The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
amylase55
ah it was thanks, i dont actually know too much about predicted grades

Your teachers will predict grades for you depending on how you've been doing so far and the universities will accept/decline you accordingly (also your personal statement and everything else have alot to do with it, but I think grades come first) :smile:
Reply 21
Depends if you want to go to Sheff or not, or you would prefer to do the degree straight away. My first choice was actually Manchester, but they rejected me so I came to Sheff. In hindsight it was a good decision...although I was gutted that Manchester rejected me (bastards! lol)

Ultimately the decision is a factor of the external (i.e. city, department, reputation [well pretty pointless because all unis that teach Jap are highly ranked]) and the internal factors (such as the make-up of the course and degree structure.)

I really don't know how much research you have done on the unis you have applied to and looked into what is expected of you on the course. I think if you are relatively open minded, there is not much of a clear distinction between all the unis (maybe with the exception of Leeds with the YA in Year II) and so as such it surely rests with your own personal feelings on the matter. All I can say is do the research thoroughly and make an educated decision.

AntoineUK
*One of the most beautiful cities in the world
*24th in Qs international university ranking
*Excellent reputation (Don't mind the 18th on the times this year)
*I love Japan an anime too and believe the place is great :tongue: (not a reason lol)

Edinburgh doesn't even have an EAS department...:shifty: Its an okay uni for Japanese but sadly not for the reasons you've listed.

AntoineUK
well manchester has a good international reputation according to qs so if you plan on living in japan , going there shouldn't be a problem :smile:

Please be quiet. It hasn't even produced a graduate in JS yet... :shifty:

OP I've posted random crap about this before, so you can sift through all my neurotic postings like some internet stalker if you wish. I'll just be repeating myself here like some broken record.
Reply 22
Sheffield is excellent for East Asian Studies apparently. I know a girl who did Chinese or something there and is now working in Hong Kong (she's English). I don't know how Manchester is for Japanese Studies but I'm not sure it's worth waiting another year and gamble another application.
Reply 23
If you haven't already, go on open days/visits. Get a taste for what the course has to offer, what the lecturers are like, what the city is like etc. You'll need to make this decision yourself, so better to go to uni with the knowledge that you've gone to the right place for you. :smile:

Although, I'm not going to lie to you, Sheffield is awesome!
Reply 24
I really didn't like the Japanese department in Manchester at all. From your choices, I would choose Sheffield :smile:
I didn't like Manchester either for Japanese, Sheffield would be better. Leeds is bloody good though, I must say :biggrin:
Reply 26
gaijin

Please be quiet. It hasn't even produced a graduate in JS yet... :shifty:

True, but I can imagine them becoming very competitive in the years to come, and if you look at their record in other national studies programmes, there's a pretty good record.

I am slightly biased as I am taught by one of the Japanese teachers on a LEAP course, and I was very impressed, good teaching compared to some of the courses I have been subjected to in the past by various educators, in various languages.

Manchester is expanding massivley, it's like Kia (the car company) they seem to have some kind of world domination plan and are trying to dominate every sector. Come back in 10 years, it will be interesting to see where they stand. Obviously, this is no help to the OP however. :yep:
Reply 27
Ramryan
True, but I can imagine them becoming very competitive in the years to come, and if you look at their record in other national studies programmes, there's a pretty good record.

Point taken. However its irrational to say their department is one of the best one other unis like SOAS, Leeds and Sheff have been teaching Japanese for 40 years plus...

I think you would have to wait at least a decade for it to build up a reputation. I think the first intake was in 2007, so you have to wait 2011 for the first graduates of the programme. Only then, can you really assess it. Now its slightly intangible with the basis of potential - but yeah, given their record on some of their other language programmes, its main aim would be to rise up to the level of those unis I've listed.

Manchester is expanding massivley, it's like Kia (the car company) they seem to have some kind of world domination plan and are trying to dominate every sector. Come back in 10 years, it will be interesting to see where they stand. Obviously, this is no help to the OP however. :yep:

Its interesting that they have effectively moulded the copy of SOAS's JS programme and pretty much run it in the same way they do. I think I was unlucky when I applied because I would have been one of the first do the programme and as such I think the offers they bandied about were unlikely to include matures and non A-levelers like myself. Would be interesting to see what kind of make-up of students they have on the course though.
Reply 28
gaijin
Point taken. However its irrational to say their department is one of the best one other unis like SOAS, Leeds and Sheff have been teaching Japanese for 40 years plus...

I think you would have to wait at least a decade for it to build up a reputation. I think the first intake was in 2007, so you have to wait 2011 for the first graduates of the programme. Only then, can you really assess it. Now its slightly intangible with the basis of potential - but yeah, given their record on some of their other language programmes, its main aim would be to rise up to the level of those unis I've listed.

Its interesting that they have effectively moulded the copy of SOAS's JS programme and pretty much run it in the same way they do. I think I was unlucky when I applied because I would have been one of the first do the programme and as such I think the offers they bandied about were unlikely to include matures and non A-levelers like myself. Would be interesting to see what kind of make-up of students they have on the course though.

That's true. It's practically copying... it adds the argument that they really are trying to reach the very highest levels of competition in British Universities.

It's something of a risk, They were for a time offering lower than average entry grades as well, as the course is new. If it turns out to be very succesful, it could turn out to be a good investment as the prestige of the department rises in the future... Obviously the big flaw there is it's a pretty big gamble!
Reply 29
this is true but i get the impression manchester is quite highly rated in most areas but yeah we shall see how they fair for languages..
Reply 30
I have offers for both too.. does anyone here do Japanese at Manchester? I'd like to hear how you find it :^_^:
Reply 31
kimoso
I have offers for both too.. does anyone here do Japanese at Manchester? I'd like to hear how you find it :^_^:

Bumping this 'cuz I'd like to know too, having got an offer :yep:

Oh and also wondering if anyone is going to an open day - personally I'm going on the 25th this month if I remember rightly.
Reply 32
I'm a second year JS student at Manchester - so basically my class is the first cohort! as the course is still young the teaching is not always very organised. but the quality of teaching is pretty good, especially in the non-language modules like history and society. one thing Manchester stands out among all the uni that offer JS is the Year Abroad programme. Manchester offers some of the best universities in Japan for the study abroad - Kyoto, Keio, Osaka, Kobe etc, while Sheffield and Edinburgh may only offer one prestigious university with a few mediocre universities.
Reply 33
vivwc107
I'm a second year JS student at Manchester - so basically my class is the first cohort! as the course is still young the teaching is not always very organised. but the quality of teaching is pretty good, especially in the non-language modules like history and society. one thing Manchester stands out among all the uni that offer JS is the Year Abroad programme. Manchester offers some of the best universities in Japan for the study abroad - Kyoto, Keio, Osaka, Kobe etc, while Sheffield and Edinburgh may only offer one prestigious university with a few mediocre universities.

ah that sounds good. can i ask how many people are there per year for the course roughly?
Reply 34
amylase55
ah that sounds good. can i ask how many people are there per year for the course roughly?

well as there are only 2 year groups so far, I think the number will still fluctuate a bit in future years. my year has about 20 students, the year below as 60, although I don't know how many has dropped out...

there have been a few drop-outs because the student wasn't prepared for an intensive language-learning degree. One guy is currently repeating first year because he failed to pass his modules. A couple of girls just didn't turn up to classes. some new students just come thinking they want to study manga and anime so they weren't prepared to study grammar and keigo and kanji and thus found it difficult.

the language-learning here is quite intensive - the tutors expect us to do a lot of independent study. we're expected to pass Level 2 on the JLPT by the end of the 3rd year and Level 1 by the time we graduate from uni.
Reply 35
vivwc107
Manchester offers some of the best universities in Japan for the study abroad - Kyoto, Keio, Osaka, Kobe etc, while Sheffield and Edinburgh may only offer one prestigious university with a few mediocre universities.

source?
i was always under the impression that Sheffield offered the best ones, it certainly has the most anyway

plus it has that partnership thing going on with Leeds hmm
Reply 36
randomjak
source?
i was always under the impression that Sheffield offered the best ones, it certainly has the most anyway

Yeah, I was really surprised when I saw the list for Sheffield, it was bloody awesome, I'm pretty sure they have the best links with universities in Japan. I'm studying at SOAS and our partnerships are pretty decent but I'm surprised we don't have one with Todai, Sheffield does :eek:
Leeds doesn't have the best links, but they're getting better... Waseda anyone? :biggrin:
Leeds doesn't have the best links, but they're getting better... Waseda anyone? :biggrin:
Reply 39
Tidasquall
Yeah, I was really surprised when I saw the list for Sheffield, it was bloody awesome, I'm pretty sure they have the best links with universities in Japan. I'm studying at SOAS and our partnerships are pretty decent but I'm surprised we don't have one with Todai, Sheffield does :eek:

ahh nice :smile: how's it going?

i got an offer from SOAS but it was AAB and sheffield was my first choice, at ABB, so there wasn't really much point putting it as an insurance hahaa

bring onnnn september

Latest

Trending

Trending