The Student Room Group

Help me find the degree that best fits my description below:

So i have a huge interest in Computer Science and will likely end up studying it, but my personal philosophy towards some technologies would directly oppose many careers in CS relevant industries. I'm passionate about understanding the effects of social media on humans, both individually, in communities and societally, i want to understand how it has developed into the go to addictive pacifier that enslaved the word, how it works and how i can work towards helping this problem i see prevalent in so many of my peers.

Any help by suggesting a relevant course would be very much appreciated!
Original post by JAColman03
So i have a huge interest in Computer Science and will likely end up studying it, but my personal philosophy towards some technologies would directly oppose many careers in CS relevant industries. I'm passionate about understanding the effects of social media on humans, both individually, in communities and societally, i want to understand how it has developed into the go to addictive pacifier that enslaved the word, how it works and how i can work towards helping this problem i see prevalent in so many of my peers.

It sounds like perhaps a Computer Science degree would be right for you, but one which contains modules on the personal and societal impacts of that technology (and of social media in particular).
Reply 2

Look at courses that focus less on programming and more on the theoretical side of things because that will enable you to get to grips with these issues. Try to find any ethics related courses because that will really float your boat.

Have you thought about Anthropology? Goldsmiths do a degree in Anthropology and Media, for example.
You might also be interested in this free MOOC by UCL - https://www.ucl.ac.uk/short-courses/search-courses/anthropology-social-media-why-we-post

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending