The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The exam tomorrow will include technology, power and dialect :smile:

If you don't want to resit it and think you don't have to then just don't go lol.
Reply 21
lol...ok the FIRST question always asks you to group, and give reasons.

The second question ALWAYS asks you to analyse texts, and explain how the language features are affected by context.

When people say "discuss what is relevant to context" i get really confused. What do people mean when they say that?

^^ This is for ENB1, by the way.
i know...i'll post the answer in a bit....im on the phone...
Reply 23
I'm a technology freak, so will attempt that question.

Dialect confuses me, so I'll leave that question.

Power is strange, but seems easier than dialect. I'll do that question.

I haven't done any revision, I find it really hard to 'revise' a subject such as this!

But I HATE having to do a paper (Paper 2 in this case) and then straight after getting Paper 1 put on my desk. It shakes you and gives you no time to think of what each paper is asking for.

Like General Studies today, there is no '5 minute break' in between to get another bottle of water. Grr :mad:
Revision for this is probably minimal, since it's mainly technique (as you don't know what the texts will be), and if you have that you should be okay. But for higher marks you should've revised researchers, theory etc. to relate to the text and explain your quotes :wink:

'Discuss what is relevant to context' is basically looking at the bigger picture. For example, in ENB1, it might be, where would the text be found and how does this affect the language? A poster at a train station, for example, would probably have a striking title in a large font, to attract people walking past who might only give it a passing glance to see if it interests them, whereas with a magazine article the author would assume the reader is sitting relaxing, and can take the time to read a lot of detail :smile:
"discuss what is relevant to context"

for example of you get a text like a magazine, then discuss graphology and grammar because they have been dilibratly adjuted by the text producer and they are most relevant to context....i suppose, you got any otther specific examples...
Reply 26
THE UNDERDOG
"discuss what is relevant to context"

for example of you get a text like a magazine, then discuss graphology and grammar because they have been dilibratly adjuted by the text producer and they are most relevant to context....i suppose, you got any otther specific examples...

Thanks Jenny an Underdog, i understand that now...

i STILL don't get what pragmatics is - and how you're supposed to comment on that...

Also, when commenting on grammar, do we comment on JUST sentence construction or anything else..
Reply 27
The rules that govern and describe how language is used in different contexts and environments. Eg. When talking to head of state, or perhaps a teacher, one would generally use a more formal tone of voice. On the other hand, when talking with mates they may use slang. Pragmatics can be related to almost anything.
Pragmatics is practical contexty stuff/underlying meaning...you will most likely do it without realising so don't worry about it :smile: Just like, if a text is ironic for example, or subtly persuading, or just the context stuff mentioned above :smile:

Grammar: pronouns are always easy to talk about, and also sentence types (minor, simple etc.) and functions (declarative, interrogative etc.)
Reply 29
So for example when it asks you comment on pragmatics...in a speech made by the Prime Minister...would you just write something like:

"pragmatically, there is a formal register because this is what one would expect when speaking in a formal environment, such as the House of Parliament".

I'm guessing here...i have no idea lol
Reply 30
Yea pragmatics often links with semantics. ie. implied meaning and blah
Reply 31
Cheers for that guys...appreciated
Reply 32
sqa7
So for example when it asks you comment on pragmatics...in a speech made by the Prime Minister...would you just write something like:

"pragmatically, there is a formal register because this is what one would expect when speaking in a formal environment, such as the House of Parliament".

I'm guessing here...i have no idea lol

you don't have to use the 'buzz' words. personally i think it makes a candidate sound boring, pre-rehearsed. if you mention a point, whether it be grammar or pragmatics, it will be credited.

Go on to say what does this achieve? it isn't only the formal register is it, it's the grammar, lexical choices and semantic fields a PM would use.
^^ I agree, don't say 'pragmatically', 'grammatically' or whatever. One of my teachers told me to this year but it's only because he's a REALLY lazy marker. I just ignored him lol. And another disadvantage is that the examiner is more likely to notice if you've not used a wide range of frameworks/focused heavily on one, rather than thinking 'wow there are some really good points here'.

I would say something like,

Text X appears to have a formal tone, for example, this is shown by
'quote from text'
The use of lexis here gives the effect of...(and then explain other features if there are any). Context is clearly significant here, as elevated lexis is a main feature of language in formal environments such as Parliament...etc. etc.
Reply 34
Yep I'm doing AQA Eng Lang tommorow.

Feel fairly confident actually!

On ENB1, question 1 is the grouping exercise. Hopefully shouldn’t be too much of a problem…. For question 2, when it talks about analysing the text and how it's affected by context, you've really just got to say things like "The context of this text is two close friends talking to each other, therefore the lexis is informal and colloquial. The pragmatics imply that they know each other well because…. etc etc. It’s basically just analysing and saying WHY these language features are present (ie. because of the context in which the text was written/spoken)

Don’t know whether anyone else has been given this advice but my teacher keeps on about deciding which 3 texts you are going to analyse for question 2 BEFORE you do your groupings for question 1 so that you can make sure that you cover every text, and that you don’t run out of things to say for question 2 in question 1….. dunno whether I’ve explained all this well enough but I know what I mean myself lol! :smile:

On ENB2 we have to pick from 2 out of 3 sections: Language & technology, accent and dialect, and language and power.

Btw. Did anyone go to the talk in Manchester a few months ago, when all the senior examiners were talking about/giving tips for this exam? Tim Shortis who sets the paper was there etc etc??? What did you think of it? I suppose it was kinda useful… :confused:

Anyway good luck to you all, and if you still don’t understand what the question wants of you then you’ve got a big problem! :biggrin:
Reply 35
Can someone give a brief outline of the theorists for the power question :smile:
Reply 36
OK i'm going to sleep guys....good luck to EVERYONE!

My exam's at 2pm...so i'll be here in the morning *revising* lol

See ya til then
From what I can find of my notes from last year (I know for definite there are a few missing, of the ones I learnt anyway):

Illocutionary acts (representatives, directives, commissives, expressives, declarations)

Jackson & Stockwell, 1990s: Hierarchy of propositions (Assertion, Presupposition, Entailment, Inference)

Atkinson, 1984: Claptraps in persuasive speeches/text (lists of 3, contrastive pairs, positive evaluation of 'us', negative evaluation of 'them')

Austin: Locutionary, illocutionary and perlocutionary acts

Densmoore, 1971: Power often lies with those who don't disclose vulnerabilities
-denying validty of topic
-refusing to talk on someones chosen topic
-withholding person info.

Giles, 1970s: Accommodation theory - upward, downward and mutual convergence. Attitudes to accents - RP more prestigious etc., but regional accents warmer and more persuasive

Goffman: concept of 'face', basic human need to be liked and respected. In conversation, speakers need to maintain own and other's face (although depending on context and social relationship)

Grice, 1975: Maxims (quantity, relevance, manner, quality)

Sinclair and Coulthard, 1975: Initiation, Response, Feedback

Hope it's not too late because it took ages to type out!

Good luck to everyone taking it today, I hope you get some nice transcripts :biggrin:
Reply 38
That went bad :frown:

The Paper 1 texts were horrible!
Last year's paper one was sh*t too.
I came out thinking I'd got a bout 25%, but I got 84/105 :confused: I got a lower mark on ENB2 but I thought it was much easier. Happened with practically everyone, and some right thickos got 100%! :biggrin:

So, my message to you: don't worry! I'm sure the examiners will have fun with their lottery game and pick you out a nice mark. :smile:

Wait, that sounds mean. I don't mean to be. You probably did really well, and, if you did, I am pleased for you. :smile:

My coursework was what saved my grade...

Latest

Trending

Trending