The Student Room Group

MSc Psychology

Hi, I am seeking some advice please regarding Psychology Conversion Courses. I am trained as a Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapist and Counsellor/Psychotherapist, EMDR Therapist too with extensive experience working in Mental Health. I did complete a research proposal as part of my PG Dip Training as a CBT Therapist, but did not want to complete the Dissertation with the University where I studied, and not specifically in CBT. I have an interest in Health Psychology and research. I have contacted Wolverhampton and Arden University as the courses are BPS Accredited, but I have had very little feedback relating to what is covered and how the courses are set up etc. The Psychology and Mental Health Course did appeal, but then I recognize that I may have covered quite a lot of the subjects. Has anyone started or completed this course please? Would the pure MSc Psychology Course offer something different at either of these Universities? I am a mature student and do need to fit studying around work and family. I am just looking for honest feedback please. I am wanting to deviate slightly from therapy roles. Many Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by miranel38
Hi, I am seeking some advice please regarding Psychology Conversion Courses. I am trained as a Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapist and Counsellor/Psychotherapist, EMDR Therapist too with extensive experience working in Mental Health. I did complete a research proposal as part of my PG Dip Training as a CBT Therapist, but did not want to complete the Dissertation with the University where I studied, and not specifically in CBT. I have an interest in Health Psychology and research. I have contacted Wolverhampton and Arden University as the courses are BPS Accredited, but I have had very little feedback relating to what is covered and how the courses are set up etc. The Psychology and Mental Health Course did appeal, but then I recognize that I may have covered quite a lot of the subjects. Has anyone started or completed this course please? Would the pure MSc Psychology Course offer something different at either of these Universities? I am a mature student and do need to fit studying around work and family. I am just looking for honest feedback please. I am wanting to deviate slightly from therapy roles. Many Thanks.

Conversion courses are designed to cover the core modules required by the BPS to allow graduates to be eligible for graduate basis for chartered membership, so things like research methods, an intro to developmental, cognitive, biological, behavioural psychology, that kind of thing. Because of the requirements of the BPS, they'll all be fairly similar in terms of content.

I've done it the other way round, studied psychology and am not training as a CBT therapist, also interested in training in EMDR in future.
Reply 2
Many thanks for the reply. I think most people may do it the other way round. I will double-check the modules. Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest