The Student Room Group

Need help with improving my grades.

Currently my most recent mock grades were ABC in Maths, Geography and Further Maths.

I would like some advice on how to boost them up to preferably all A’s by the time exams start.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
Advice for geo (I don't take the others tho sorry)
Recently I've been looking through my past paper questions and noting what got good marks. Then I do practice questions and apply the list of do's and don'ts that I just made. You could try that for exam technique improvement?

Key terms are essential in geography, I'd make sure you know the fancy names for things (e.g 'convergent' plate margins rather than 'destructive', or 'temporal' rather than 'over time'). If you struggle with those, check out other people's quizlet cards and revise key terms

Any specific questions for things you struggle with lmk!
Reply 2
Original post by Studying Pigeon
Advice for geo (I don't take the others tho sorry)
Recently I've been looking through my past paper questions and noting what got good marks. Then I do practice questions and apply the list of do's and don'ts that I just made. You could try that for exam technique improvement?

Key terms are essential in geography, I'd make sure you know the fancy names for things (e.g 'convergent' plate margins rather than 'destructive', or 'temporal' rather than 'over time'). If you struggle with those, check out other people's quizlet cards and revise key terms

Any specific questions for things you struggle with lmk!
Oh thanks for the tips.

Also just wondering, for 6 mark ‘Analyse’ questions, is there a set structure to answering those?
Original post by poopy69poopy
Oh thanks for the tips.

Also just wondering, for 6 mark ‘Analyse’ questions, is there a set structure to answering those?
Yes, there's TEA, which is Trend Evidence/ Example and Anomily
Trend- Describe the overall pattern of the data
Evidence- Pick out names, data points, facts and figures, etc, which illustrate the trend you identified
Anomily- Identify part of the figure which stands out from the overall trend you talked about

Use as many things from the figure as possible, like place names, even when it seems really pointless to do so, because you get marks on your frequen reference to the data. Hope it helps!
Reply 4
Original post by Studying Pigeon
Yes, there's TEA, which is Trend Evidence/ Example and Anomily
Trend- Describe the overall pattern of the data
Evidence- Pick out names, data points, facts and figures, etc, which illustrate the trend you identified
Anomily- Identify part of the figure which stands out from the overall trend you talked about

Use as many things from the figure as possible, like place names, even when it seems really pointless to do so, because you get marks on your frequen reference to the data. Hope it helps!
Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest