The Student Room Group

Is your firm choice lower (University ranking wise) than your Insurance choice?

I chose the University of The West of England (UWE) as my Firm and The University of Nottingham as my insurance.

Almost everyone that i've discussed this with thinks i've made a huge mistake by not picking Nottingham as my firm. :rolleyes:

Now, I don't regret choosing UWE as its the uni I felt most comfortable with, plus it's an amazing city, but it has got me thinking how many others have done this.

Oh, and my offers had no bearing on my decision. Both offers were unconditional :yep:
No, but if I hadn't got the offers from my two choices I would have chosen York St Johns above Lancaster. Happiness is worth more than ranking :yep:
Reply 2
According to which ranking?

Magic Mike's Ultra-Fantastic Universities? You know, the one that ranks unis in order of gayness?
Reply 3
No.
Essex is ranked higher than NTU for Literature and History.
I didn't really want to go to NTU, but Oxf.Brookes made such a stupid offer, Hull was too far away and DMU has a pretty bad image.
Reply 4
*Facepalm*

Rankings are a nonsense anyway, the assumption that a few more UCAS points when you are 17 years old, a few more satisfied students who drop out less, a few more quid spent on propping the buildings up, a few more people getting 2:1s and firsts- and you'll shoot up the rankings as a result- makes for a 'superior' educational establishment is ludicrous. Research scores can't be compared, as many unis can look quite good by virtue of not researching half the stuff their counterparts do, and virtually no one responds to the graduate prospects survey anyway, so its hard to compile an accurate picture of what people are doing- and extremely difficult to prove the quality of education is lower because of it.

Graduate employment is complex- it matters more who you are rather than where you got your degree. Certain names might open more doors than others, but they wont let you through that door unless you can bring the right qualities to the employer. If you think you'll be happier at UWE, and thus have a better chance of doing well in your studies, then its a sensible choice- a third at Nottingham will be just as low down the pecking order as a third from anywhere else.
yep.. I Just prefereed Brunel to QMUL
Reply 6
How could you have a firm and insurance if both offers were unconditional? To the best of my knowledge the only permissible combinations are UF, CF, CF+CI, CF+UI, which makes sense because UF+UI would be pointless (if it's unconditional you automatically get into your firm choice making the insurance choice redundant).
I did i think! the course i've choosen just seemed so much better at northampton than at winchester and the atmosphere and equipment they have seems much better! your goin there for the course! that and feeling comfortable is all that matters... its ur life! :smile: my friends are obssessed with ranking but whats the point in spending years of your life unhappily just for that!
VodkaBear90
I chose the University of The West of England (UWE) as my Firm and The University of Nottingham as my insurance.

Almost everyone that i've discussed this with thinks i've made a huge mistake by not picking Nottingham as my firm. :rolleyes:

Now, I don't regret choosing UWE as its the uni I felt most comfortable with, plus it's an amazing city, but it has got me thinking how many others have done this.

Oh, and my offers had no bearing on my decision. Both offers were unconditional :yep:
Um, if you do this it'll rip a big hole in the space time continuum. Everyone knows the Times Good University Guide is intricately linked to the fabric of the universe.
Reply 9
nuodai
How could you have a firm and insurance if both offers were unconditional? To the best of my knowledge the only permissible combinations are UF, CF, CF+CI, CF+UI, which makes sense because UF+UI would be pointless (if it's unconditional you automatically get into your firm choice making the insurance choice redundant).

I was thinking exactly the same thing. I think maybe the OP is a bit confused... or else needs to check, quickly, that they weren't in fact conditional. If they're unconditional, there's only a firm choice. Otherwise what would the insurance be insurance against?!:s-smilie:
I don't know exactly but I do know that my firm choice required lower grades than my insurance.

We were recommended to place our high-grades-needed university as our firm, but I didn't like the idea of doing that in case I got in because it wasn't the university I wanted to attend...
Reply 11
nuodai

Yep, you're right. My UWE offer wasn't originally unconditional (my mistake, not the unis) :s-smilie:

Still, on my UCAS Track choices page, UWE is my Firm and Nottingham is my Insurance.
Reply 12
My firm wanted lower grades than my insurance (240 rather than 300) but I wanted to go to my now firm as the course they did allowed me more room to stretch

Latest

Trending

Trending