The Student Room Group

Access courses and funding available

Scroll to see replies

you've definitely done your research!!! are you doing biomedical science or biology?
I think the difference between biology and biomedical is that with the latter you are more restricted towards human biology/pharmaceutical jobs such as hospital research whereas with biology you have a few more options like plant/marine.

I know a lot of universities do allow you to make small changes like moving from biology to biomedical/forensic/biochemical and similar, based on your background or the units you do in your foundation year, so you do have a few options at least in the first year or so.
which are you doing?
The course I chose is Biology B.Sc. (Hons.) with business as a minor, and of course with a foundation year. Other than Kingston, what other universities were you interested in joining this year?
For the first year (foundation) I applied to only Westminster and kingston due to my childcare/travel issues. However after the foundation I may be in a better position to apply elsewhere for the actual degree...Westminster admitted this..hence they offer you the full foundation year fees back when you sign up for the degree...as a carrot.
I just want to get the best results poss from the foundation so I have more options for the Bsc.
I am not sure about how universities view foundation year courses from different institutes but Westminster's policy does seem to support your view, however I would probably get in touch with other prospective universities just to see what they have to say.
Apparently they have had people go to St Marys and UCL from their foundation year.they claim this is for courses that they don't offer..
Have you heard back about Kingston's timetable yet?
I got a reply from Dr. Piper this morning:

"As a student wishing to undertake the Biology degree you will undertake the following modules; Fundamentals of Science (Term 1) which covers some basic Biology, Chemistry and Physics along with study skills and ICT; Maths A (all year long module); Biology A and B (two modules in term 2 and 3) and Chemistry A and B (two modules in term 2 and 3).

Each module with the exception of Fundamentals (coursework only) is assessed by both coursework and examination. To pass year you must achieve a minimum of 40% in all the modules you undertake. On achieving this you will automatically progress onto year 1 of the Biology course with no reapplication necessary.

We tend to find that students who complete our Foundation year tend to outperform those who come via other routes into year 1."

I didn't specifically ask about the timetable in that email but I might have to ring Kingston college and will try to ask about lecture times.
Thanks for that, it has actually put my mind at rest a little re: Westminster's seemingly low pass rates needed.

It is also quite uplifting to hear that the foundation year appears to well-equip potential degree students..
You're welcome! It's actually put my mind at ease to as I was expecting to have to get 70% for the first year, not that I don't want to work hard but it does give you that extra bit of confidence, especially when you are returning after a while.
I really do want to work hard and get on well. I'm also aware that scholarships are only normally available to people with outstanding results...so in a year or two's time I would be hoping to be in that bracket!
I take it you weren't interviewed at Kingston then?
No, I had no interview. I think for science foundation year based courses the interviews were for mature students without the required ucas points.
i have no ucas points and kingston didn't interview me either....but still offered me a place
Hi

any news on the timetable?
Nope sorry, was really busy with Cima exams this week haven't had a chance to talk to them, probably try next week.
Hi..I enquired at Kingston and got this info via email.
I hadn't realised they would start in september, which definitely rules it out as an option for me...this year at least!
Students are given their timetable on the morning of their first day of study which this year will be on 21st September 2009.

It is then that you will know your hours/days/start times but I have checked with Kingston College in the Engineering and Science Faculty and I am informed that for the Science Foundation year course full time students studying all modules (6) are expected to do 15.30 hours per week guided learning and 6 hours per week private learning.

Attendance as per the students timetable is expected to be a minimum of 80%.
Most courses do start in September, the 21st is actually a little late comparatively speaking. My younger brother's doing a foundation year based coursed at Westminster university and that starts in October, so I guess yours would be starting around that time too?

I was expecting the timetable to be around 15 hours guided, but the private hours seems a lot less than I expected. I still didn't get around to enquiring about the timetable so thanks for that.
We were told to at least put the same amount of private study in as guided hours at Westminster ifwe wish to achieve high scores and learn as quickly as necessary on the foundation course.
I think my first day will be 5th October...so seeing as you start earlier than me you will have to report back as to how you find the early days!!! Have you accepted your offer now?
I still haven't had a reply from a single choice, even though all the rest replied a couple of weeks ago. I think I will cancel the outstanding choice and put Biology down as my firm if I don't get a reply by next week.
where are you waiting to hear from? you have quite a while to reply yet so don't worry too much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending