The Student Room Group

Soon to be Law Graduate

What can I do to secure a job in the legal field with no working experience?
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by username6211023
What can I do to secure a job in the legal field with no working experience?

Hi there

It is quite normal for law students not to have work experience immediately after graduating from University. However, there will be many transferrable skills which you have picked up.

In your applications to firms/ chambers, really emphasis skills that you have obtained during your University studies: evidence this by specific examples. If you have had any volunteering experience or other non-law related experiences, do mention these too! :smile:

I think most firms will be aware that most students do not have legal work experience. So your chances of securing jobs in the legal fields should be good. :smile: In terms of what types of jobs to apply to: I think it may be difficult to get into Training Contracts, however, if you have a strong interest in a particular firm you could certainly try this out.
However, given the introduction of the SQE, students are able to qualify as solicitors with TCs, rather job roles such as paralegals could be sufficient. :smile: If you are particularly struggling in getting offers from firms, you could always go for positions such as legal secretaries and work your way up the ladder that way. :smile:

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending