The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

princess_sue
This EXACT thing happened to me !!!!

I kept ignoring it - hoping it would go away (yes I know - stupid idiot!)

Anyway, going 80MPH in the fast lane on the M1....broke down!!!

Head gasket gone - £600 repair!

Go to a Fiat garage and have it checked ASAP - the longer these things are left...the more they cost!

P.S - after ^^^ happened, I sold the piece of junk.

I think that is in the lead for facepalm of the month.

To the OP I think Lara C has probably nailed it. A fault code reader should be in everyones toolbox though (assuming they have a car with an ECU).
Reply 21
Lara C.
possibly some kind of sensor problem has caused the ECU to throw an out of bounds error exception and gone into limp mode. then when it reset itself and found the sensor to be operating in normal range it decided it was safe to run normally.

thats one explanation anyways.

Yeah I think that could be it, it's staying good so far.

Cheers bro.
Reply 22
Hi I have I fiat punto 02 plate I have changed ht leads n plugs an coil packs and its verys slow took it a garage they said its not firing right in cylinder 2 what can this be any help would be great thanks
Reply 23
You used to sweep up in the car park and wash cars and make tea when you worked for Fiat, make sure you turn the engine off next time before you try to remove spark plugs.
Need some help with my 2002 fiat punto active 1.2 ?
I drove throught a puddle it still runs but is losessing power
Iv checked
Spark plugs
Ht.leads
Changes coil packs
And when its running if i touch somethink like hazzard lights or windows it tryes to blurr out and blurs out when accelerating. But stays runnin any help ?
My fiat has started to lose power. I was told it was the clutch so got it changed which cost me £200 worked for a month then started doing it again! When I try and pull off in first gear I revs with no power then picks up slowly! Costing me a fortune
I have a fiat seicento 1.1 the cat is glowing red i have no power and i can smell fuel and there is also a red light on the dash i have had the car for a 2 years all ive do is the head gasket someone please help
Reply 28
The cat will normally glow red especially after a drive as it is up at 500c, but the smell of fuel is concerning. Is the smell coming from the exhaust or around the car?
Reply 29
My fiat punto jerks a lot when I put my foot down help plzz
1. If you have any type of breakdown cover then use it, if you have home start cover then call them out. They will do a diagnostic check. Giving you the codes. Then either call up FIAT or google it.
I first had this problem, got GreenFlag to come out and do diagnostic check. Came back as coil issue. Noticed there was a crack in the coil pack so replaced both coil pack and HT leads. fixed the problem for 2 years. But then started doing it again. This time I pulled the leads one by one to check that there was a spark. No problems with leads or spark plugs. Although noticed that when pulled lead 3 out the car would still idle and not cut out. So thought would be failed coil pack again, replaced it for an OEM £15 inc P&P off ebay. fitted it but still had the idle and power issue although it had improved slightly.
Will need to call out GreenFlag again but i doubt they will find the issue as it's going to take alot more investigation and probably trial and error part replacing to find the fault. I saw also that other Punto owners replaced ECU's, Lambda sensors, even a blocked exhaust, fuel pump & lines to get their "common" idle/power issues fixed.

I will not go down that route. I will simply flog the car off and have to buy another 2nd hand car that is less prone to these issues as is the case with Fiats.
hi i suffer the same with my fait punto and got told it was the ECU today it was really bad driving it i normally get it under control by pumping the acceleration but i couldnt today so ask the garage to do a dignostic test it might come up saying coil 2 but it not its the ecu which i connected to the coil
Reply 32
Original post by Robyng654
hi i suffer the same with my fait punto and got told it was the ECU today it was really bad driving it i normally get it under control by pumping the acceleration but i couldnt today so ask the garage to do a dignostic test it might come up saying coil 2 but it not its the ecu which i connected to the coil

Don't bump old threads.
Original post by Robyng654

Please don't bump old threads. Thread closed. :yy:

Latest

Trending

Trending