How to maintain a language. Watch

Hank Hill
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I've just finished my French GCSE and it isn't one of my strong points, I do however enjoy it. I was thinking of picking up A/S French in year 13 (assuming I get the required A, which is about 50:50). So, I'd like to know if you have any tips for keeping up my French skills over the next year or so, just on a casual level. I've been looking at some parallel texts, any other tips? Thanks...
sylarfangirl
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Watch the French news, download French radio podcasts, read Le Monde online...
Also reading books in French that you've already read in English can be a great help. You already know the storyline so you can concentrate on the language.
Hank Hill
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
The news! That's a good idea, thanks. Yeah, I was planning on doing that with some books, the only French book I've read (in English) is The Count of Monte Cristo, might be a bit ambitious to attempt it in French though.
Miss Mary
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Hank Hill)
I've just finished my French GCSE and it isn't one of my strong points, I do however enjoy it. I was thinking of picking up A/S French in year 13 (assuming I get the required A, which is about 50:50). So, I'd like to know if you have any tips for keeping up my French skills over the next year or so, just on a casual level. I've been looking at some parallel texts, any other tips? Thanks...
Look for a French forum, like this one, and post regularly. It works for me, I'm practising my English here :o:
KayleeLand
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Go to France! Do a lanugage course or work experience abroad!
BeckyIsOptimistic
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm having the same problem with keeping up my german..I like the language but not enough to take it at A level because I have other interests. Maybe get a penpal or something? There are a few websites for language exchanges etc?
SiaSiaSia
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Miss Mary)
Look for a French forum, like this one, and post regularly. It works for me, I'm practising my English here :o:

I've been looking for french/spanish/german forums everywhere with no availllll :'(
atheistwithfaith
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Seems to be working, your english is very good.
Apfel
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by SiaSiaSia)
I've been looking for french/spanish/german forums everywhere with no availllll :'(
Think of something you like and see if there is a forum on it.

For example, I like the singer Roger Cicero so I found the German forum about him. If you like a band, maybe they have a German forum. Or a book. Or a TV show. Even if you can't find one on a topic you like, you could go to a random TV show forum, say, and just talk in the 'General Discussion' forum. That way you don't even have to find a general forum. :o: (Protip PS: typing in something like "*band name* deutsch" or "*book* forum .de" might bring things up which would otherwise be hidden amongst many English pages.)

~~~
OP, if you like a TV show/book, there are fanfics written in the language.
I personally enjoy foreign Doctor Who stories. :p: Though you might find it easier to start with short, one-chapter things, since GCSE level language is not very advanced.
SiaSiaSia
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Apfel)
Think of something you like and see if there is a forum on it.

For example, I like the singer Roger Cicero so I found the German forum about him. If you like a band, maybe they have a German forum. Or a book. Or a TV show. Even if you can't find one on a topic you like, you could go to a random TV show forum, say, and just talk in the 'General Discussion' forum. That way you don't even have to find a general forum. :o: (Protip PS: typing in something like "*band name* deutsch" or "*book* forum .de" might bring things up which would otherwise be hidden amongst many English pages.)

~~~
OP, if you like a TV show/book, there are fanfics written in the language.
I personally enjoy foreign Doctor Who stories. :p: Though you might find it easier to start with short, one-chapter things, since GCSE level language is not very advanced.
GCSE level?
I've done AS french and german...
but yeah good idea
Apfel
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
GCSE level?
I've done AS french and german...
but yeah good idea
That bit was for the original poster. :p:
SiaSiaSia
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Apfel)
That bit was for the original poster. :p:

.. oh yeah
Miss Mary
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I know a very popular forum in Spanish:
http://www.psicofxp.com/forums/

But just so you know, it's a Latin American forum.
Miss Mary
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by atheistwithfaith)
Seems to be working, your english is very good.
Thanks!
薇薇公主
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
it seems we hold completely different purposes to use this forum. i just use it for fun~~~haha (btw, my english is very poor~)

TSR is great! we all like it!:p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.87%
No (515)
72.13%

Watched Threads