The Student Room Group

Revision anxiety

I know this is going to sound stupid and like an excuse not to revise but I'm being serious. Does anyone get really bad anxiety when they try and revise because all you can think about is the exam and worry about remembering it all? Because I'm finding it really hard and it's stopping me from revising because the fear it causes is so intense :frown: Does anyone have any tips that can help it?
Reply 1
Amelie
I know this is going to sound stupid and like an excuse not to revise but I'm being serious. Does anyone get really bad anxiety when they try and revise because all you can think about is the exam and worry about remembering it all? Because I'm finding it really hard and it's stopping me from revising because the fear it causes is so intense :frown: Does anyone have any tips that can help it?

I jsut eat junk food until i feel sick... actually... i stop eating it after I feel thick! Then you start worrying about your stomach not the exams! LOL!
Reply 2
Yeh. i understand that.

What I suggest is you make a plan on the computer...a timetable of all ya exams n when they are.

Then based on that, make a time table where you allocate time slots for revising on different subjects.

If you keep to it..all should be ok. Just stay focused, and if you use a revision technique which does help you remember the material, then stick to it.

Good luck, and happy revising :wink:

~Myles
Reply 3
Well what I do to stop the anxiety is think of things in a purely practical sense. Forget all the "I hope I'm lucky" and "I'm doing this for my future" crap. Think of yourself as a robot simply memorising facts, practising the output of those facts on past papers and then doing the real thing based on what you did with the papers while drawing on some facts you memorised at the same time.

Just think straight and don't worry about the consequences. At this time think of what the most effective method of revision is and just do it - play a game when you take a break or something - an optimum level of learning would be in 20 minute slots with 5 minute breaks. In the exam room as well, don't worry about not being able to answer, just move to the next question - on the other hand I also know that some people who find a question just slightly challenging just leave it and then they get scared because they skipped so many of them. Anyway, after you finish the exam go past the questions in a cool manner.

Finally, this may worry you a bit but - anxiety can mean a lot in terms of grades (it did for me at GCSE) so you really need to get over it... then again, you can always re-sit =)

Latest