The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
I'm male and no, I'm not homophobic (in that I do not dislike/hate people solely because they're homosexual).

I do believe in gay adoption, because not only do I think that an orphan would have a better life raised in a home rather than in a series of foster homes, but also because there have been children who have come from same-sex households and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with them, they're perfectly happy with their childhood.

However I don't believe in gay marriage. Marriage is something that was originally created by the church, and I don't think the state ought to have the right to change a religious ritual, and still maintain it as something belonging to that religion. Therefore I believe that the state should rather create civil partnerships which give the same rights as marriages (as is the case, as far as I am aware, in the UK). Unfortunately for many there is personally a large discrepancy in their perspectives concerning these two (saying 'I became a civil partner' or whatever is not nearly as enjoyable as saying 'I got married') even though the technical difference might be minimal.

Some people do shape their identity around one aspect of themselves, such as the housewife who's view of her identity (in a day-to-day sense I mean) consists of her family and her home. The professor who's identity may mainly consist of their writings or research. Similarly, some gays may centre their identity on their sexuality. If it remains at a superficial level, then that's fine. We all do it (as students, we focus our lives [at the moment anyway] around becoming smarter having good grades). But if someone only really considers their worth in terms of that one aspect, then they can be boring. But this doesn't just happen with homosexuals.

Also, 'camp-ness', I think, is more of a personality trait than anything. Some may dislike it or not, just as one may dislike someone who is competitive or introverted.

This is just what I think though.

EDIT:

Someone mentioned the problem about homosexuality and how 'natural' it is, and this came to mind.
Reply 101
Ignatius
Therefore I believe that the state should rather create civil partnerships which give the same rights as marriages (as is the case, as far as I am aware, in the UK). Unfortunately for many there is personally a large discrepancy in their perspectives concerning these two (saying 'I became a civil parter' or whatever is not nearly as enjoyable as saying 'I got married') even though the technical difference might be minimal.

You could always call them civil marriages, I suppose.
Reply 102
ocelotrevs
Can't say that I agree with that.
Everything defination I have read of the word homophobia means an irrational fear of homosexuals.

That's the definition yes, but the etymology is from 'homo', greek meaning 'the same' and 'phobia'.
Reply 103
How disgusting that some people actually consider themselves homophobic. Bigots.
Ignatius
Marriage is something that was originally created by the church

Wrong. Marriage was a civil contract before it was ever a religious ceremony.
Ladipidoo
I'm not homophobic, but I get irritated with the effeminate traits some gay men acquire. :colonhash:

I totoally agree. fair enough, be gay. but that doesn't automatically make you have a lisp and talk in an american accent.
I don't approve of homosexuality.
I don't like homosexuality...but I don't hold anything against those who practice it.
I am ok with homosexuality but not gay adoption
Reply 109
necessarily benevolent
Because marriage is traditionally an institution between a man and a woman with the purpose to produce offspring. It kind of makes a mockery of the institution of marriage because, and I'll say what I think, homosexuality is not a compatible sexual (genital incompatibility) and spiritual (Yin and Yang) relationship as heterosexuality is. I think also that once when we have gay marriage is opens up a slippery slope to other, less desirable, forms of marriage (e.g. zoophilia and necrophilia).

It's not saying that I hate gays however.

Wtf. Are you being serious, you feel that gay marriage could lead to the weirdo down the street one day marrying his cat, therefore meaning he will be able to consumate the marriage later on. Probably the dumbest thing i ever heard. I dont really care about gay marriage, i mean people tell me the bible dosent agree with homosexuality and so it seems a bit wrong, but im not that bothered. Live how you want.
teshla^^
I don't like homosexuality...but I don't hold anything against those who practice it.

I love how it's portrayed as some sort of hobby people can practise. I don't understand how people can dislike it? It's just the way some people are, beyond their own control, it doesn't affect non-homosexuals in any way whatsoever. :confused:

I guess it's just social conditioning and indoctrination throughout generations but I'm sure it'll be eradicated soon enough.
damos92
Wtf. Are you being serious, you feel that gay marriage could lead to the weirdo down the street one day marrying his cat, therefore meaning he will be able to consumate the marriage later on. Probably the dumbest thing i ever heard. I dont really care about gay marriage, i mean people tell me the bible dosent agree with homosexuality and so it seems a bit wrong, but im not that bothered. Live how you want.

I think that a relaxing traditional bonds of marriage could potentially lead to an extreme liberalism that allows such things, yes.
damos92

Your clearly a fool. Homosexuality is a corruption of the natural order of things - sexuality being the duality that creates life. It is no different to any other corruption of sexuality and so it does set a dangerous precedent to allow homosexuals to marry.
PurpleMonkeyDishwasher
I love how it's portrayed as some sort of hobby people can practise. I don't understand how people can dislike it? It's just the way some people are, beyond their own control, it doesn't affect non-homosexuals in any way whatsoever. :confused:

I guess it's just social conditioning and indoctrination throughout generations but I'm sure it'll be eradicated soon enough.

Homosexuality has existed for a long long time. The gay rights movement is all about the promotion of homosexuality thats what people have a problem with.
Reply 114
Apocalypte
Wrong. Marriage was a civil contract before it was ever a religious ceremony.

Of course, but we're concerned with Christian marriage when it comes to this argument.
Reply 115
God of War
Your clearly a fool. Homosexuality is a corruption of the natural order of things - sexuality being the duality that creates life. It is no different to any other corruption of sexuality and so it does set a dangerous precedent to allow homosexuals to marry.

Wait, where in my post did i say, ' I agree with homosexual marriage'? Im not bothered, i dont spend my life worrying about it to be honest. I mean, if i was forced to vote i would say no as the bible clearly dosent want it and i do agree with marriage being about faith. But don't just label people a fool without a good arguement.
God of War
Homosexuality has existed for a long long time. The gay rights movement is all about the promotion of homosexuality thats what people have a problem with.

You can't really advertise homosexuality, I don't think promotion os a good way to describe it. Gay rights aim to seek equality and justice for a group of people who are oppressed in society, what's wrong with that? Gay rights people aren't trying to 'turn' people homosexual or encourage people to be homosexual because you can't become homosexual. They're trying to make people more aware that how homosexuals are still treated by some members of society is wrong.
Ignatius
Of course, but we're concerned with Christian marriage when it comes to this argument.

Christian marriage should stop being recognised by the state IMO, only civil marriages should be recognised and everyone should be able to have one. I don't understand how two gay people getting a civil marriage offends anyone; the church don't own rights to the use of the word 'marriage' and marriage existed long before Christianity did. It's completely unjustified.
Reply 118
Its intresting... there are almost twice as many homophobic males as there are females. As it happens, i know two homophobic guys but no homophobic girls. Thats a really hard word to keep typing :p:

No and I'm female btw :smile:
Would anyone kindly explain to me the difference between a 'civil partnership' and a 'marriage'? What rights does marriage exercise that civil partnerships do not?

This is something that I should probably educate myself on for future reference ^^ Thank you!

Latest

Trending

Trending