The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

geneticphreak
I think the concept of an A* is slightly ridiculous, considering that A-Levels have done fine with just the standard A grades in the past! :P

No entirely true, the A* grade is replacing the AEA (Advanced Extension Award).
Sorry, I meant 25% of ALL A-level grades awarded are A's. Not 25% of students get A's.
Reply 22
A at AS
A* at A2
Overall A*
Reply 23
you need 90% in AS and A2, so over 90% overall
Reply 24
The idea is that A2s are harder than ASs, so it's a better idea to award an A* to a candidate who got an A with 90% at A2 and 80% at AS than one who got 90% at AS and 80% at A2 (even though they both got 85% overall). I don't really know what I make of it, but I don't have to since I'll have finished my A-levels before A* grades start being awarded :p:
its good to diffrentiate between the most academic people i think.
Oladz
It certainly is, but thankfully, its not ours to worry about :biggrin:

I hate the whole A* thing. It makes me look bad. Even if I get for instance AAB, which are good grades, the people from the year below are going to be like 'oh, thats low, I got A*A*A.'
:mad:
SuicideCommando
I hate the whole A* thing. It makes me look bad. Even if I get for instance AAB, which are good grades, the people from the year below are going to be like 'oh, thats low, I got A*A*A.'

But there going to be losers then arent they.. lol.
Reply 28
Is it true you can't yet get an A* at A-level.

I mean for people who are doing their AS this year.
Reply 29
Will this occur within BTEC's/OCR National Diploma's? - As in Distinction*.
Reply 30
SuicideCommando

Yeah, makes me look bad too. Ha ha. I'm not an A student, so it sucks for me.
Ahh, getting a C will make me feel like a dunce if I know people who get A*s, not saying that C is a particually bad grade, but I feel as if it will become the new D - a pass, but undesirable grade for most.
SometimeBeforeMidnight
No, you are really confusing it. You need 80% or over at AS, and 90% or over at A2 to get an A* overall.

KyriakosCy
In order to ger A* at A.L you need to get an overall 540/600.

If you people are going to post on threads where people are seeking advice in future, please make sure you are giving correct information. These posts are completely wrong and only serve to confuse.

The link posted by TheTallOne is perfectly correct.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/A-star_grades_at_A-level#What_mark_do_you_need_for_an_A.2A.3F

You need 80% overall and 90% in the A2 modules to get an A*.
Reply 32
The question is this: "Do you think that the A* grade should be awarded at AS level, since that's what is important for receiving an offer, whereas A* at A2 is for meeting your offer (considering that they give you an A* offer)?"

I think that A* shouldn't be awarded at AS because that puts a little bit too much emphasis and pressure on students to achieve extremely high marks instead of doing extra curriculars etc.
So, to sum up, you need:

80% overall (from the total UMS of all the modules, even if some of them aren't even As), plus a mean mark of 90% in the three A2 Modules.

Correct?

Edit - it is now.
Bloody A*s.
Just another raised expectation from my parents.
Even if I manage to get an A, "Why didn't you get an A*?" :rolleyes:
Reply 35
RightSaidJames
So, to sum up, you need:

80% overall (from the total UMS of all the modules, even if some of them aren't even As), and 90% or more in each A2 module.

Correct?

Yes. Except Maths, where you only need 90% in the Core A2 modules (C3, C4).
Reply 36
RightSaidJames
So, to sum up, you need:

80% overall (from the total UMS of all the modules, even if some of them aren't even As), and 90% or more in each A2 module.

Correct?

No, no no. That is wrong. First part about the AS marks is correct, but you need 90% overall in A2 modules- not 90% in each unit of A2. It is quite fiddly.
RightSaidJames
So, to sum up, you need:

Correct?

No, despite what nuodai wrote. The 90% is an average of all A2 modules (except maths).

This thread is full of people who don't know what they are talking about, it seems.
Reply 38
Lucy Percy
erm, well if you started your AS's last year then you cant get an A*, because your not on the new syllabus,im in the same situation. We are the last year not being possible to get an A*.

Sorry :s-smilie:

i reckon this is pretty good for us as we can get a low a and someone who has a high a without being differentiated where as a* grade will allow uni's to pick the best candidates making it harder for camb ox and all dem
Good bloke
No, despite what nuodai wrote. The 90% is an average of all A2 modules (except maths).

This thread is full of people who don't know what they are talking about, it seems.

Ah, ok, thanks.

Well, it's a pretty new concept that doesn't actually affect anyone yet, so it's no surprise that there's a great deal of confusion about it. Even in the wiki, the wording of "90% UMS overall in the A2 units" can seem contradictory at first.

Latest