The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Yes, you have to get your tutor to write a reference though. Considering he will have known you for a month if you're lucky, you have no idea what he will write. Some people may not want to stir things up with their tutor as soon as they get to uni :smile:
Reply 2
vinsta
Yes, you have to get your tutor to write a reference though. Considering he will have known you for a month if you're lucky, you have no idea what he will write. Some people may not want to stir things up with their tutor as soon as they get to uni :smile:

Really? Is that essential, can't i use my old school reference and final school report. The thing is asking for a reference will put me in a very awkward position not that I've been troublesome just that dropping out is frowned upon.
Reply 3
Do you have an old employer that you could ask if you're not comfortable with asking your school? You could use your old reference, but it could be out of date, and what if the university contacts the school?
Reply 4
gangst
Really? Is that essential, can't i use my old school reference and final school report. The thing is asking for a reference will put me in a very awkward position not that I've been troublesome just that dropping out is frowned upon.

There's no other way as far as my knowledge goes.
Reply 5
gangst

I did it this year, asked a seminar leader (phd student) that knew me relatively well to write a reference in January. He wrote it, the Head of Department took his words and said "Seminar leader said this about this student: ... Head of English". They were incredibly good about it; just said that they'd rather I leave and be happy somewhere else if I wasn't happy studying English.

Like you I was pooing myself before I asked them, but they were unbelievably nice about it. I would have used my school reference but I didn't have it to hand, so I wrote a decent personal statement and used my tutor's 10-line reference. I got 4/4 unconditional offers from Edinburgh, Sussex x2 and Leeds. You may as well ask; they'll forget your name within a week anyway.
Reply 6
ok thanks, well i've still got plenty of time to mull over my decisions and see how my summer term at uni goes. I could get a very good reference from my school, and an employer, however, i guess a reference form a uni tutor would be best....hmmm

Latest

Trending

Trending