The Student Room Group

Tattoo.. Dilemma

Right , I been thinking about getting a tattoo for months and decided I definetly want one now. I can either get it done tomorrow on my own, or wait til Thursday and my boyfriend can come with me.

I want to get it done asap cos I'm going on holiday in a month and it needs to heal before I get in the swimming pool etc.

On the other hand I don't really want to go on my own. Has anyone had their tattoo done on their own before? Is it better to have someone there as support? Silly I know but I'm really stuck, appreciate all good answers. thank you
I hate having other people there when I get tattood. There's really no reason why you should need somebody. Having said that, I did have somebody there the first time, but that was due to unfounded nervousness about the studio environment.
Becuase it would be your first tattoo,
I do think it would be best if you had someone there.

But you'll manage just fine if you choice to go alone.
Reply 3
I went for mine on my own. It was fine, just make sure you eat before it and take a drink and something sugary to eat with you:smile:
Don't get it done now if you're going on holiday. The sun will seriously make your tattoo deterioate, especially if it's fresh. Wait til after you've come back.
Reply 5
I would want someone there because I would be way too nervous :P:
Reply 6
best75
Right , I been thinking about getting a tattoo for months and decided I definetly want one now. I can either get it done tomorrow on my own, or wait til Thursday and my boyfriend can come with me.

I want to get it done asap cos I'm going on holiday in a month and it needs to heal before I get in the swimming pool etc.

On the other hand I don't really want to go on my own. Has anyone had their tattoo done on their own before? Is it better to have someone there as support? Silly I know but I'm really stuck, appreciate all good answers. thank you

I'm lucky, my brother is a tattoo artist so I can chat to him about really good things, and does mine for free. But I was at my house for my first tattoo, and my mum was there to talk to.

Not because I was in need of support, but because you get really bored. Especially when you can't see what's going on.

Make sure you can see the TV or have some music when you get one, or bring someone to chat to :P If not, go ahead and talk to the artist about yourself. They love a good chit chat.
Reply 7
i went with my mate and recorded the whole thing LOL but its not really that bad well didnt look it..
Reply 8
psychocustard
Don't get it done now if you're going on holiday. The sun will seriously make your tattoo deterioate, especially if it's fresh. Wait til after you've come back.

Agreed, was going to say the same thing

Also make sure if its anywhere visible (ie where sun will get to it) use a fair bit of sun protection on it.

*edit* and to your original point, someone there to support you maybe a good idea, specially if the design your getting is on a painful area
Reply 9
psychocustard

agreed. you should wait for your tan to fade after you come back as well.

and have you got an appointment? Most places that you can just walk into and get a tattoo without an appointment won't be worth going to, the place I go to to has a three month+ waiting list
Reply 10
Depends what you prefer, so if you don't want your bf there it's fine.

Though I don't know why you think you don't need to go in to book your appointment first, it's not first come first serve you know. Not in reputable tattoo studio.

Repeating people's advice, again -go for it after your holiday.
Reply 11
Making a slightly different point here...

Have you got a really firm idea of what you want done? You didn't mention having chosen your design yet, and it would be a bad idea to make an impulse decision, or not put enough thought into your design, because you just wanted one done quickly before the holiday.
I would strongly recommend you wait until AFTER your holiday to get inked.
Most people foolishly get tattooed in the summer. This is the WORST possible season to get a tattoo. The sun is a tattoo's worst enemy. It will damage and fade a tattoo, let alone a fresh one. I dread to think what dirty pool water will do to a fresh tattoo. It's just not worth the risk imo.

Seriously take the time to consider postponing it until autumn.
Reply 13
best75

Go alone is my advice. You might be a bit nervous when you first go in but once you're there getting inked, it soon becomes boring more than anything.

I have never had a tattoo with a friend there but I wouldn't like it. I'm sitting there, leaning over a chair with my shirt off as a 6 foot something, heavily tattooed, Hells Angel lookalike drives needles into my back. I imagine having someone there would just make you more self conscious, especially if you're sitting there for hours.

Also, if you can't hack the pain it could be even more embarrassing in front of friends. :o:
I get tatooed on my own and it's not a big deal. But i agree with those who advised you to wait and do it after your holiday.
Reply 15
Ilora-Danon
I would strongly recommend you wait until AFTER your holiday to get inked.
Most people foolishly get tattooed in the summer. This is the WORST possible season to get a tattoo. The sun is a tattoo's worst enemy. It will damage and fade a tattoo, let alone a fresh one. I dread to think what dirty pool water will do to a fresh tattoo. It's just not worth the risk imo.

Seriously take the time to consider postponing it until autumn.

This is also true. How long did you say it was before you went on holiday? An itchy, scabby tattoo is the last thing you want on holiday. If it's a big one you'll be showering wherever you walk with little flakes of scab and it's really not hot. Imagine that in a swimming pool.

Scabs should be done between 7 - 10 days. There will be new shiny skin underneath that but it's really best to wait a few weeks before going swimming. Sunlight isn't good for a tattoo either, especially if it has colour as it'll fade nastily.

Latest

Trending

Trending