The Student Room Group

what kind of things did you want to achieve in your first nursing placement

I'm a 1st year nursing student and I'm struggling to know what things to say for my initial interview tomorrow.
Would it be ok for me to say I want to improve my communication skills with patients and other people working in my team?

Is one goal enough how many do I need?
Original post by i'mconcuzled
I'm a 1st year nursing student and I'm struggling to know what things to say for my initial interview tomorrow.
Would it be ok for me to say I want to improve my communication skills with patients and other people working in my team?

Hey

If you feel you are lacking communication skills then you can suggest that.
How much have you learned on your first placement - is there anything you enjoy about it then tell them about it as well.

Don't be panicking about it as you'll be fine with whatever questions they ask you.

Just remember that this is only your first ever nursing placement you are on so nobody will expect you to be absolutely perfect first time 🥰 the more placement's you do the better you'll get.

A summer 2023 newly qualified adult nurse.
Reply 2

Improving communication is a great start.
What sort of placement are you on?
I'm a practice supervisor/assessor on a hospital ward. I tell my 1st year (especially 1st placement) students to get used to working on a hospital ward. That means getting used to personal care, doing observations, doing blood sugars, and escalating things (e.g. doings obs and a NEWS score anything other than 0, a high or low blood sugar, learning what pressure sores look like and how to deal with them). Doing that then actually achieves a fair few proficiencies!

Hi,

I hope your first placement is going well for you!

On your first placement the main things you need to focus on are the basics of nursing such as observations, personal cares and communication. It is important to get these basics solidified in your first placement as these skills will help you throughout your entire nursing career.

Remember when setting your goals to use the SMART objectives to outline your goals as this will give you a systematic approach to achieving the goals you set.

I hope this is of some assistance and I wish you the best of luck with your nursing course!

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep - 3rd year Children's Nursing
Reply 4
Original post by LSBU
Hi,

I hope your first placement is going well for you!

On your first placement the main things you need to focus on are the basics of nursing such as observations, personal cares and communication. It is important to get these basics solidified in your first placement as these skills will help you throughout your entire nursing career.

Remember when setting your goals to use the SMART objectives to outline your goals as this will give you a systematic approach to achieving the goals you set.

I hope this is of some assistance and I wish you the best of luck with your nursing course!

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep - 3rd year Children's Nursing

Thankyou for the reply ill be sure to use this
:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending