Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished my French GCSE and it isn't one of my strong points, I do however enjoy it. I was thinking of picking up A/S French in year 13 (assuming I get the required A, which is about 50:50). So, I'd like to know if you have any tips for keeping up my French skills over the next year or so, just on a casual level. I've been looking at some parallel texts, any other tips? Thanks...

ReputationRep:
    Watch the French news, download French radio podcasts, read Le Monde online...
    Also reading books in French that you've already read in English can be a great help. You already know the storyline so you can concentrate on the language.

ReputationRep:
    The news! That's a good idea, thanks. Yeah, I was planning on doing that with some books, the only French book I've read (in English) is The Count of Monte Cristo, might be a bit ambitious to attempt it in French though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hank Hill)
    I've just finished my French GCSE and it isn't one of my strong points, I do however enjoy it. I was thinking of picking up A/S French in year 13 (assuming I get the required A, which is about 50:50). So, I'd like to know if you have any tips for keeping up my French skills over the next year or so, just on a casual level. I've been looking at some parallel texts, any other tips? Thanks...
    Look for a French forum, like this one, and post regularly. It works for me, I'm practising my English here :o:

ReputationRep:
    Go to France! Do a lanugage course or work experience abroad!

ReputationRep:
    I'm having the same problem with keeping up my german..I like the language but not enough to take it at A level because I have other interests. Maybe get a penpal or something? There are a few websites for language exchanges etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Mary)
    Look for a French forum, like this one, and post regularly. It works for me, I'm practising my English here :o:

I've been looking for french/spanish/german forums everywhere with no availllll :'(

ReputationRep:
    Seems to be working, your english is very good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiaSiaSia)
    I've been looking for french/spanish/german forums everywhere with no availllll :'(
    Think of something you like and see if there is a forum on it.

For example, I like the singer Roger Cicero so I found the German forum about him. If you like a band, maybe they have a German forum. Or a book. Or a TV show. Even if you can't find one on a topic you like, you could go to a random TV show forum, say, and just talk in the 'General Discussion' forum. That way you don't even have to find a general forum. :o: (Protip PS: typing in something like "*band name* deutsch" or "*book* forum .de" might bring things up which would otherwise be hidden amongst many English pages.)

~~~
    OP, if you like a TV show/book, there are fanfics written in the language.
    I personally enjoy foreign Doctor Who stories. :p: Though you might find it easier to start with short, one-chapter things, since GCSE level language is not very advanced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apfel)
    Think of something you like and see if there is a forum on it.

For example, I like the singer Roger Cicero so I found the German forum about him. If you like a band, maybe they have a German forum. Or a book. Or a TV show. Even if you can't find one on a topic you like, you could go to a random TV show forum, say, and just talk in the 'General Discussion' forum. That way you don't even have to find a general forum. :o: (Protip PS: typing in something like "*band name* deutsch" or "*book* forum .de" might bring things up which would otherwise be hidden amongst many English pages.)

~~~
    OP, if you like a TV show/book, there are fanfics written in the language.
    I personally enjoy foreign Doctor Who stories. :p: Though you might find it easier to start with short, one-chapter things, since GCSE level language is not very advanced.
    GCSE level?
    I've done AS french and german...
    but yeah good idea

ReputationRep:
    GCSE level?
    I've done AS french and german...
    but yeah good idea
    That bit was for the original poster. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apfel)
    That bit was for the original poster. :p:

.. oh yeah

ReputationRep:
    I know a very popular forum in Spanish:
    http://www.psicofxp.com/forums/

But just so you know, it's a Latin American forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atheistwithfaith)
    Seems to be working, your english is very good.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    it seems we hold completely different purposes to use this forum. i just use it for fun~~~haha (btw, my english is very poor~)

TSR is great! we all like it!:p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.