The Student Room Group

Physics c/w question

Ok, I've got 24/30 at the moment. But once I do the diagram in my plan right it'll go up to 29. (Stupid hierarchy system!)

Which is fine, but I want that last mark. It's in my evaluation - talking about systematic errors. Can anyone tell me what those are exactly?

My experiment was measuring how resistance changes with different lengths of wire. Then calculating restivity.
Reply 2

So er... other wires in the circuit using up current?
Maybe your voltmeter and your ammeter were not accurately calibrated?
Reply 4
endeavour
Maybe your voltmeter and your ammeter were not accurately calibrated?

I've already done the percentage errors of those. They were both on 0.00 to begin with too.
Reply 5
Use the length. It would make your graphs look much neater. This is because the resistance of a wire is directly proportional to its length.

This proportionality can be shown when you plot the results for the resistance of the wire (on the y-axis) against its length (on the x-axis). If the two plotted variables are proportional to each other then the line shall pass trough the intercept and have a constant gradient.

Look up something called "Resistivity". Basically, it is like a resistance to electric current factor in wires of different materials. The formula is actually:

R=((pl)/a)

I just think if you look up what it is it will help you to understand it more. Although because it is not on your GCSE syllabus I wouldn't mention it.

Now apply your GCSE Mathematics. You know that:

y=mx+c : In this case you are plotting y against x

Compare that to: R=((pl)/a)

Because you are plotting R against l this means that R=y AND l=x

In fact therefore:

R=(p/a)l

Intercept at the origin because c=0.

So just mention that after doing a bunch of results for the same wire, where you were just varying the length, and after having a plotted a graph for R against l you noticed that the resistance of the wire is directly proportional to its length.

Proportionality means that when y is prop. to x y=kx where k is the constant of proportionality.

MAKING SURE YOU USE THE WIRE OF SAME MATERIAL... READ ON:

To get extra marks you could also do a few experiments where you are varying the cross sectional area of the wire. Now plot R against the cross sectional area of the wire. You will get a graph that gives high resistance when the area is low and low when high. Look at the graph... Look at the gradient.

Comparing to y=mx+c R=((pl)/a) something should tell you. You will see that is inversely proportional to a => R=(k/a) where in this case the constant of proportionality is pl.

So just same that you used a wire of the same material and you found out that:

Its Resistance is directly proportional to its length (i.e. the longer the wire is the bigger the resistance)

And

Inversely proportional to its area (i. e. the bigger the area the smaller the resistance).

Remember and mention this; throughought you have used wires of the same material, and when you were verying the length you kept the wire of the same area, and when you were varying the area you were experimenting with the same length.

Newton.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t80481.html

Newton.
Percentage error is usually used to evaluate systematic error. Perhaps if you explained how this accomodates for systematic error it owuld help. Things that could effect the systematic error:
as you said, resistance in the other wires in the circuit
internal resistance of your power source
error in measuring the length of wire, or in measuring CSA if you did that
erm, can't think of any atm.
I'd explain what systematic error is, where it comes from in your experiment and how you can evaluate it (percentage error) and reduce it in future experiments. :smile:
Reply 7
Golden Maverick
Percentage error is usually used to evaluate systematic error. Perhaps if you explained how this accomodates for systematic error it owuld help. Things that could effect the systematic error:
as you said, resistance in the other wires in the circuit
internal resistance of your power source
error in measuring the length of wire, or in measuring CSA if you did that
erm, can't think of any atm.
I'd explain what systematic error is, where it comes from in your experiment and how you can evaluate it (percentage error) and reduce it in future experiments. :smile:

Crocodile clips are bad because they're fat, and could be mm's out! :eek:

Internal resistance is a good one.

Thanks!

Latest

Trending

Trending