The Student Room Group

Help workload master’s

Hi all,

I have just gotten my timetable for my masters and module assesments and it’s really heavy. I thought I would be able to do it straight after undergraduate but I am feeling really overwhelmed.

I don’t know when it is good to drop out - should I experience the first week or should I just quit now.

I don’t want to judge it quickly or drop out so late.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi all,

I have just gotten my timetable for my masters and module assesments and it’s really heavy. I thought I would be able to do it straight after undergraduate but I am feeling really overwhelmed.

I don’t know when it is good to drop out - should I experience the first week or should I just quit now.

When I did my master's, it was 8 modules for the entire year and I needed to do 60 hour weeks (not sure about other students). I am not sure about you, but that's pretty standard for me.

Don't get me wrong, some of the students did break down during the course because of the intense pressure and workload. However, most if not all got through it.

I suppose it's down to individual preference and whether you are able to cope.

The first week unfortunately is not a good indicator of what the course would be like further on. It's not really until the 5th-6th week that you get to feel the full breadth of the workload, and it's not until the first set of exams in winter that you would feel what the amount of revision required would be like.

The master's degree isn't designed to be easy going and it's not designed to allow you much free time. It's meant to be very intensive and hands on. You would need to work hard in it in order to get through it.

Stress management is a key skill along with good time management. (I have a story where I was left with 2 weeks to do a 10k word dissertation; pretty much stayed in a computer room for 20+ hours a day throughout that period. Ended up producing 60k+ words and had to cut everything down, but ended up with a decent grade. Moral of the story is: make sure you know what you are doing before going into it.)
Hi all,

Anon,

Would it be possible to do the Masters part-time?

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
I would talk to the Uni ASAP

My first Masters was intense, as you describe but I did it in 12 months because I wanted to get to work. There's a reason most post grads live in the library / lab

My third Masters proved too much to do all 8 modules in 12 months because I was starting up a consultancy business at the same time. I was allowed to do it over 2 years, I was also allowed a further 3 years to complete my dissertation.
Reply 4
Hello,
I just received my timetable at induction day yesterday and i felt worse. WIth 4 days placements and 1 day UNI to begin in Jan., 2024.
Sadly, i resigned from my job so i just have to psyche myself and go through it.

I encourage you to at least give the process some time, most masters classes are smaller and students are generally very suportive of each other.
One good tip is to start assignments, projects etc as soon as they are issued, that would give you more time to proof read, complete and submit before deadlines.

Take advantage of the "feedback services" who will proof read and help to correct your assignments before you submit.

All the best.
Hi all,

Hi all,

Hey,

I finished my master's last year after my undergrad so just wanted to hop on here & hopefully I can offer some insight. I'd recommend giving it a few weeks at least, don't drop out without seeing how it goes first - it might be a lot better than you think! :h:

I definitely understand how overwhelming it is at the start, but honestly, I found I really got into a routine during my master's. Of course, it's going to be a bit more work than undergrad (mainly due to the fact it's all condensed into one year). However, as others have said above, if you utilise your time well, it's really not as stressful as it first seems! For example, starting assignments as soon as you get them is a really good way of keeping on top of everything. I'd also recommend having a summary of all your assignments, i.e. all the work for each module, how much it's worth, due dates etc.

My biggest tip that really made my master's more manageable and less overwhelming, was treating it as if it was a 9-5 job. So I would spend 9-5 during the week at uni, doing any work and assignments either in the library or in coffee shops in the breaks between lectures and classes. This then meant I had evenings and weekends completely to myself and didn't spend time stressing about my work outside of uni.

Best of luck with everything, I'm sure you'll get into the swing of things soon!

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep (PhD Psychology)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending