The Student Room Group

Excuses to tell my friends why I'm not going the prom?

I really dont want to go. Im picky with food, so i probably wont like it, which means i'll have a full plate. And im thin, so people will think i'm anorexic. Thats the main reason. The other reason is that i really cannot be arsed.

What can i tell them? So far i've got 'Im going to wimbledon that day'.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't want to go, as simple as that
Reply 2
stop being such a pussy and go. thats my advice, those reasons seem pretty lame.
Reply 3
Just go! I bet you'll enjoy it. If you don't want to eat the food say you ate before or you're feeling ill. Or just be honest and say you don't like it. You'll probably like a bit of the starter/ dessert if not the main course. Don't say you're going to Wimbledon or something because then they'll want to know all about it.
Reply 4
Just tell them that you don't want to go.
Reply 5
"family commitments"
GO damnit, prom is always great. And dont let other people judge you.
LIfe is short,
i cant stand lazy people. (but dont let me judge you either , the irony...)
Reply 7
Say you are a non-conformist.
Tom Wigan
I really dont want to go. Im picky with food, so i probably wont like it, which means i'll have a full plate. And im thin, so people will think i'm anorexic. Thats the main reason. The other reason is that i really cannot be arsed.

What can i tell them? So far i've got 'Im going to wimbledon that day'.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

You could go one further and tell them that you're a backup ball girl.
Reply 9
If they're going to judge you because you won't want to go, they're not great friends tbh. If you get some friendly pisstaking, it doesn't matter because that's all it is.
Reply 10
Just say that you don't want to go.
Reply 11
Family commitments will work. I've got out of a camping trip with friends by using that excuse. Say your visiting family far away?

I'm not going to prom either. I'm just goign to get a late night shift at work and then won't be bored at hoem with no-one to talk too.

Tell them you don't want to, if they say its the last time you will see people, tell them you will see them again over the summer, and you don't want to pay money to see people you don't want to see again.
I'm ill. I have family stuff on.

I don't want to
Reply 13
Why do you not want to go if your friends are? That's the point of prom, after all. And if you're not that bothered about that, then there doesn't seem to be any need for an excuse, just say...

Lots of people didn't go to my prom. Our years was about 155, maybe 80-100 went to prom. Is it not the same for you? Do they all have to come up with excuses?
I didn't go to mine. I went on a trip with my friends instead. If you're not actually going on a trip pretend you are.
Reply 15
i wasn't sure i wanted to go but had an awesome time, its just hanging out with your friends after all. if you dont wanna eat dont, say you ate beforehand no one will mind- is it a sit down meal or buffet?
Say things are tight at home and you or your parents can't afford it right about now.
Reply 17
Prom's aren't for everyone, in fact they are ****. The cost of the tickets, renting a suit, buying drinks isn't worth it. It's not that great and it would be better if they did them after exams. Mine was also ******** because I didn't get into the after party because I was 17. Everyone used fake IDs. Not that great a night considering it cost me about £100.

If you don't want to go, just say you don't want to go.
Reply 18
Say one of your relatives has died and that you're going to their funeral.
Or, say that you're epileptic and the disco lights will make you have a fit.
Or, say that your parents have booked a family holiday and that you'll be away.
Or, say that you've got ME - chronic fatigue syndrome, and that you can't stay up that late.
Or, say that one of your relatives died during a prom, from a drug overdose, or stabbing, or something else, and that you can't go to the prom because it would traumatise you.
Reply 19
If you don't want to go, you don't need to try and make excuses. It's not mandatory. If anybody starts interrogating you about it, you can tell them where to shove it. I get the impression, though, that you would like to go, so just do it.

Latest

Trending

Trending