The Student Room Group

Is it too late to drop out of uni 2nd yr?

Honestly already in 2nd yr & getting 50& 48 ; think I failed another one .. future grades will probably be in 50s ;don’t know if I should drop out or graduate with a 3rd at this point.😭
Original post by Anonymous #1
Honestly already in 2nd yr & getting 50& 48 ; think I failed another one .. future grades will probably be in 50s ;don’t know if I should drop out or graduate with a 3rd at this point.😭

Hiya,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re thinking of dropping out!

I personally wouldn’t drop out just yet! There’s probably a few things I’d suggest doing first.

When you get your feedback on assignments, why don’t you request a meeting with your personal tutor and ask for clarity and guidance. Ask them to make it clear exactly what you need to do to get better marks.

What help does your university offer? At ARU we are offered study skills sessions where we can have one on one meetings to help with assignments. This can be help with anything you’re struggling with. Have a look into this, it really is helpful and I’m sure your university website has lots of support you can easily access.

Make sure you understand your assignment and try to start it early. Make sure to ask any questions you have, even if they feel silly. It’s better to know exactly what’s expected of you than trying to guess. Also suggest starting assignments early, when you leave it late it just gets on top of you and you can’t do your best work when you’re stressed.

Don’t be so hard on yourself. Take some time out for yourself and make sure you’re also doing things you enjoy.

Of course, I am saying all of this not knowing if you may have already done these things but they are just my suggestions. We all want to do our best and achieve well, and it’s disheartening when we don’t!

However, you still have a lot of time to get your grades up if you’re aiming to graduate higher. But even if you don’t, you will still achieve a degree at the end of it! I wouldn’t give up just yet, reach out for some support and believe in yourself. Everyone learns and achieves differently, so don’t compare yourself to others! Just give it your absolute all and then whatever happens, you’ll know you gave it your best shot. That’s all we can do with anything in life.

Good luck moving forward and I hope this helps a bit 🙂

Sophie (ARU)
Reply 2
Original post by ARUStudents

Hiya,

I personally wouldn’t drop out just yet! There’s probably a few things I’d suggest doing first.

When you get your feedback on assignments, why don’t you request a meeting with your personal tutor and ask for clarity and guidance. Ask them to make it clear exactly what you need to do to get better marks.

What help does your university offer? At ARU we are offered study skills sessions where we can have one on one meetings to help with assignments. This can be help with anything you’re struggling with. Have a look into this, it really is helpful and I’m sure your university website has lots of support you can easily access.

Make sure you understand your assignment and try to start it early. Make sure to ask any questions you have, even if they feel silly. It’s better to know exactly what’s expected of you than trying to guess. Also suggest starting assignments early, when you leave it late it just gets on top of you and you can’t do your best work when you’re stressed.

Don’t be so hard on yourself. Take some time out for yourself and make sure you’re also doing things you enjoy.

Of course, I am saying all of this not knowing if you may have already done these things but they are just my suggestions. We all want to do our best and achieve well, and it’s disheartening when we don’t!

However, you still have a lot of time to get your grades up if you’re aiming to graduate higher. But even if you don’t, you will still achieve a degree at the end of it! I wouldn’t give up just yet, reach out for some support and believe in yourself. Everyone learns and achieves differently, so don’t compare yourself to others! Just give it your absolute all and then whatever happens, you’ll know you gave it your best shot. That’s all we can do with anything in life.

Sophie (ARU)

Thank you for the response , I’ll try to do those things then

Hello

Please keep pushing on, you are at least passing with them grades. Focus on getting a higher grade each time, ways you can do that is looking up samples of work or asking your tutor for a chat regarding their feedback, that way you can see where you may need to improve. And trust me, it could be the smallest mistake that'll make up for that extra percent. You got this, keep going, you can do it.

All the best,
Hassan Liverpool Hope University Student Ambassador

Anon,

Second year is hard and there can be a lot pressure when you know that your grades are going towards your final degree but it might be worth talking to your personal tutor to find out more about the percentage of second year that goes towards third year, and from what modules the percentage is taken e.g. does it come from all your modules or only some?

Are your exams worth more than your assignments? Depending on how your course is arranged your final exams could still boost your marks considerably.

It's early days. It's a New Year. You know the results that you want to get and there is still time to get them, but it's going to require some reflection (what may be affecting your results?), perhaps putting in more time for work and less time for socials (perhaps dropping a society if you are overstretched) and belief that you can do it (a positive attitude is half of the job done already!)

All the best!

Happy New Year!

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Reply 5
Original post by University of Huddersfield

Anon,

Second year is hard and there can be a lot pressure when you know that your grades are going towards your final degree but it might be worth talking to your personal tutor to find out more about the percentage of second year that goes towards third year, and from what modules the percentage is taken e.g. does it come from all your modules or only some?

Are your exams worth more than your assignments? Depending on how your course is arranged your final exams could still boost your marks considerably.

It's early days. It's a New Year. You know the results that you want to get and there is still time to get them, but it's going to require some reflection (what may be affecting your results?), perhaps putting in more time for work and less time for socials (perhaps dropping a society if you are overstretched) and belief that you can do it (a positive attitude is half of the job done already!)

All the best!

Happy New Year!

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Thank youu I’ll do that happy new year

Hi there,

As others have said, I would also say to try and stick it out if you can!

When you get assignments back, definitely try and ask your tutors for feedback and to clarify anything that you don't understand. This will help you in future assignments and should improve your grades. Your tutors are usually happy to help!

Also, at Hallam we have access to study skills sessions through the library. If your university offers something similar, I would really recommend attending these sessions. They can be anything from critical writing to referencing and they really help and will improve your grades as these skills aren't taught during seminars so if you are struggling with the writing aspect of your work then this will help!

If you have an academic advisor or support tutor I would also recommend talking to them before you make any decisions about dropping out. They usually offer good advice and support and may also be able to point you in the direction of people who can help you improve your grades further.

Also, talk to your classmates! See what grades they are getting and what you aren't doing that they may be doing. After you have got feedback from an assignment, they may tell you things that they put in to get them higher grades so you can do this too. Obviously, don't copy any work but they may have useful suggestions.

Another idea to improve your essays is to do the recommended reading early. I'm really trying to do this as when you have done the reading in advance, it really helps when you are writing the work. It also saves time when you are doing the assignment so you can focus more on the detail of what you are writing!

I hope this helps,
Lucy -SHU student ambassador .
Reply 7
Original post by ARUStudents

Hiya,

Sophie (ARU)

Thank you , will try that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending