The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
PasserBy9
Do you mean the Helly Hansen baselayers? If so, then I reckon just about anyone that ever got issued with the old style T-shirts probably has a HH. It is only recently that they have been issuing the quick-wicking type t-shirts, before them the t-shirts would just act like a sponge on a TAB.
I do admit that the new tees are good but find that a HH keeps me warmer when static in winter, definitely a good purchase (I always use one of my two green ones, one long and one short sleeve, because I think you look like a dork if you wear a Blue HH on Ex). Plus you can use them for civilian PT gear as well, rather than using issue ones and being a complete Tool.

As for compression shorts, I personally can't do it (Yes, I'll admit I've tried it). They do stop everything from rubbing etc, but they just compress a bit too much for my liking - if you understand what I mean. Actually the HH boxers are good, they hold everything in place without binding. But I suppose it is a matter of personal preference as to how much support everyone wants.

My twopenneth worth... In my opinion, the new issue t-shirts are poo (I actually prefer the old ones!). I've got a green HH baselayer, and if it weighed anything, it would be worth it's weight in gold. The only thing that stops me buying loads is the price. At £25 a pop, although amazing, they aren't cheap.

(and yes, people who wear blue/black/other coloured ones on ex do look a tad strange!)
Not in the army, but its time for pith to make a come-back, especially with all these desert wars:

Spiffing.
Reply 22
thundernuts
Whats the consensus on the Halley Hansen layers - worth the money? Quite a few people seem to wear them, but the issue Tshirts are made of some sort of mesh material so do they have the same effect, but short sleeve instead? Some people swear by them, others dont see the need. Also, a guy i was doing some training with swore by the boxer shorts Rugby players wear as underwear, good for stopping chaving, rubbing and keeping the blood flowing apperently.
Next week i need to buy various things to recoup my years losses (including 3 LED mini lights which i never got back after lending them...), i'll let you know if i find anything.
My number one piece of kit however at this time of the year has got to be without a doubt that scarf neck/face cover they give you.

The headover? You've got to be having a laugh, right? That is the most itchy, uncomfortable nasty bit of bit ever to crawl out of stores. Bin it and either get a similar thing that *doesn't* irritate the feck out of your neck and face (e.g. one of these: http://www.buffwear.co.uk/) or for the more switched on soldier, a shemag like this: http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.gunsmokearmyshop.com/marpatzone/shemag%2520tan.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.gunsmokearmyshop.com/marpatzone/index.htm&h=464&w=500&sz=41&tbnid=OBmkyIOzyx7VfM::&tbnh=121&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dshemag&usg=__DXi5fK8zN3STGb-Jdzqmu-2Rewc=&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=6&ct=image&cd=1
Reply 23
FiveFiveSix
(and yes, people who wear blue/black/other coloured ones on ex do look a tad strange!)

I bought the smallest size green one I could and it was too baggy to be effective so I had to get a black one. HH seem to assume women don't want green lifas. Although i'm now glad I've got a load of black ones as I use them for civvy stuff. Plus they go with my dark grey buffalo which I love as you can put all your junk in the front pocket.
Reply 24
What are the thoughts on these? http://www.rvops.co.uk/clothing-eyewear-78/hats-gloves-36/lowe-alpine-mountain-gtx-cap-1793.html

If you ask me, they look gash, but all the DS at Catterick swear by them...

Raises the question, can something be so un-Ally, it is in fact ally?
If you wait until you can do something proper and get issued the proper kit for it, you can get one issued. The 'deputy dawg' hat of old has been updated to a DPM version of that Lowe hat.
Stop wasting your money and use the issue kit - it is really much better than it ever has been. Buy something if you'll get a difference out of it and it will get well-used - not because you want to look ally.
Reply 26
ProStacker
If you wait until you can do something proper and get issued the proper kit for it, you can get one issued. The 'deputy dawg' hat of old has been updated to a DPM version of that Lowe hat.
Stop wasting your money and use the issue kit - it is really much better than it ever has been. Buy something if you'll get a difference out of it and it will get well-used - not because you want to look ally.

Compliments of the season to you too ol' boy...

Bah humbug...
Reply 27
look at these fine chaps for ally kit:
http://www.legion-of-frontiersmen.net/
Reply 28
FiveFiveSix
What are the thoughts on these? http://www.rvops.co.uk/clothing-eyewear-78/hats-gloves-36/lowe-alpine-mountain-gtx-cap-1793.html

Absolultely mega bits of kit. Nuff said.
Reply 29
FiveFiveSix

I've had one a while now, worth the money.
Helly or under armour tactical everytime!! 556, explain the cats eyes and inner tube for me?
Reply 31
LV - Cat's eyes and NBC boot cut-off doesn't really serve much of a purpose except looking good. However, as with all ally kit it must have a pretext.

The NBC boot helps to stop the cover from slipping off, it also protects the cover it a little when you put your helmet down.
The Cat's eyes is good for writing your name on, plus blood type and "NO PEN" etc. It's also good when stumbling along in the pitch black as you can see the bloke in front.

Just make sure you get the photoluminescent ones rather than the retroreflective ones.
Reply 32
Tomm_UK
LV - Cat's eyes and NBC boot cut-off doesn't really serve much of a purpose except looking good. However, as with all ally kit it must have a pretext.

The NBC boot helps to stop the cover from slipping off, it also protects the cover it a little when you put your helmet down.
The Cat's eyes is good for writing your name on, plus blood type and "NO PEN" etc. It's also good when stumbling along in the pitch black as you can see the bloke in front.

Just make sure you get the photoluminescent ones rather than the retroreflective ones.

No seriously, apart from looking ally, they do have a serious purpose. Everyone I know gets issued a size large helmet cover, no matter the size of their battle bowler. Luckily, I managed to blag a medium from the QM (no mean feat), but the number of times I've seen covers go pinging off (especially on a tab) is unreal. Also it really does stop the bottom fraying and wearing through. NBC boots are gash though, landrover innertube is the way forward.

I haven't got anything written on my cats eyes, but I have got my zap number and blood group on the front elastic straps.

I know I'm just reiterating what Tomm said, but it's genuine...

Oh, and lol @ the guys who get the reflecting strips... Bad drills :rolleyes:
I love sitting in front of the fire, hearing you grizzled vets tell tales of great kit and how it helps. Keep those lamps swinging.
Reply 34
Pull up a sandbag Prostacker ol' boy...

Care for a wee dram from my hip flask? The ultimate in ally accessories.

(Sarcasm really doesn't become you, by the way)
Tomm_UK

Thanks, cats eyes were on the RMAS kit list, I fathomed what they were for but was intrigued by this tip that 556 had.

I don't have many tips other than removing the steel frame from the old engineers bergen - lightens it up and makes it sit more comfortably when in CEMO. You can also stuff more in it and it makes a great place to sit and eat if you are lazy like me and just throw sleeping bag in without using the stuff sack (thank you gore-tex bivvy bag!). I prefer the gingerbeers bergen to the long back as you can't crawl with a long back on without having your kevlar obscure all vision and you can't lift your head (and I'm tall!)

On the T-Shirts - not a fan of either TBH, new is better than old but still prefer a Helly Lifa, Helly warm or Under Armour tactical. I love Lowas :biggrin:
Reply 36
Lady Venom
Thanks, cats eyes were on the RMAS kit list, I fathomed what they were for but was intrigued by this tip that 556 had.

I don't have many tips other than removing the steel frame from the old engineers bergen - lightens it up and makes it sit more comfortably when in CEMO. You can also stuff more in it and it makes a great place to sit and eat if you are lazy like me and just throw sleeping bag in without using the stuff sack (thank you gore-tex bivvy bag!). I prefer the gingerbeers bergen to the long back as you can't crawl with a long back on without having your kevlar obscure all vision and you can't lift your head (and I'm tall!)

On the T-Shirts - not a fan of either TBH, new is better than old but still prefer a Helly Lifa, Helly warm or Under Armour tactical. I love Lowas :biggrin:

Combat handbag? About as ally as pink fluffy socks.

Take your point about the longback though, that is a pain in the prone!
FiveFiveSix

Take your point about the longback though, that is a pain in the prone!

Poor short people. We'll bring back the bowling bag for you teeny weenies then.
Reply 38
ProStacker
Poor short people. We'll bring back the bowling bag for you teeny weenies then.

Noooo, not the combat handbag! Besides, it's 'other arms'... Speaks for itself really...

I'm 6ft 1, and the longback still bashes the back of my poor, tender napper.

Latest