The Student Room Group

PhD The Early Process, Application and Interview advice

Scroll to see replies

Reply 640
Original post by Ghostlady
Daughter has got the phd fully funded at Manchester uni studying neutrinos at the NEXT experiment (based south pyranees). Shes very chuffed 😀 and so are we.
She has got funding from not the stfc, but I think she said it could be ESPRC. They also advised her to apply for this other funding elsewhere, because if she got that one, then the ESPRC funding can go to someone else to fund another position which opens it up for someone else. If she does not get that funding, then the ESPRC one will still be valid. Also got teaching for 5 hours a week at the uni.
She has accepted and is now looking at accommodation in private halls.

Great news.
Original post by JHK101
Great news.

Thank you 😊
Reply 642
Hello all! I have received an email offer for a funded phd by the project’s supervisors, under a university scholarship. The supervisors clarified that the funding was allocated to them directly, and that I should expect to receive the formal offer letter from the university following their email offer.I’d like to ask - around how long should I expect to wait for this offer letter (I understand the uni administration could take some time) and is there any reason that the formal offer would not go through at this point? Thanks!
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Fd2222
Hello all! I have received an email offer for a funded phd by the project’s supervisors, under a university scholarship. The supervisors clarified that the funding was allocated to them directly, and that I should expect to receive the formal offer letter from the university following their email offer.I’d like to ask - around how long should I expect to wait for this offer letter (I understand the uni administration could take some time) and is there any reason that the formal offer would not go through at this point? Thanks!

No reason why it shouldn’t, at most research focused universities academics in research get a certain number of PhD funding studentships as they need a certain number of bodies to keep a lab/group operating, and it is up to them to select students using an appropriate method. So all sounds normal to me.

It can several weeks sometimes unfortunately, you can always email the supervisor or admissions after a couple weeks.

If you’ve had several positive conversations and a good rapport I wouldn’t doubt they weren’t playing with a straight bat. You are also more than entitled to keep other applications going until you receive formal confirmation, if you get another offer and you haven’t had confirmation then you can go to the supervisor and ask for them to speed it up (normally it’s just paperwork in an administration queue).
Reply 644
Original post by mnot
No reason why it shouldn’t, at most research focused universities academics in research get a certain number of PhD funding studentships as they need a certain number of bodies to keep a lab/group operating, and it is up to them to select students using an appropriate method. So all sounds normal to me.

It can several weeks sometimes unfortunately, you can always email the supervisor or admissions after a couple weeks.

If you’ve had several positive conversations and a good rapport I wouldn’t doubt they weren’t playing with a straight bat. You are also more than entitled to keep other applications going until you receive formal confirmation, if you get another offer and you haven’t had confirmation then you can go to the supervisor and ask for them to speed it up (normally it’s just paperwork in an administration queue).

This is reassuring! Thank you for the response!
investment at lancaster uni 12m https://thetab.com/uk/lancaster/2024/02/18/lancater-university-receives-12-million-investment-for-ai-research-39898 It also says ''As a result, the size of the mathematics and statistics department in Lancaster will grow, as Lancaster is providing new positions including 10 new academics, eight post-doctoral researchers, and 10 new PhD research places at Lancaster; all as part of this newly provided research investment''
Original post by Fd2222

Hi,

Congratulations, that’s amazing! Similarly to as suggested above, it took me a couple of weeks to receive a formal offer after an informal offer from the supervisor. I wouldn’t worry! You could always double check with the supervisors if you are anxious - I’m sure theyll understand :smile:

Best of luck with everything!
Natalie
Reply 647
Original post by University of Kent
Hi,

Congratulations, that’s amazing! Similarly to as suggested above, it took me a couple of weeks to receive a formal offer after an informal offer from the supervisor. I wouldn’t worry! You could always double check with the supervisors if you are anxious - I’m sure theyll understand :smile:

Best of luck with everything!
Natalie

Thank you! Will do 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending