The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Uni of York for Digital Media and Culture MA?

Hello!
I was wondering if any past or present students of the Digital Media & Culture MA programme at Uni of York could give any insight into what it is like?
It seems like an interesting course, and along the lines of what I am interested in, but I simply cannot find any information from students within this specific course.
I am deciding between this course and the International Media and Communications at the Uni of Nottingham.
Thank you!!
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hello!
I was wondering if any past or present students of the Digital Media & Culture MA programme at Uni of York could give any insight into what it is like?
It seems like an interesting course, and along the lines of what I am interested in, but I simply cannot find any information from students within this specific course.
I am deciding between this course and the International Media and Communications at the Uni of Nottingham.
Thank you!!

Hi! I asked if one of our students on the course could send over a few sentences and this is her response, hope it helps!

"Hi! I'm currently studying Digital Media & Culture at York (full-time), and can share some of my experiences based on this first semester.

[start]I’m really enjoying the course. The two core modules this semester (Digital Culture: Key Concepts and Digital Methods) provide a strong theoretical and practical foundation for research in a wide range of areas they give a really good sense of the research landscape, in my opinion. There’s plenty of guidance for additional reading and things to explore if you’re planning to pursue something further (like a specific research method or theoretical topic). And I've found the lecturers who are teaching the modules very flexible and supportive in terms of relating topics we cover to particular areas of personal interest and recommending resources.[/start]

[start]In terms of option modules, it’s one per semester. These modules come from a variety of different departments. The one that I chose for this semester is offered by the same department as the master's programme itself, the School of Arts and Creative Technologies. We’re a mixture of MA and final year undergrad students (though I think some of the other option modules on offer are just for MA students). I’ve really enjoyed this module too, and the things we covered in the core MA modules definitely enriched my experience of it.[/start]

[start]Something that particularly attracted me to this programme is the opportunity to explore practical research methods, and to create a media artefact and reflective report as an alternative to a more traditional dissertation. Dissertation work kicks off next semester, and I think everything that we’ve covered so far has prepared me well for the creative research approach that I want to take. (I also think I’d be well-prepared for a more traditional dissertation, if I changed my mind.)[/start]
[start]I hope this helps feel free to ask if you have other questions relating to your particular interests etc.!"[/start]
University of York
York

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending