearing worked like extra, so I thought I'd be able to send more apps after).

I was told by the admissions staff of my new choice that, even though I failed to meet one of their subject requirements, my application would still be considered. Shouldn't have even tried tbh, very foolish, but I took their word and applied anyway. I wrote them a new personal statement, and exceeded the entry reqs significantly(A*AA predicted vs AAB required).

Fine, I get that none of this guarantees an offer. But I was rejected for "The program is full". They're literally in clearing for that exact program?

Now I'm headed into results day with nowhere to go and just feel awful. Wish I could go back in time bc I made so many silly mistakes :frown:

Hi @AnotherStudent! I am so sorry to hear this, I understand this must be a really stressful situation my advise for you would be to keep looking through clearing perhaps at different universities and if you can not find anything to suit you I would recommend taking the year off and trying again next year. If you choose to do this I would suggest getting experience in your chosen area, explain the situation to companies as they may want to help you. The worst they could say is no. Hope this Helps!

Gurpej Kaur(Student Rep)
Original post by AnotherStudent!

It is very difficult to answer this without knowing all the facts. However the likelyhood is that there will be AAB universities in clearing. The one problem you will have is you will need to meet certain course requirements and in particular GCSE grades in English Language and Mathematics

Nearly all universities have some courses in clearing every year. The exceptions being Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL Imperial, Durham and St Andrews. Some universities only have a small amount of courses available such as Exeter and Kings but most have hundreds of courses available. Nobody knows exactly what is available but I strongly suspect you will find some suitable course on results day.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=f51a1207ffca1db5JmltdHM9MTY4OTI5MjgwMCZpZ3VpZD0zNjQzYjFiYS0yNzM0LTZlMzItMWRhNy1hMWNlMjYxMzZmYTkmaW5zaWQ9NTUxNg&ptn=3&hsh=3&fclid=3643b1ba-2734-6e32-1da7-a1ce26136fa9&psq=universities+in+clearing+2022&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cudGltZXNoaWdoZXJlZHVjYXRpb24uY29tL3N0dWRlbnQvYWR2aWNlL2NsZWFyaW5nLTIwMjItdWstdW5pdmVyc2l0aWVzLWNvdXJzZXMtc3RpbGwtYXZhaWxhYmxlIzp-
OnRleHQ9QURWRVJUSVNFTUVOVCUyMCUyMCUyMFVLJTIwUmFuayUyMDIwMjIlMjAlMjAsaW5jbHVkaW5nJTIwY2hlbWlzdHJ5JTIwLi4uJTIwJTIwMjAlMjBtb3JlJTIwcm93cyUyMA&ntb=1

What is Clearing?
Clearing is a UCAS service that allows universities to fill spaces on courses that aren't yet full, while students without offers are given a second chance to pursue their higher education aspirations.

In 2022, a total of 33,280 students managed to secure their university places through UCAS Clearing, up from 24,100 in 2021.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending