The Student Room Group

How to maintain a language.

I've just finished my French GCSE and it isn't one of my strong points, I do however enjoy it. I was thinking of picking up A/S French in year 13 (assuming I get the required A, which is about 50:50). So, I'd like to know if you have any tips for keeping up my French skills over the next year or so, just on a casual level. I've been looking at some parallel texts, any other tips? Thanks...
Watch the French news, download French radio podcasts, read Le Monde online...
Also reading books in French that you've already read in English can be a great help. You already know the storyline so you can concentrate on the language. :smile:
Reply 2
The news! That's a good idea, thanks. Yeah, I was planning on doing that with some books, the only French book I've read (in English) is The Count of Monte Cristo, might be a bit ambitious to attempt it in French though.
Reply 3
Hank Hill
I've just finished my French GCSE and it isn't one of my strong points, I do however enjoy it. I was thinking of picking up A/S French in year 13 (assuming I get the required A, which is about 50:50). So, I'd like to know if you have any tips for keeping up my French skills over the next year or so, just on a casual level. I've been looking at some parallel texts, any other tips? Thanks...

Look for a French forum, like this one, and post regularly. It works for me, I'm practising my English here :o:
Go to France! Do a lanugage course or work experience abroad!
I'm having the same problem with keeping up my german..I like the language but not enough to take it at A level because I have other interests. Maybe get a penpal or something? There are a few websites for language exchanges etc?
Reply 6
Miss Mary
Look for a French forum, like this one, and post regularly. It works for me, I'm practising my English here :o:

I've been looking for french/spanish/german forums everywhere with no availllll :'(
Miss Mary

Seems to be working, your english is very good.
Reply 8
SiaSiaSia
I've been looking for french/spanish/german forums everywhere with no availllll :'(

Think of something you like and see if there is a forum on it.

For example, I like the singer Roger Cicero so I found the German forum about him. If you like a band, maybe they have a German forum. Or a book. Or a TV show. Even if you can't find one on a topic you like, you could go to a random TV show forum, say, and just talk in the 'General Discussion' forum. That way you don't even have to find a general forum. :o: (Protip PS: typing in something like "*band name* deutsch" or "*book* forum .de" might bring things up which would otherwise be hidden amongst many English pages.)

~~~
OP, if you like a TV show/book, there are fanfics written in the language.
I personally enjoy foreign Doctor Who stories. :p: Though you might find it easier to start with short, one-chapter things, since GCSE level language is not very advanced.
Reply 9
Apfel
Think of something you like and see if there is a forum on it.

For example, I like the singer Roger Cicero so I found the German forum about him. If you like a band, maybe they have a German forum. Or a book. Or a TV show. Even if you can't find one on a topic you like, you could go to a random TV show forum, say, and just talk in the 'General Discussion' forum. That way you don't even have to find a general forum. :o: (Protip PS: typing in something like "*band name* deutsch" or "*book* forum .de" might bring things up which would otherwise be hidden amongst many English pages.)

~~~
OP, if you like a TV show/book, there are fanfics written in the language.
I personally enjoy foreign Doctor Who stories. :p: Though you might find it easier to start with short, one-chapter things, since GCSE level language is not very advanced.

GCSE level?
I've done AS french and german...
but yeah good idea
Reply 10
SiaSiaSia
GCSE level?
I've done AS french and german...
but yeah good idea

That bit was for the original poster. :p:
Apfel
That bit was for the original poster. :p:

.. oh yeah :wink:
SiaSiaSia

I know a very popular forum in Spanish:
http://www.psicofxp.com/forums/

But just so you know, it's a Latin American forum.
atheistwithfaith
Seems to be working, your english is very good.

Thanks! :smile:
Miss Mary

it seems we hold completely different purposes to use this forum. :biggrin: i just use it for fun~~~haha (btw, my english is very poor~)

TSR is great! we all like it!:p:

Latest

Trending

Trending