The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Erm I think they will look at it slightly negatively because you took 3 years, but if you managed to get AAA in the end, its still good. Really depends on uni/admin tutors preference, I would email the unis which you are looking to apply to.
Reply 2
MB2Z
Erm I think they will look at it slightly negatively because you took 3 years, but if you managed to get AAA in the end, its still good. Really depends on uni/admin tutors preference, I would email the unis which you are looking to apply to.

Well mainly I did badly because I had so much sporting commitments first year and only took two As's first year.

I am doing an extra year and will do lots of retakes this year.

What i mean is , will average to good uni's (i.e good unis but not Cambridge, Bath, LSE etc) still likely to give me a conditional offer.

Or will they just more than likely look the other way..
Reply 3
They probabaly still will.
Reply 4
Anyone take three years to get 3 a-levels and if so, how did it affect your uni offers?

Advice needed please:smile:
Reply 5
|>|Imagine|<|
Who gives a ****, the education system is an epic fail anyway.

Are you perhaps a bit cynical? :yep:

You can read and write, give us a smile :smile:
as far as i can tell the unis never even have to know...
i did 3 years of a-levels...2 AS years and one A2 year...
i entered my UCAS in with only an A in physics and maths, a stunning personal statment and my references and the promise to do maths, chemi and bio at A2...and i got offers for all 5 of my unis. so tbh i don't think it matters...
:P:
Reply 7
nasri-diaby
Are you perhaps a bit cynical? :yep:

You can read and write, give us a smile :smile:

Just to make myself clearer. First year I was more serious about my sport and wanted t be a professional athlete, this only taking a couple of As's, as a back up to the sport.
Second year I realised that I wasn't going to make it, therefore continued with the two A-levels and picked up an extra As.
For my third year, I am doing the A-level, aswell as taking Futher Maths As extra as I am applying for Uni.

For all three I will be borderline A this year, so anything I don't get A in I will get up next year.

Therefore i should have AAA next year, applying for courses needing AAB. But the problem is I won't be at that when I apply in Jan. If I explain my circumstances in my personal statement, am i likely to still receive conditional offers fr unis such as Bristol, Exeter etc

Sorry it is very long winded!!!
Reply 8
it's.a.science
i entered my UCAS in with only an A in physics and maths, a stunning personal statment and my references and the promise to do maths, chemi and bio at A2...and i got offers for all 5 of my unis. so tbh i don't think it matters...

Sorry it is a bit personal, but could you tell me what you got first year, 2nd year, and 3rd year, and what unis you applied for..

It will help me understand my situation better:smile:

Thanks
erm well i ****** up the first year...
got DDDE... (:eek:)
then the second year i retook ASs and overall got AACC (srsly those Cs annoyed me)
then this year...dunno yet...have to wait till august!

i got offers for anglia ruskin, brighton, leeds, sheffield and southampton
highest offer was ABB and lowest was 200 UCAS points...

people are always applying for unis at different ages...i have friends who are 22 and only just applying! and also...i advise you retake your A2s not your ASs....or find a college that means you can do both AS and A2 in one year this year.....and then do A2s only next year... (hope that makes sense) :biggrin:
Reply 10
it's.a.science
erm well i ****** up the first year...
got DDDE... (:eek:)
then the second year i retook ASs and overall got AACC (srsly those Cs annoyed me)
then this year...dunno yet...have to wait till august!

i got offers for anglia ruskin, brighton, leeds, sheffield and southampton
highest offer was ABB and lowest was 200 UCAS points...

people are always applying for unis at different ages...i have friends who are 22 and only just applying! and also...i advise you retake your A2s not your ASs....or find a college that means you can do both AS and A2 in one year this year.....and then do A2s only next year... (hope that makes sense) :biggrin:

Well I got BCU first year. I dropped the U, and hopefully have got my BB to AA/AB
I then took an extra As.
So when I apply, I will have Two A-levels, One As whilst also turning the As into an A2, and taking a further As.

Ideally I want t get in Southampton which requires AAB, you think I'll get a conditinal offer.

Also, how do make a thread anonymous?
Reply 11
It can impact things slightly at the top Unis- but if you're not going for Oxford or Cambridge, you don't really have to worry.
Unless its Oxbridge or a Med/Dent course, you're fine. My friend got into Imperial engineering with AAA over three years. I know loads of similar stories.
Reply 13
3 years is a waste of time, and it most probably gives the message to uni admissions people that you're a just total sham, failure, even if you have 3 A's, they won't care.
Macceroot
Ideally I want t get in Southampton which requires AAB, you think I'll get a conditinal offer.

Also, how do make a thread anonymous?

yeah, i'm sure that u should get a conditional offer...so long as your predicted grades are good and all...and your references and PS are ace...

u click the 'anonymous' box thing...never used it so dunno really...:p:
Reply 15
I don't know where the anonymous box is???

I am not making the thread tday, but just wondered for future reference.

Thanks for all the replies.. Did you state your first year grades by the way?

I am thinking of getting round the fact I gt a U, did you do that sort of thing?
Reply 16
it's.a.science

Wow,that sounds a good news to me,because Im gonna do three years,because English isnt my first language. Are you still they won't find out?I have a feeling they always will though!
Also would they look at your GCSE results in any way harsher? :s-smilie: if you know what i meant.
Reply 17
Do you guys put the fact you retake as well?
Reply 18
Macceroot
Anyone take three years to get 3 a-levels and if so, how did it affect your uni offers?

Advice needed please:smile:

this yr was my 3rd yr doin a levels. last yr i finished with ABC and held an offer from bristol but didnt get in. this yr im retaking physics (i got a C before) intensive, and taking up a2 eco which i dropped 2 yrs ago at AS.

i applied to pretty much the same unis agn this yr, nd not only did u get into bristol agn but i also hav an offer from imperial, where i was rejected the 1st time round.

so from my experience it hasnt made an impact, i called the unis before i applied agn to ask if repeating affects admissions but they all said no, you are judged the same as all the others. however i applied for aeronautical engineering, but i hav a friend who applied for eco at manch last yr, didnt get the grades and now this yr they said they dont accept retakes for that course. so just call your unis you think you will apply to and ask.
Reply 19
I hope everything will b ok! :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending