The Student Room Group

Physiotherapy: Coventry of Huddersfield?

I'm currently at the point of deciding which uni to firm for 2024 entry, as I've got two offers from my top choices of Cov and Hudds. However, after visiting them both twice now, I still don't know which to pick.

Does anyone know anything about the physio course, facilities, unis in general or accommodation that could help with my decision?

Thanks, any advice is appreciated :smile:
Original post by islarog06
I'm currently at the point of deciding which uni to firm for 2024 entry, as I've got two offers from my top choices of Cov and Hudds. However, after visiting them both twice now, I still don't know which to pick.

Does anyone know anything about the physio course, facilities, unis in general or accommodation that could help with my decision?

Ask for the timetable for both unis to see when placements are for all years of the course. Timetables can vary a lot and placements might be in the holidays (my daughter didn't firm one of her offers as she found out that she would only get four weeks off in summer, whereas she gets the whole summer at her current uni). Also look at placement locations and think about how you would get to them from uni.
Reply 2
Original post by normaw
Ask for the timetable for both unis to see when placements are for all years of the course. Timetables can vary a lot and placements might be in the holidays (my daughter didn't firm one of her offers as she found out that she would only get four weeks off in summer, whereas she gets the whole summer at her current uni). Also look at placement locations and think about how you would get to them from uni.
Thanks for your reply.

I've got the timetable for Coventry and it looks good. No placements in first year so I'll understand what I'm doing before I go on placement. The order they teach everything makes sense i.e. anatomy then abnormal anatomy then specific disorders then treatment then placement.

Huddersfield don't yet have their timetable as they're in the process of getting their CSP accreditation revised. I know that they do have placements in first year though in 2nd semester.

I would assume both holidays are the same but again I'm unaware for Huddersfield.

From this it seems as though Coventry is a safer option as I know that I like the structure.
Hi @islarog06

Thank you for considering us as one of your options!

I can see someone in the thread has mentioned timetabling- you can find our term dates on our website here:
https://students.hud.ac.uk/unilife/termdates/

And if you want to hear from one of our students what it's like studying on the course and what their placements are like:
Luke - why I chose physiotherapy: https://blogs.hud.ac.uk/students/which-university/why-luke-chose-physiotherapy/

Luke - my placement experience: https://blogs.hud.ac.uk/students/which-university/why-luke-chose-physiotherapy/

If you want to watch some videos about student life with us, take a look at our Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/huddersfielduni/reels/

And if you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to reply to this thread :smile:

Best wishes,
Lewis

Social media and content officer, University of Huddersfield
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 5
Original post by University of Huddersfield
Hi @islarog06
Thank you for considering us as one of your options!
I can see someone in the thread has mentioned timetabling- you can find our term dates on our website here:
https://students.hud.ac.uk/unilife/termdates/
And if you want to hear from one of our students what it's like studying on the course and what their placements are like:
Luke - why I chose physiotherapy: https://blogs.hud.ac.uk/students/which-university/why-luke-chose-physiotherapy/
Luke - my placement experience: https://blogs.hud.ac.uk/students/which-university/why-luke-chose-physiotherapy/
If you want to watch some videos about student life with us, take a look at our Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/huddersfielduni/reels/
And if you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to reply to this thread :smile:
Best wishes,
Lewis
Social media and content officer, University of Huddersfield

Thanks for this!

Will the placements be in term time?

Also what kind of facilities will be available to me in September i.e. in the Daphne Steele building? Coventry has some amazing facilities so that is one of the deciding factors, but they weren't made incredibly clear at the applicant visit day?
Thanks for this!
Will the placements be in term time?
Also what kind of facilities will be available to me in September i.e. in the Daphne Steele building? Coventry has some amazing facilities so that is one of the deciding factors, but they weren't made incredibly clear at the applicant visit day?

Hi @islarog06 ,
Apologies for the delayed reply, we managed to get in touch with one of our Physiotherapy students to write you a response hopefully answering all f your queries, please see below :smile::

"Hi islaroh06
I am Luke, a Second Year Student Physiotherapist at the University of Huddersfield.First of all, congratulations on securing multiple offers to study Physiotherapy in September. It’s a big achievement and from my own experience I can say there are many amazing opportunities that ahead.

In relation to placements, I know this is really important part of your final decision on where you would like to go and actually it was having a placement in first year that was such an important factor in that decision for me, which on reflection has turned out to be really beneficial. We had a three week placement in first year, shorter than those you will have in 2nd and 3rd year at five weeks. This first year placement was placed just before the Easter Holidays making it a really useful opportunity in seeing all that theory gained throughout the year in a clinical setting, adding context and cementing that prior learning.

All placements and those ahead in third year have been within term time, so your summer break wouldn’t be affected unless you needed to re-sit a placement, however that is very rare. There is currently one placement I am aware of in second year where we have a shortened Easter break in order to be back in university for the summer practical/oral exam period, however you get this time back elsewhere and going out on placement just before your exams is fantastic preparation/revision, especially for our practical skills.

The core subjects we had in first year, were anatomy and physiology and although the structure will change for you, I am almost certain those core elements will still be included because, as I am sure you are aware, they are the essential foundation knowledge in Physiotherapy.

In relation to the Daphne Steele building, the latest update we received from our lecturers is that the building is currently still on track to open in September, which will be another brilliant facility that we will have access too, but even the current facilities at Huddersfield are excellent. I am not sure what exactly you were able to see during your visit to Huddersfield, but our main base is currently the Ramsden building, which I personally really like, because it has a hospital feel about it. In addition to that we also have practical sessions in the sports science labs in the Richard Steinitz Building and we’ve had a number of cardio respiratory sessions in the nursing simulation labs in the Harold Wilson building learning the practical skills of intubating and suctioning patients on very high-tech life like Mannequins, which was quite frankly been awesome. This is also an aspect that a lot of Physiotherapy courses don’t offer, as those skills are often acquired upon further training when qualified.

Other aspects of the student experience that I really value here at Huddersfield is that we have a great Physiotherapy Society, which is currently run by some of my friends on the course, there is heaps of support available from academic skills to wellbeing and everything in between and one of the most important aspects for me, is the community feel we have on the course and across the wider campus. We have a really good working relationship with the tutors and because we are a reasonably small cohort, all the lecturers know us all my name and take the time and care to get to know us individually. Many of them even attend the student led yearly physio ball at the end of the year.

I hope this is helpful and answers your queries, but if you have any other questions about the course or the student experience here at Huddersfield that would be helpful to you in making your decision, then please don’t hesitate to reply to this feed, as I am more than happy to help in any way I can.

All the best,
Luke"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending