The Student Room Group

Should I get this remarked? (What are the odds)

So I just got sent my individual marks for each paper and the grade boundaries so I calculated how far off I was from the next level. Most of my stuff is right in the middle either way, except for these:

5% from level 7 in Chem HL
4% from level 7 in Business HL
3% from level 7 in Biology SL

What are the odds of getting an extra 3-5%? Or do people usually only ask for a remark with like 1% away?

Also, can you ask to remark your TOK essay? I got a D on mine (12 marks)!!! when my teachers in my school moderated it to a 29! I dont think it was that bad. Since I got a B on my EE I only need 9 more marks from the essay to get 2 points (instead of 1). Not that I need points, Im fine with what I have, I just cant believe it got 12 marks
Reply 1
well i think it is necessary for you to remark so that you can meet the requirements for university, otherwise i dont think it is worth the money to do it. In my opinion, i believe it is easier for business to be remarked to get a 7 than the sciences
Reply 2
I don't think science remarks are particularly worth it since the markscheme is really clear-cut. If you don't need the points for university then I don't think it's worth the hassle.

Also, does anyone know how much it costs for a remark, and if they refund the fee should they find you to have deserved a higher grade than they originally gave you since it was their mistake in the first place? (I heard A Levels do this)
Reply 3
Not sure about how much it costs for a remark, but yes, they do refund the fee if your mark goes up.
Reply 4
ivy12003
Not sure about how much it costs for a remark, but yes, they do refund the fee if your mark goes up.

Only if a certain number of students' mark for a school in that course changes by more tha 4% (up or downn)...
It can be individual aswell as based on how many in a school apply for a remark. It's true that it's harder for the sciences to be remarkd as there is a clear answer, however if you want more points - go for it! It should be ok in business anyway :smile:
It costs 53 pound for each one, and then that gets back to you if they change. Good luck! Im hoping to get some remarked myself.
Reply 6
I think things are worth a remark for reasons other than current university offer. For me going up to 40 pts gave me a lovely scholarship cheque which I didn't know about at results time. My sister changed uni and course going through the whole UCAS thing again, an extra point in the right subject meant a huge difference, although her firm university offer at the time had been met.

GODIVA If you're going to always wonder if you should have remarked then I'd do it. I'd certainly try the TOK.
Reply 7
I'm wondering about remarks too. Firstly, do you have to send all the papers for the subject back or can you send 1 out of 3? I did very badly in one of my papers for Psychology (3) but very well in another paper (7). I could understand this, except in mocks I always did very well in the paper I got a level 3 in, and it was easily my strongest topic. The paper I got level 7 in I'd never done a mock of before, and had just flicked through a couple of past questions to see what sort of thing comes up. It seems a ltitle odd.

Would it be worth remarking it? Or is there any way possible of askign for the script to see where it went wrong? I'm just really curious!

Latest

Trending

Trending