The Student Room Group

Changing from full time to part time study

I am a mature student who has just completed my second year of a 3 year full time degree. I am currently eligible for both a tuition fee loan and also maintenance loan. I need to split the final year of my degree over two years due to health issues, which will entail doing 60 CATS at level 6 in 2023/2024, and then 60 CATS at level 6 in 2024/2025. The university have said they will fully support me and transfer me to the part time degree course. How will this work from a student finance perspective? Do I need to submit a fresh application as a part time student? Will there be delays in processing this?Also, will I still receive some maintenance loan or will I no longer be eligible due to my part time status? I need to understand if I will lose all of my maintenance loan before I make my final decision.
You need to ask your university how they will process the change for student finance. They have the option to switch you to “part time on a full time course” which would make you eligible for full time funding for both years (assuming this is your first additional year of study) or they could switch you to part time completely.
Which they choose will impact what funding you will receive.

The student records/registry team at your university will have someone responsible for submitting changes to SLC. That person/team will be able to explain.
Original post by Suzie_24
I am a mature student who has just completed my second year of a 3 year full time degree. I am currently eligible for both a tuition fee loan and also maintenance loan. I need to split the final year of my degree over two years due to health issues, which will entail doing 60 CATS at level 6 in 2023/2024, and then 60 CATS at level 6 in 2024/2025. The university have said they will fully support me and transfer me to the part time degree course. How will this work from a student finance perspective? Do I need to submit a fresh application as a part time student? Will there be delays in processing this?Also, will I still receive some maintenance loan or will I no longer be eligible due to my part time status? I need to understand if I will lose all of my maintenance loan before I make my final decision.

Hi Suzie,

Can you confirm if the university are considering you to be a full time student on a part time basis? Can you confirm the full name of the course and university please?

Thanks, Clare
Reply 3
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi Suzie,

Can you confirm if the university are considering you to be a full time student on a part time basis? Can you confirm the full name of the course and university please?

Thanks, Clare

Hi Claire,

No,the university have said they will transfer me to the part time course. It is a social studies degree that you can either do full time or part time. I am currently on the full time course. So long as I get some form of funding that is fine.
Reply 4
Sorry, the university is University of Warwick, and I am doing BA Social Studies degree with Centre for Lifelong Learning.
Original post by Suzie_24
Hi Claire,

No,the university have said they will transfer me to the part time course. It is a social studies degree that you can either do full time or part time. I am currently on the full time course. So long as I get some form of funding that is fine.

The version of the course that you’re on can be different to the course information sent to SLC for funding purposes.

Speak to your student records/registry team and ask to speak to the people responsible for sending information to SLC and ask them how your studies are being recorded for the upcoming academic year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending