The Student Room Group

3 years to complete A-levels (Medicine)

i did yr12 last year at a private school. i did politics, rs and english lit A-level. only now have i realised they weren’t for me. i moved schools to resit yr12 and now i’m studying bio, chem and maths. are there any universities that will accept me? i wouldn’t necessarily say i’m a retake as this is my first year of study for those alevels. could someone send me a list of universities that will definitely acknowledge my application please!
You will need to read the application policy very carefully. The numbers that accept retakes seem to be going down every year.

But some don't specify retakes, for example Plymouth I believe just says must take no longer than three years. And your situation is different as you have changed schools and subjects.

Personally, I would take the time to read all the policies and email them (specifying it's for 2025 entry) and set out your position and ask them.if they would consider your application (obviously subject to any UCAT scores etc).

They may say yes or no, or they may tell you about their extenuating circumstances policy. If so you will then have to work your way through those and check dates for that carefully. It's often long before the UCAS deadline.

Just an in principle question. There aren't that many of them so it won't take that long to do. That way you have it in writing from them rather than opinions off the Internet. And you will be able to quote it back to them should it be needed.
(edited 3 months ago)
Doing a whole new set of subjects over 2 years with no overlap with your previous subjects tends to not be seen as retakes or doing your A-levels over 3 years (the latter refers to doing the same subjects over 3 years which obviously means you have more time to learn the material than others - this is not the case for you though).

As above do check (and if in doubt contact the medical schools) but I think on the whole most don't have an issue with a "false start" in different subjects then switching to completely new subjects for medicine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending