The Student Room Group

Have you ever questioned your gender identity?

It is becoming more and more common for young people to consciously question their gender identity. The majority of people who question their gender identity are likely to come to the verdict that their gender identity does indeed match their birth sex. Others will come to the realisation that they identify more with the opposite sex, or that they are a combination of genders, or they may feel as if the sit outside the gender-binary altogether.

To close out pride month, here's a question: have you ever questioned your gender identity? If anyone feels like sharing a little about their experience, regardless of how they currently identify or where they are in the process, then they are very much welcome to do so. :h:

You can find the TSR Pride Month Hub 2023! 🌈🌈🌈 thread here. :smile:

Please note that this is not a debate thread. It is a place intended for sharing of personal experience rather than a place to invalidate others identities. Debate posts will be dealt with accordingly.
Reply 1
No
Nope, don't really care about my gender identity (not really something I think about beyond me knowing that I'm female) or care about trying to fit gender stereotypes/"norms".
No, I have never questioned my gender identity, but my sexuality. I am and feel myself like a man.
Never.
Sometimes I did as a child/young teen (was quite a 'tom boy'), this reduced during my mid and later teens. On occasion as an adult I have. But usually feel quite comfortable with she/her and female gender :smile:
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Sometimes I did as a child/young teen (was quite a 'tom boy'), this reduced during my mid and later teens. On occasion as an adult I have. But usually feel quite comfortable with she/her and female gender :smile:

I just got a flashback about a friend. She was a tomboy and accused by the people in her surrounding, even by the parents. I was faced with pure ugly intolerance and obsolete views for the first time.
Reply 8
As a teen, no. Usually teens are those who question their sexuality, in my case I was at my 20's when I started thinking I might be into girls too...
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Yes.

You answered a while ago, I know. But I still respect your honesty til this day.
Original post by 1582
It is becoming more and more common for young people to consciously question their gender identity. The majority of people who question their gender identity are likely to come to the verdict that their gender identity does indeed match their birth sex. Others will come to the realisation that they identify more with the opposite sex, or that they are a combination of genders, or they may feel as if the sit outside the gender-binary altogether.

To close out pride month, here's a question: have you ever questioned your gender identity? If anyone feels like sharing a little about their experience, regardless of how they currently identify or where they are in the process, then they are very much welcome to do so. :h:

You can find the TSR Pride Month Hub 2023! 🌈🌈🌈 thread here. :smile:

Please note that this is not a debate thread. It is a place intended for sharing of personal experience rather than a place to invalidate others identities. Debate posts will be dealt with accordingly.

No. But after watching Evangelion, I did question the purpose of my existence but not my gender identity
Reply 11
Never thought about it much at all. When I read about this stuff (and I see a lot of it in philosophy circles, obviously) it's a strange experience because it strikes me that loads of people have had some sort of experience with this (more than most people recognise, and certainly more than will admit to it in public) whereas it has never been a question in my mind.

When I started growing my hair I used to get 'aren't you bothered that people will think you look like a girl' or 'do you want to be a woman' and all that type of stuff, and the answer was just a flat 'no'. I don't think about it, I have never cared about it.
No
Original post by gjd800
Never thought about it much at all. When I read about this stuff (and I see a lot of it in philosophy circles, obviously) it's a strange experience because it strikes me that loads of people have had some sort of experience with this (more than most people recognise, and certainly more than will admit to it in public) whereas it has never been a question in my mind.

When I started growing my hair I used to get 'aren't you bothered that people will think you look like a girl' or 'do you want to be a woman' and all that type of stuff, and the answer was just a flat 'no'. I don't think about it, I have never cared about it.

I like this attitude.

Quick Reply

Latest