The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

University panicking :/

I went to to exeter uni today, which i have had my heart set on for some time, i just don’t feel like it was what i expected at all! it just didn’t have that ‘wow’ factor to it and i didn’t come out thinking this is where i see myself.
i’m now super panicked as ex was my first choice (thankfully i haven’t firmed anywhere yet) but my only other options are durham/york.
i feel super thrown off course, as i had my heart set on ex, has anyone got any advice?
Original post by Anonymous #1
I went to to exeter uni today, which i have had my heart set on for some time, i just don’t feel like it was what i expected at all! it just didn’t have that ‘wow’ factor to it and i didn’t come out thinking this is where i see myself.
i’m now super panicked as ex was my first choice (thankfully i haven’t firmed anywhere yet) but my only other options are durham/york.
i feel super thrown off course, as i had my heart set on ex, has anyone got any advice?
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that! Was there anything in particular that made you feel that way?

My best advice would be to build a clear picture of what you want out of a university. First, look at the courses for the universities you have applied to. These usually vary in terms of contact hours, assessment types, modules on offer, etc. Does one suit you better than the others? Also consider societies available. Again, you might have a particular hobby or sport you are interested in - have a look to see if this is offered at any of the universities you are considering. Finally, think about the area you want to live - how far from home do you want to be, do you prefer campus or city, what sort of night life/social scene would be ideal? Once you have considered these factors, maybe make a pro/con list, and see what comes out at the end!

I would also add that there can be a lot of pressure about choosing the right university. Try to take all that pressure away and just go with your gut! The chances are that you will end up loving the university you end up at!

Please do let me know if there are any questions you still have about the University of Exeter and I will do my best to answer them! Wishing you the best of luck with your decision!

Kitty
University of Exeter Student Ambassador
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Original post by ExeterStudentRep
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that! Was there anything in particular that made you feel that way?

My best advice would be to build a clear picture of what you want out of a university. First, look at the courses for the universities you have applied to. These usually vary in terms of contact hours, assessment types, modules on offer, etc. Does one suit you better than the others? Also consider societies available. Again, you might have a particular hobby or sport you are interested in - have a look to see if this is offered at any of the universities you are considering. Finally, think about the area you want to live - how far from home do you want to be, do you prefer campus or city, what sort of night life/social scene would be ideal? Once you have considered these factors, maybe make a pro/con list, and see what comes out at the end!

I would also add that there can be a lot of pressure about choosing the right university. Try to take all that pressure away and just go with your gut! The chances are that you will end up loving the university you end up at!

Please do let me know if there are any questions you still have about the University of Exeter and I will do my best to answer them! Wishing you the best of luck with your decision!

Kitty
University of Exeter Student Ambassador
i’m not sure at the minute, i think it was mainly in relation to the social aspect of the day, although there were Q&As it wasn’t very sociable between the students which i think is important! today was my first impression of exeter so admittedly i probably should’ve gone to an open day - i just feel kinda disheartened. i’ll definitely do some deeper thinking about what i want, but thank you.
Have you had a chance to visit the other unis? Remember you don't need to choose your firm and insurance until you've received all of your decisions, and normally have about a month or so after that (at mininum) to decide :smile:

It's good to visit unis as sometimes you may find you just don't "gel" with a particular uni as you found in this case - better to find that out before making a choice than after you've started the course!
I’d definitely visit the other unis you have offers from if you are able to
Original post by Anonymous #1
i’m not sure at the minute, i think it was mainly in relation to the social aspect of the day, although there were Q&As it wasn’t very sociable between the students which i think is important! today was my first impression of exeter so admittedly i probably should’ve gone to an open day - i just feel kinda disheartened. i’ll definitely do some deeper thinking about what i want, but thank you.
When you say it wasn’t very sociable between the students do you mean current 1st years helping out at the Offer Holder Days ?

If so, I would say (and I'm not being rude here) that the typical students who volunteer for OHDs - on a Saturday - aren't necessarily typical students, if you get what I mean.

Most would be up late on Friday night and probably sleeping through to late morning / early afternoon
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
Have you had a chance to visit the other unis? Remember you don't need to choose your firm and insurance until you've received all of your decisions, and normally have about a month or so after that (at mininum) to decide :smile:

It's good to visit unis as sometimes you may find you just don't "gel" with a particular uni as you found in this case - better to find that out before making a choice than after you've started the course!
atm i only have york to visit, but i was quite pressured into the choices i made as i applied to uni super late ☹️ but i just love the idea of going down south
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous #2
When you say it wasn’t very sociable between the students do you mean current 1st years helping out at the Offer Holder Days ?

If so, I would say (and I'm not being rude here) that the typical students who volunteer for OHDs - on a Saturday - aren't necessarily typical students, if you get what I mean.

Most would be up late on Friday night and probably sleeping through to late morning / early afternoon
no there just wasn’t any opportunities to for the students to interact, at least in my experience which i thought was a real shame
Reply 8
Original post by Squiggles1238
I’d definitely visit the other unis you have offers from if you are able to
yeah i’m still waiting on 2 of my offers, but i love the fact exeter is down south - one of my big factors

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending