Lucozade is not appropriate for replacing the fluid lost during diarrhoea- why?

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
gamer91
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
why does my lucozade bottle say this?
patrickthestarfish
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 13 years ago
Because its a diuretic?
belis
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
Becouse it is mostly a glucose in water solution and what you realy need to replenish is electrolytes.
Revd. Mike
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
Because people might think because it's often thought of as a sports drink that it's good to rehydrate you, which it is not. Lucozade Hydroactive or something might be better.

Better yet, oral rehydration sachets.
gamer91
Rep:
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by Revd. Mike)
Because people might think because it's often thought of as a sports drink that it's good to rehydrate you, which it is not. Lucozade Hydroactive or something might be better.

Better yet, oral rehydration sachets.
don't worry, I don't have diarrhoea, I just spotted it on the bottle and thought it was rather curious.
im so academic
Badges: 15
Report 13 years ago
fluid lost is mainly water i.e. to replace the fluid, you drink water, not lucozade.

(I think).
pixiepeep
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
I think there's a sort of "old wives tale" surrounding Lucozade, as my parents always used to give me a bottle whenever I was ill to perk me up, and perhaps some people believe its the best thing to have once you're ill? I dunno, I just remember everytime I was off sick from school when I was little I'd get a bottle or two of Lucozade to sip on.

I think the recommendation is there because it contains a lot of sugar, so if you were to drink more than one and a half 500ml bottles then you're going over your RDA of sugar in a very short period of time.
DontBuyTheSun
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by pixiepeep)
I think there's a sort of "old wives tale" surrounding Lucozade, as my parents always used to give me a bottle whenever I was ill to perk me up, and perhaps some people believe its the best thing to have once you're ill? I dunno, I just remember everytime I was off sick from school when I was little I'd get a bottle or two of Lucozade to sip on.
I think it was initially an energy drink, so when your Ill it will give you a boost.

Its been re-marketed to a sports drink now.
pixiepeep
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by DontBuyTheSun)
I think it was initially an energy drink, so when your Ill it will give you a boost.

Its been re-marketed to a sports drink now.
Was great when I was recovering from an op not long back to give me a boost and get me up and about quicker
Andylol
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
Imo... It's good to give a boost to your energy, but it's not suitable to replenish the fluid lost during diahorrea (spelling?) because it's mostly water - and lucozade is full of sugar.

So attempting to drink too much of it = baaaaaaad. One bottle of lucozade is like... 33% of your daily recommended amount of sugar? Something like that
InArduisFouette
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
'traditional ' lucozade is primarily sugar in fizzy water , i'm not sure what %age solution it is but i suspect it's hypertonic and just what you don't want if you are dehydrated

10 % glucose solution and stronger is considered hypertonic from the point of view Intravenous fluids
xhelen1989x
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
Yep, its full of sugar, so you should just drink water for rehydration. The original has less sugar than all the other (about 35% of your RDA) but the other ones orange (Which i'm actually addicted to lol :erm:) etc have like 59%!
TallWall
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I don't really get it. I thought that during Diarrhea you also lose electrolytes - which Lucozade contains. So surely adding some Lucozade to your re-hydration is going to help? Obviously it is high in glucose so you would be silly to use it on it's own. But would a large glass of water and a bottle of Lucozade not be better than just some water? However they specifically say that it's not appropriate for fluid lost during diarrhea so maybe there is something I'm missing?
Blondie69
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
If it makes you feel better drink what you like. Sick of all these people saying don't do this and don't do that.if your really poorly and haven't eaten or drank for a day or so drink what makes you well. If it gets u back on your feet again do what's best for you.
Dylia
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I just bought lucozade and am having diarrhoea so i shouldnt drink it?
X
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (8)
34.78%
They're exactly what I expected (7)
30.43%
They're lower than I expected (8)
34.78%

Watched Threads