The Student Room Group

rejoining gymnastics advice please!

Hey everyone!

Quite a few years back i started gymnastics. i did it for around 3.5-4yrs before having to unfortunately quit due to it clashing with my school work. it’s been 5 years since quitting and i’ve recently started to miss the sport over the last few months. i’ve done some research and found a local club with good reviews and everything, and going for a tester session. it’s for 16+ only so i shouldn’t be feeling too out of place, however i’m quite nervous to go still as i don’t want to feel judged or anything, but also because i don’t know anyone and i tend to be a bit shy. is there any advice you guys have for me to not worry about going and just enjoying being back at it?

Thank you!! ☺️
Reply 1
I've done a lot of things on my own - holidays abroad, concerts, hobbies etc - because I would rather do them than miss out just because family and friends weren't interested or were unavailable to come along.

You're going to do something you love with a group of like-minded people; just go for it and best of luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hey everyone!

Quite a few years back i started gymnastics. i did it for around 3.5-4yrs before having to unfortunately quit due to it clashing with my school work. it’s been 5 years since quitting and i’ve recently started to miss the sport over the last few months. i’ve done some research and found a local club with good reviews and everything, and going for a tester session. it’s for 16+ only so i shouldn’t be feeling too out of place, however i’m quite nervous to go still as i don’t want to feel judged or anything, but also because i don’t know anyone and i tend to be a bit shy. is there any advice you guys have for me to not worry about going and just enjoying being back at it?

Thank you!! ☺️

As someone who does adult gymnastics, gymnastics as an adult is a very different vibe from gymnastics as a kid - it’s a lot more relaxed, friendly, and self-led. You will likely get to decide what you want to work on yourself, and if something hurts you can stop whenever. Lots of falling over is involved, and when (not if) you fall over just stand up with a smile on your face and laugh it off. Plenty of people don’t start gymnastics until they are adults, and plenty of others restart after a long break, so you should be fine. Adult gymnasts like to complain about being sore and stiff if you are looking for a conversation topic!

As some adult classes are very self-led (apart from maybe the warm up), I’d recommend thinking about a couple of things you’d like to work on in advance (even if they are pretty basic) so that you can keep busy. Usually the coach (or other attendees) can help set up drills for things if you know what you want to work on. I’d recommend starting at the basics, as that will give you the confidence to keep going back and build up to what you did when you did gymnastics previously.

Have fun!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending