The Student Room Group

cost of college rent?

unfortunately, money - and not just unbridled love for my chosen path - is going to be a big concern for me in choosing where i go for my postgrads work. i have a cambridge interview coming up. can anyone tell me where i can find out the rents for college accommodation? i cannot find it on their website. thanks
If you're looking at post grad accomodation it might have to be a case of emailing/phoning the colleges (or their MCRs) you might be interested in because post grad accom is often on a different system to undergrad accom (to allow people to stay all year for example) and there aren't that many grad students around to give you a good sample...
Reply 2
I'm afraid I can't help but its worth remembering that you don't have to live in colleges if you are a postgrad and think that they are too expensive.

A fair few colleges have fellowship competitions that provide 3/4 years of funding to students undertaking a research degree. These can often pay your fees and provide a generous stipend (certainly above what you would get from some of the funding councils) and a small amount of research money. These are certainly worth looking into
Reply 3
I think Trinity has pretty cheap grad accommodation. The richer colleges probably have cheaper accommodation in general. Or have you chosen your college already?
Supermerp
I think Trinity has pretty cheap grad accommodation. The richer colleges probably have cheaper accommodation in general. Or have you chosen your college already?

I assumed that for quite a while, but the rents that i have heard of for johns seem ludicrisly expensive... Meanwhile catz is a pretty poor college and our accom seems to be at least par for the course, and compared to some it's cheap... Having said that, there are definitely more general advantages to rich colleges - esp for post grad funding etc...
Emmanuel is particularly cheap. I know someone who literally pays half of what I pay, for their accomodation.
Reply 6
It depends on the grade though... but on the other hand, the difference between a grade 3 and a grade 5 is not more than £10 per week.
Reply 7
thanks, everyone, for your replies. i did manage to find one college's prices, which were £89/week. this is not amazing, but equally not too bad when they could get away with charging whatever they jolly-well like.

Latest

Trending

Trending