The Student Room Group

Advice on how to do well in the IB, tips, anything will do!

:confused: Hi guys!
I really need some help! I wanna go for medicine (UK) and I know there is a great deal of competition! I am taking:

Biology HL
Chemistry HL
English A1 HL
Math SL (Methods)
French Abintio
Business and management SL

I really need to get high grades! I really don't know what to do!

Anyone got any tips for any of these subjects or in general! Anything I should watch out for or avoid in the IB. Anything I should do! What should I be doing now (Half way through year 1) to get alot of 7's?

PLEASE HELP, any help would be appreciated!

THank you so much! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
the only advice i have to say is do not for one second slack off in your first year. working hard in your first year makes the second year so so much easier. its easier not to do as much work in the first year of the ib because generally most of the assessments are in the second year but just dont do it! knuckle down and get into the mindset of coming home every day and doing at least an hour of work. also, looking ahead a lot more try and do some extra curricular things that look good on a personal statement for medicine because uni application is just as much about personal statements as well as grades!!

hope that helps
Reply 2
1) do your homework
2) work on time management
3) use weekends to go over notes
4) use the syllabus to study. make sure ur familiar with it
5) for french, practise writing essays. do 1 a week
6) For english, read ur textbook. do you have English for the IB Diploma? Also the OSC revision guide is very useful. learn ur literary terms!!
7)practise a maths question everyday
Reply 3
first you need to know your notes very well, make sure you have alot of practice of those. Especially for your science subjects, you need to apply your tools developed to the exam questions (eg stating relationship and analyse data.). I see that you take french ab initio, you may use less time on it and focus on the difficult subjects such as english A1 (very difficult to get 7). Also learn your syllabus well so that you know approximately what the examiner will question you in exams (eg know your definitions and major laws for sciences)

THen you need to finish your EE asap (at least nearly done during summer) so that you dont have to worry about it in IB2.
Reply 4
you should change maths methods to maths studies! Some will tell you that you need it for medicine, but my friend did studies and she's now doing medicine at KCL! Regardless of whether you can DO methods, the fact that it takes up a portion of your time meaning there's less time left for your other options means that its not worth it. Studies is incredibly easy and basicallt GCSE maths with a bit more statistics. Right now, you may feel you can do it etc. but when it gets to end of yr12, start of yr13, you'll be looking for all the difference ways possible to maximise your time. I was the same, and i changed from Maths HL to studies in December of Year 13! very late, but it had to be done and it was that very decision that got me where i am now!

Aside from that, I would also say DON'T IGNORE THE BONUS POINTS! They are life savers. With a little bit of work, it really is not hard to get 3 bonus points! Make sure your Extended Essay is done before year13 starts. You don't necessarily need to take TOK seriously the whole time but when it gets to the TOK essay and presentation, work on it and ask for as much help as possible!

having gone through the IB, you feel this wisdom within you that you just HAVE to impart on anyone who will listen! i'm sure once you're all done with it you'll be exactly the same! :p:

GOOD LUCK!
Reply 5
sak-y
you should change maths methods to maths studies! Some will tell you that you need it for medicine, but my friend did studies and she's now doing medicine at KCL!

Are you sure that this applies to all medicine courses, i.e. do you reckon that universities like UCL/Oxbridge wouldn't care either? It's clearly possible to do math studies even if you want to apply for medicine at e.g. Oxford, the question is whether that weakens the application.

From Oxford's admissions page:

"If you don't have Maths [...] as part of the IB, you must have GCSEs (or equivalent) in these subjects at grade C or above (or in Maths and Dual Award Combined Sciences)."
Reply 6
Well i look at it this way - unis will prefer someone with 40 points and maths studies rather than someone with 37 with maths methods.

I don't think it particularly weakens the application at all. My friend with studies got offers for medicine from all 5 unis she applied to. You could say she is just an exception but i don't think so.
Reply 7
johan_89
Are you sure that this applies to all medicine courses, i.e. do you reckon that universities like UCL/Oxbridge wouldn't care either? It's clearly possible to do math studies even if you want to apply for medicine at e.g. Oxford, the question is whether that weakens the application.

From Oxford's admissions page:

"If you don't have Maths [...] as part of the IB, you must have GCSEs (or equivalent) in these subjects at grade C or above (or in Maths and Dual Award Combined Sciences)."

Most places I applied for were not bothered about maths studies, and as it's not my strongest subject, I decided to do it. However, they told me they were only accepting it because I had an A at GCSE maths.

I don't know what it's like at places like Oxford or Cambridge etc though. However, you might not want to apply there anyway depending on what kind of medicine course you'd prefer.

I would say just to work really hard and go over your notes every day. I haven't really worked hard enough... and it's making it harder for me now. You need to start revising for your May exams in around January, I'd say. I'm about to start revising this weekend (I haven't had much time to yet- my TOK essay is due in along with my Psychology IA and my Maths Studies project... along with the last piece of my Biology coursework.)

As for getting into medicine, it's not all about your IB in the beginning anyway. I got rejected from Sheffield due to my UKCAT score mostly.
loucrane
the only advice i have to say is do not for one second slack off in your first year. working hard in your first year makes the second year so so much easier. its easier not to do as much work in the first year of the ib because generally most of the assessments are in the second year but just dont do it! knuckle down and get into the mindset of coming home every day and doing at least an hour of work. also, looking ahead a lot more try and do some extra curricular things that look good on a personal statement for medicine because uni application is just as much about personal statements as well as grades!!

hope that helps

Thanks alot for the advice, I am sooooo lazy sometimes! BTW: Lab reports are my major weakness, they take me like 10 hours!:sigh:
sak-y
Well i look at it this way - unis will prefer someone with 40 points and maths studies rather than someone with 37 with maths methods.

I don't think it particularly weakens the application at all. My friend with studies got offers for medicine from all 5 unis she applied to. You could say she is just an exception but i don't think so.

That's the problem though, I have not done GCSE's so they would want methods not studies I asked alot of ppl and they all said the same thing!

I really hate maths, it's my major weakness and I generally despise it and it's teacher!
Rennie
Most places I applied for were not bothered about maths studies, and as it's not my strongest subject, I decided to do it. However, they told me they were only accepting it because I had an A at GCSE maths.

I don't know what it's like at places like Oxford or Cambridge etc though. However, you might not want to apply there anyway depending on what kind of medicine course you'd prefer.

I would say just to work really hard and go over your notes every day. I haven't really worked hard enough... and it's making it harder for me now. You need to start revising for your May exams in around January, I'd say. I'm about to start revising this weekend (I haven't had much time to yet- my TOK essay is due in along with my Psychology IA and my Maths Studies project... along with the last piece of my Biology coursework.)

As for getting into medicine, it's not all about your IB in the beginning anyway. I got rejected from Sheffield due to my UKCAT score mostly.

What are u guys expecting, predicted grades I mean?
Reply 11
Rennie

WOW JANUARY! Most of us starting revising about March time or even a bit later! there was just literally no time! Although obv we all PLANNED to start revising from January too. Actually, that reminds me of another tip! However late you do start your revision due to all the deadlines at that time of the year DON'T PANIC! that just minimizes your time even further! Take a deep breath and start revising, regardless of how long there is left till the exams!
sak-y
WOW JANUARY! Most of us starting revising about March time or even a bit later! there was just literally no time! Although obv we all PLANNED to start revising from January too. Actually, that reminds me of another tip! However late you do start your revision due to all the deadlines at that time of the year DON'T PANIC! that just minimizes your time even further! Take a deep breath and start revising, regardless of how long there is left till the exams!

I will try, but I know that I will be dependent on caffeine and sleeping pills, funnily enough, around that time! I get so scared and I drink lots of coffee so that I can concentrate and then I get soooooo nervous (even if I had had no caffeine) and stressed that I just can't get to sleep at all. All I think about is how I AM GOING TO FAIL AND HOW i HAVEN'T STUDIED ENOUGH etc, u know!

So yeah, I think I am going to have a nervous breakdown!
Reply 13
well actually the best way is to play a lot, have fun, and make sure you don't go into the exams worried =) don't overstress and burnout like i did in my first year;

I played around during my exam period because i didn't give a **** about my results, and i was only concerned that i had tried my best =)
Reply 14
Crystal Watson
What are u guys expecting, predicted grades I mean?

I was predicted 38. My friends going for medicine were predicted 36, 37 and 42 I think.

Most people in my IB year are predicted 35-42 I think.
That is great! I am gonna need those high 30's to extremely low 40's! I hope I make it!

What extra's do I need to do as a medicine applicant: grades, experience etc! anything really! I really need some help: I am planning to apply to one of the london medical school!:confused:
Reply 16
Crystal Watson
That is great! I am gonna need those high 30's to extremely low 40's! I hope I make it!

What extra's do I need to do as a medicine applicant: grades, experience etc! anything really! I really need some help: I am planning to apply to one of the london medical school!:confused:

You'll need work experience without a doubt. Whether that be working at hospitals, with the disabled, with young children... just prove that you can work with people. You'll also need to have worked in the proximity of doctors so that you can prove that you really know what being a doctor entails.

Don't, however, just do things because 'they'll look good'. That's not what it's about. Do things because you enjoy doing them and you're getting something from them. I really enjoyed all of my placements for various different reasons.

Good luck.
Reply 17
has any one else experienced a drop in their grades in yr 13(second year of IB)?
The best piece of advice I can give you is to LOOK/WORK AT PAST PAPERS! You'll be able to spot trends, know how to answer the questions, and review at the same time. Don't wait for your mock exams to get a feel of what an actual IB exam looks like.
Reply 19
bluebubbles
The best piece of advice I can give you is to LOOK/WORK AT PAST PAPERS! You'll be able to spot trends, know how to answer the questions, and review at the same time. Don't wait for your mock exams to get a feel of what an actual IB exam looks like.

Although, of course, the syllabus has changed a bit in bio and chem so there won't be past papers that have everything you need.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending