The Student Room Group

How does one know if they’re suited for computer science at university?

Hi, I've moved your thread to the CS forum :smile: If you really like maths, have an interest in the underlying theory of how computers work, and don't mind programming if you've tried it out, that's usually a good indicator.

Doing some basic programming exercises in Python or something isn't that hard or time consuming (you can easily write a couple simple programs, e.g. hello world then try some exercises in writing loops or something) to give you an idea on the programming side. It's not essential background but it's a good way to check if you might find those aspects of the course somewhat boring, although some courses don't emphasise this as much anyway (e.g. Oxbridge/Imperial/Edinburgh/etc).

You should have an idea about your mathematical competence and interest. Note that I don't really believe liking programming but disliking maths is a good indicator for doing a CS degree though - the courses are necessarily mathematical and as above, for some courses programming is a pretty minor part of it. If your main interest is in programming but you dislike maths or struggle with it, I'd suggest looking at e.g. degree apprenticeship options so you spend more time doing what you like :smile:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending