The Student Room Group

a-level revision tips

hello, I am currently a year 12 student taking biology, chemistry, psychology, sociology and doing a year of early years education( basically I'm working towards getting a reward in that subject) - it's a long story as to why I'm doing it. But I have an EXTREME habit of procrastination and can't seem to get any revision or coursework for EYE done. I want to be a biomedical scientist in the future, and as of now, I don't even think I can get my as-level exams done properly.
Please, what can i do about this and what is everyone's best study tips to ACE their exams, memorise topics and organise their material ( PSA: I am not a naturally intelligent individual and it does take me more time to memorise stuff compared to other people)
Original post by abiiya.
hello, I am currently a year 12 student taking biology, chemistry, psychology, sociology and doing a year of early years education( basically I'm working towards getting a reward in that subject) - it's a long story as to why I'm doing it. But I have an EXTREME habit of procrastination and can't seem to get any revision or coursework for EYE done. I want to be a biomedical scientist in the future, and as of now, I don't even think I can get my as-level exams done properly.
Please, what can i do about this and what is everyone's best study tips to ACE their exams, memorise topics and organise their material ( PSA: I am not a naturally intelligent individual and it does take me more time to memorise stuff compared to other people)
organise yourself into a set routine, use ai, use chatgpt ( to make a plan) . but follow a routine that works for you. and actually do follow it.
Original post by abiiya.
I would recommend finding somewhere else to study rather than being at home - library, coffee shop etc - if you're not at home cooped in your room, it might feel easier to concentrate and be motivated to do work.
recommendations for biology/chemistry/psychology:
past paper questions
seneca learning - gives a good, straightforward overview of everything you need to know
miss estruch biology on youtube
dr de bruins classroom on youtube (chem)
save my exams
quizlet
mind maps

recommendations for sociology:
quizlet
seneca learning
essay plans
mind maps
Reply 3
Original post by erin11
I would recommend finding somewhere else to study rather than being at home - library, coffee shop etc - if you're not at home cooped in your room, it might feel easier to concentrate and be motivated to do work.
recommendations for biology/chemistry/psychology:
past paper questions
seneca learning - gives a good, straightforward overview of everything you need to know
miss estruch biology on youtube
dr de bruins classroom on youtube (chem)
save my exams
quizlet
mind maps

recommendations for sociology:
quizlet
seneca learning
essay plans
mind maps
you are amazing! thank you so much
Reply 4
Original post by jacksmith23
organise yourself into a set routine, use ai, use chatgpt ( to make a plan) . but follow a routine that works for you. and actually do follow it.
thank youu
Original post by abiiya.
you are amazing! thank you so much
you are very welcome, happy studying <3
Original post by abiiya.
Hi @abiiya.

To help beat procrastination when studying at a-level and university, I found it helpful to write a to do list before I started the work, make sure it is achievable and realistic. There is something satisfying and motivating about ticking off tasks! As well, try setting a 30 minute timer, use the 30 minutes to work solidly and then set a 15 minute timer to enjoy a break! Repeat this until you are happy with the amount of work you have completed. I found setting timers ensured I took regular breaks, having a break is important to your motivation and concentration levels, it also makes studying feel less tedious and daunting when you split it into sections!

I hope this helps!

Katie- Roehampton University Rep
Reply 7
Original post by Roehampton Katie
Hi @abiiya.

To help beat procrastination when studying at a-level and university, I found it helpful to write a to do list before I started the work, make sure it is achievable and realistic. There is something satisfying and motivating about ticking off tasks! As well, try setting a 30 minute timer, use the 30 minutes to work solidly and then set a 15 minute timer to enjoy a break! Repeat this until you are happy with the amount of work you have completed. I found setting timers ensured I took regular breaks, having a break is important to your motivation and concentration levels, it also makes studying feel less tedious and daunting when you split it into sections!

I hope this helps!

Katie- Roehampton University Rep
Ok thank you so much! I will be doing this
Reply 8
Original post by abiiya.
Number 1 method for biology is just test papers. Grab a paper and do it, go through it, identify key words to memorise, realise what the invigilator's look for when they mark papers.
KEY WORDS.
Key words are so incredibly important. (same applies to psychology.)
Use quizlet, flashcards anything that you think would help. Make them after every lesson. Get pre-reading done. Make key notes. Its all about the important stuff. There is so much content in Biology you need to separate what gives you marks from background information.
Psychology, again make sure you pre-read, key words (life-saver), identify the perfect essay structure that works for your writing speed and to gain max marks even if you cant finish.
Flash cards are great made them for my recent mock, actual life saver istg.
All I can say is identify important A03 and memorise key studies and memories simple information about other studies (name of researcher, dates complete and exact information not necessary- usually used as examples).
I cant really say much about psychology as I really struggle with A-levels overall and have not found the way to revise that works for me yet, kinda bad with A-levels nearly here.
Also, why are you doing so much (if you plan on going to uni or doing an apprentice you only need 3 A-levels which you do extremely well in instead of several you do average in), A-levels is incredibly draining especially if you procrastinate as much as me. I started with 4 and was completely overwhelmed (had to drop Spanish which I am still upset about). You need to make sure you balance work and an outside life, don't sacrifice everything.
Good luck and well wishes. :]
Reply 9
Original post by Nathan_06
Number 1 method for biology is just test papers. Grab a paper and do it, go through it, identify key words to memorise, realise what the invigilator's look for when they mark papers.
KEY WORDS.
Key words are so incredibly important. (same applies to psychology.)
Use quizlet, flashcards anything that you think would help. Make them after every lesson. Get pre-reading done. Make key notes. Its all about the important stuff. There is so much content in Biology you need to separate what gives you marks from background information.
Psychology, again make sure you pre-read, key words (life-saver), identify the perfect essay structure that works for your writing speed and to gain max marks even if you cant finish.
Flash cards are great made them for my recent mock, actual life saver istg.
All I can say is identify important A03 and memorise key studies and memories simple information about other studies (name of researcher, dates complete and exact information not necessary- usually used as examples).
I cant really say much about psychology as I really struggle with A-levels overall and have not found the way to revise that works for me yet, kinda bad with A-levels nearly here.
Also, why are you doing so much (if you plan on going to uni or doing an apprentice you only need 3 A-levels which you do extremely well in instead of several you do average in), A-levels is incredibly draining especially if you procrastinate as much as me. I started with 4 and was completely overwhelmed (had to drop Spanish which I am still upset about). You need to make sure you balance work and an outside life, don't sacrifice everything.
Good luck and well wishes. :]
thank you so much for the tips! To be honest with you, I wasn't originally meant to take sociology but then due to some circumstances, where I thought I wasn't able to take chemistry, I ended up taking sociology, but then I did end up taking chemistry lmao. Honestly it's one of those things where you have to be there to understand why I took all of these subjects and don't get me started on EYE, I just took that just to get extra UCAS points.
I'm so sorry you had to drop spanish, and yes I understand that all of this is hard work but I don't know, I just feel like I can do it.
Best of luck to you too
Reply 10
Original post by abiiya.
thank you so much for the tips! To be honest with you, I wasn't originally meant to take sociology but then due to some circumstances, where I thought I wasn't able to take chemistry, I ended up taking sociology, but then I did end up taking chemistry lmao. Honestly it's one of those things where you have to be there to understand why I took all of these subjects and don't get me started on EYE, I just took that just to get extra UCAS points.
I'm so sorry you had to drop spanish, and yes I understand that all of this is hard work but I don't know, I just feel like I can do it.
Best of luck to you too
Thanks. Honestly, although I regret dropping Spanish because I love the language but it was extremely hard and I was struggling with the work load of four subjects which led to my anxiety getting progressively worse and my attendance going out the window. So although I hate the fact I dropped Spanish it was definitely best, my attendance hasn't recovered unfortunately and I'm just tryna make it through A-levels with about 4 months left. I am going to dissipate........
Just do what's best for you, I believe you'll do well. Just make sure if it does become overwhelming you ask for help and/or drop out. Don't make my mistake.
Best of wishes and best of luck,
Nathan :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest