The Student Room Group

Do star signs actually mean anything?

Scroll to see replies

I follow and believe in them religiously :moon:

Not really, I don't even read my horoscope incase I read something bad :ninja: I get scared and feel as if I've been jinxed :emo:
Reply 21
It's as if you asked if creationism was actually true
Reply 22
AntoineUK
It's as if you asked if creationism was actually true

Not quite as bad as questioning the invalidity of creationism...But close
It's utter rubbish. When I read my horoscope (just for laughs, obviously), I always read the others too and find that I can apply all of them to my life :rofl:
Bull.
I'm a Capricorn, and I'm supposed to be organised and rich as ****?

...Yeah, clearly.
Reply 25
breakthru
People randomly assign silly historical names according to your date of birth, things like Capricorn, Libra, Scorpio etc. And they say people have distinct personalities based on these star signs. But is this really true? Has it been proved at all?

What I find particularly ludicrous is all these horoscopes each week saying "oh, you will meet the love of your life but you will experience a case of bad luck". Who writes this utter **** and is it actually true?

it was prioven in the 50's i think that there is absolutly no relaition between those 2.

personally i belive there maby be a slight one, due to what time of the year your birthday is but other than that no way.
Yes, they mean coolness.
The closer you are to being an Aries, the better and cooler you get :awesome:
Reply 27
o also what "creationism"?
Reply 28
They're a load of ********.

Sorry to anyone who does believe them but people who like to say they are atheist still have the insanity to believe it actually means something.

Gemini you fill find a new love this week. A steady accumulation of wealth will attract many members of the opposite sex.

A load of ****. I made that one up by the way. It's written to fill the women's sections of newspapers.
Reply 29
Lady_KaKa
It's utter rubbish. When I read my horoscope (just for laughs, obviously), I always read the others too and find that I can apply all of them to my life :rofl:

They're cleverly written so the people reading them, who often over think and have deep insecurities will actually associate a load of typed ******** with their own life, thus believing in it.
Reply 30
i don't believe horoscopes are true, but alot of people i have met are alot like their starsign. According to my sign i get along most with scorpio and pisces. Pretty much everyone im close to is either one of those starsigns.. maybe just coincidence though
Joseph90
They're cleverly written so the people reading them, who often over think and have deep insecurities will actually associate a load of typed ******** with their own life, thus believing in it.

Haha yeah my favourite has to be "a lottery ticket brings you luck" in the newspaper horoscopes EVERY Wednesday and Saturday without fail :rolleyes:
Cultivated
Yes, they mean coolness.
The closer you are to being an Aries, the better and cooler you get :awesome:

Bang. *******. On.

I'd like to think they do, but obviously they don't.
nope they mean nothing
Reply 34
It just an ancient part of 'mythology' of sorts, something that people of the past strongly believed in. I'm not sure if I believe it all but there are often things that are very true, not so much about magazine horoscopes but if you look at the personality traits of the different signs there have definitely been things that are true for me and others I know.

I did once have a horoscope that was scarily correct, I mean like exactly. It said something about 'You're going out to dinner with a vegetarian friend, but don't worry about hurting her feelings and going to a non-vegetarian restaurant' or something equally bizarre and random as that. I read it on the train home after visiting the Gourmet Burger Kitchen with my veggie friend.
It's funny to read out the wrong star sign to someone who believes in them 100% and watch them say "Omg that is exactly me". Yeh sure.
About as real as how the way a cheese string splits will effect the chinese economy.
Reply 37
not really.

though Grazia ones are always accurate for me!
It's ********. I remember reading that if you're born in a certain place, like the extreme north or south, you technically don't have a starsign because the constellations don't line up or something like that.

The prevalence of people in our supposedly enlightened society who continue to believe in things like psychics, mediums, tarot cards, homeopathy etc. is really disturbing.

Quick Reply

Latest