The Student Room Group

My mum who’s supporting my SFE application retired and I’m no longer qualified

As the title says, my mum retired and went back to her home country. I’m in a difficult situation. I’m on my last year of uni and I purely depend on maintenance loan and part-time jobs to survive. I called the SFE and they told me that I can’t get any payments if my parent is out of employment as we’re immigrants. I can’t ask for my mum to come back and I begged her previously to stay for at least another year but she doesn’t care and doesn’t want to help me. I thought maybe I could have one of my siblings (who are over 30 and have stable jobs) to sponsor my application but apparently only parents can do that.

I’m really scared as I want to finish my studies at least :frown: . Do I just have to quit on my last year? Is there any advice for this situation?
Original post by sikikaito
As the title says, my mum retired and went back to her home country. I’m in a difficult situation. I’m on my last year of uni and I purely depend on maintenance loan and part-time jobs to survive. I called the SFE and they told me that I can’t get any payments if my parent is out of employment as we’re immigrants. I can’t ask for my mum to come back and I begged her previously to stay for at least another year but she doesn’t care and doesn’t want to help me. I thought maybe I could have one of my siblings (who are over 30 and have stable jobs) to sponsor my application but apparently only parents can do that.

I’m really scared as I want to finish my studies at least :frown: . Do I just have to quit on my last year? Is there any advice for this situation?

Contact your uni to see if they can offer any support or advice for your situation.
Reply 2
Original post by sikikaito

Do you have anyone else to support your application? If no, then please do contact your university as the person mentioned. I am more than sure they can help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending