The Student Room Group

Final year biomed student - overwhelmed, panic :(

Hello!

I'm a final year biomed student at a russell group uni. This post might sound a little whiny maybe and self explanatory of the things I need to do but I think it might help me to just think out loud and get some ideas and find new ways to overcome challenges, so please bare with me.

I'm in the final stretch, this is the final semester I have 3 modules + 1 dissertation(4,000 word lit review) and lay article based on my dissertation. the last two things are due on the 12th April. I really want to finish my dissertation by the second to last week of february because after that the courseworks for the ther 3 modules will start to happen one by one each week and it'll be too much to balance all in one go.

My issue is now that I have some time from today till the end of feb, I can obviously get on with the diss and get it done but because mines literally just a lit review, not a lab based research project, the more I read about the subject, the more overwhelmed I get and I don't want to start. Which is silly I know other people have bigger problems and I'm complaining, I guess I'm struggling to just get stuck in with things. Everything to do with academics over the past year has started to give me a lot of anxiety before, during and after the task.

I had my final end of semester exam on monday last week and since then i convinced myself I deserve a break and I'll start reading papers for the diss and writing this week monday.... it's now Sat, turning into sunday :'(

I'm on track for a first and I really want to keep it that way, I'm just struggling to start and I just want to finish strong otherwise I feel like it'll be so disappointing when I finish and I look back and realise I could have worked harder but didn't.

I'm pretty sure people have been in this position before who've written 10,000 words and balanced more modules, I just wanted to ask how people managed their time so they still had time to relax and enjoy their final time at uni too you know?

I've noticed that I've become slower at doing prework and understanding stuff in lectures so I know I need to finish my diss early for that reason too so I can dedicate my time a little more to those modules. I know I can do it I'm just a bit of a perfectionist and procrastinator and its hard to start because I don't want to do the diss wrong and then have to start again you know? I feel really guilty if I take time out to eat or relax or anything to chill out and then if I procrastinate as I have been doing I try to find ways to reassure myself its fine when actually I need to find balance and not just have this all or nothing mentality where days are either really good or really bad.

I think I'm just very overwhelmed, at the moment, I still haven't done anything and semester starts next week tuesday. The first few weeks I don't have any assignments so its the best time to get this done!

I'm just so overwhelmed, I suddenly have this rush of anxiety from all that needs doing.

I'm also struggling to decide between one of my modules or choosing another as I want to choose the one that I can get a good grade in.

Sorry for whining and sharing this. I just wanted to talk this out I guess. I know logically like its ok I have time and it's alright to take a break. But haven't I taken too long off ? though I didn't really have a break over Christmas because I had early Jan exams so I took like maybe a few days off and that's it but I know its also important to work. i don't know I think I'm trying to rationalise and get reassurance for my excuses and lack of work :frown:

Thankyou for reading if you got this far. I know there's not much here but I guess I just wanted to hear some opinions and experiences from people.
Original post by Anonymous
Hello!

I'm a final year biomed student at a russell group uni. This post might sound a little whiny maybe and self explanatory of the things I need to do but I think it might help me to just think out loud and get some ideas and find new ways to overcome challenges, so please bare with me.

I'm in the final stretch, this is the final semester I have 3 modules + 1 dissertation(4,000 word lit review) and lay article based on my dissertation. the last two things are due on the 12th April. I really want to finish my dissertation by the second to last week of february because after that the courseworks for the ther 3 modules will start to happen one by one each week and it'll be too much to balance all in one go.

My issue is now that I have some time from today till the end of feb, I can obviously get on with the diss and get it done but because mines literally just a lit review, not a lab based research project, the more I read about the subject, the more overwhelmed I get and I don't want to start. Which is silly I know other people have bigger problems and I'm complaining, I guess I'm struggling to just get stuck in with things. Everything to do with academics over the past year has started to give me a lot of anxiety before, during and after the task.

I had my final end of semester exam on monday last week and since then i convinced myself I deserve a break and I'll start reading papers for the diss and writing this week monday.... it's now Sat, turning into sunday :'(

I'm on track for a first and I really want to keep it that way, I'm just struggling to start and I just want to finish strong otherwise I feel like it'll be so disappointing when I finish and I look back and realise I could have worked harder but didn't.

I'm pretty sure people have been in this position before who've written 10,000 words and balanced more modules, I just wanted to ask how people managed their time so they still had time to relax and enjoy their final time at uni too you know?

I've noticed that I've become slower at doing prework and understanding stuff in lectures so I know I need to finish my diss early for that reason too so I can dedicate my time a little more to those modules. I know I can do it I'm just a bit of a perfectionist and procrastinator and its hard to start because I don't want to do the diss wrong and then have to start again you know? I feel really guilty if I take time out to eat or relax or anything to chill out and then if I procrastinate as I have been doing I try to find ways to reassure myself its fine when actually I need to find balance and not just have this all or nothing mentality where days are either really good or really bad.

I think I'm just very overwhelmed, at the moment, I still haven't done anything and semester starts next week tuesday. The first few weeks I don't have any assignments so its the best time to get this done!

I'm just so overwhelmed, I suddenly have this rush of anxiety from all that needs doing.

I'm also struggling to decide between one of my modules or choosing another as I want to choose the one that I can get a good grade in.

Sorry for whining and sharing this. I just wanted to talk this out I guess. I know logically like its ok I have time and it's alright to take a break. But haven't I taken too long off ? though I didn't really have a break over Christmas because I had early Jan exams so I took like maybe a few days off and that's it but I know its also important to work. i don't know I think I'm trying to rationalise and get reassurance for my excuses and lack of work :frown:

Thankyou for reading if you got this far. I know there's not much here but I guess I just wanted to hear some opinions and experiences from people.

Of course you're entitled to a break, so don't beat yourself up about that! You don't want to burn yourself out, that'd help nobody.

I think the best way to go on about this is to just... start the literature review. You don't have to go all guns-blazing right away, you can just start reading a few scientific articles and studies to start getting an idea of the field and start compiling them. Maybe set yourself a (realistic) schedule, breaking down your dissertation into chunks of work you have to do an assign them a time and deadline and try to stick to that :smile:
Reply 2
Thankyou for replying I really appreciate it!!

Yesss my problem is always starting coz of the what ifs and perfectionism seeping in but I have to remind myself I can't fix something that doesn't exist 💀so I might as well write it.

I feel bad for coming on here and just whining, I know what I need to do but sometimes its nice to just hear from someone else I guess.

I've read some quick overviews of the topic and have an outline so all I need to do is get on with summarising papers for each section and then start writing I could probably get a first draft done so quickly but the task paralysis is unreal at the moment 😭😭
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hello!

Hey there , first of all congratulations on making it to the end that's amazing all on its own and you should be proud of that. With everything that is going on you are allowed to rant a little bit or maybe even whine. This is your experience and I'm sure you saying all this out loud will help atleast one person.
I have never studied at a Russel Group university before but I did complete my undergrad a few years ago in Chemical Engineering and I remember feeling some of the things you feel now , trust me it's a common feeling.
Keeping the motivation till the very end is extremely hard , you've probably been working hard the past 2 years and now its more difficult to give 100%. I would advise you to try your best to get your head back in the game but first take a weekend to rest and strategise for the rest of the year. Maybe a study group or an accountability partner might come in hand , I know for me she keeps me doing my best and motivates me out of a slump .

PS : You're doing amazing and I hope this helps just a little .

Cece
Energy Engineering
De Montfort University

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending