The Student Room Group

can you apply for jobseeker's allowance if you don't work but...

can you apply for jobseeker's allowance if you don't work but you are in full time education ? i am enrolled at uni full-time (15 hours a week). All i recieve is DSA (not alot) and i am not entitled to any grants atm only loans from the student loans company and i don't want any loans because of religious reasons. i struggled to pay the tutition fee out of my own pocket (money in my account i saved secondary school till sixth form), i don't work either.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You can only get jobseekers allowance if you are seeking a job. I think there's a requirement that you have to have at least two interviews a week to stay on the allowance, and a meeting at the job centre regularly...
Reply 2
Probably not. You have to be looking for work, 'job seekers'.
I have never seen anything on the jobseekers website indicating otherwise, but you have to be seeking a job, it shouldn't be free money (which is far worse than taking a loan).

I am actually applying right now for it.

EDIT:http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/Customers/WorkingAgeBenefits/Dev_008361.xml.html
Reply 4
Borrow money off family/friends and/or get a loan. Time to live in the real world.
No. I was at college and considred it but they wouldn't allow it.
Then I dropped out of college and hey presto £50 a fortnight. Don't do it.
Reply 6
You cannot apply for job seekers allowance if you are on a full time educational course.
Reply 7
If this was possible, wouldn't everybody be doing it? :confused:
Reply 8
Are students allowed to claim JSA??. I dont know for sure , it would be best to ask those at the jobcentre just to make sure.
Reply 9
Nope you can't get it, it sucks because a few years ago students could sign on.
no.

why dont you want to take out a loan but would be happy steal money from us taxpayers?

I may not be religious but i would like to think i am a good honest and moral person - yet you are religious and you are willing to steal money (it is stealing in my eyes - taking money he doesnt deserve from hard working taxpayers). What does this say about religion
Reply 11
Er, why don't you just get a job? 15 hours a week is hardly a big commitment, you've got plenty of time to work.

Job-seekers' allowance is an absolute joke...I mean, yes, a hell of a lot of people more undeserving than you are on it (the vast majority of chav scum making up most towns), but you shouldn't want to join their ranks, man. Just get a job if you need money.
what about income support?
abc101
Er, why don't you just get a job? 15 hours a week is hardly a big commitment, you've got plenty of time to work.

Job-seekers' allowance is an absolute joke...I mean, yes, a hell of a lot of people more undeserving than you are on it (the vast majority of chav scum making up most towns), but you shouldn't want to join their ranks, man. Just get a job if you need money.

i am looking for a job atm
Reply 14
What religious reason would stop you from getting a loan?
Reply 15
You have to be available for & seeking employment I think.
Reply 16
Trigger

Islamic banking rules.
Reply 17
Get a new religion coz that's plain STUPID
Trigger

Some religions don't believe in making money off of lending money (i.e interest)
Reply 19
Rizzletastic
Some religions don't believe in making money off of lending money (i.e interest)

Isnt the student loan interest free?

Latest

Trending

Trending