The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Laura_f_1990
Thats the only + i'm seeing atm. I'm really not squeemish.. but I'm not buying this "stick a rod in your arm" thing...

Well the implant is apparently the most effective contraception, more effective than sterilisation, though I'm not sure how that works :-/ LOL. It's a 1/1000 risk over 3 years.

I would recommend a long acting contraceptive rather than the pill. Can't understand why they aren't putting more people on them, and my doctor said they are having a big "promotion" to get people onto them.

Why do you not buy the rod in your arm thing?

I must admit it's pretty weird to trust it but hey, we trust pills and jabs!

If you have any side effects with the injection such as bleeding, sickness etc you're stuck with it for 3 months, whereas the implant can be removed anytime (ultimately that swayed my decision)

To be honest I would recommend against the pill. I used it for 3 years and had so many scares (even though I never missed a pill I worried about it anyway), the 7 day rule is annoying, going abroad can get complicated with time differences...
Reply 21
Anonymous
Well the implant is apparently the most effective contraception, more effective than sterilisation, though I'm not sure how that works :-/ LOL. It's a 1/1000 risk over 3 years.

I would recommend a long acting contraceptive rather than the pill. Can't understand why they aren't putting more people on them, and my doctor said they are having a big "promotion" to get people onto them.

Why do you not buy the rod in your arm thing?

I must admit it's pretty weird to trust it but hey, we trust pills and jabs!

If you have any side effects with the injection such as bleeding, sickness etc you're stuck with it for 3 months, whereas the implant can be removed anytime (ultimately that swayed my decision)

To be honest I would recommend against the pill. I used it for 3 years and had so many scares (even though I never missed a pill I worried about it anyway), the 7 day rule is annoying, going abroad can get complicated with time differences...

I'd rather get an injection bt trying to find out all the differences. And for me, thats finding out other peoples experiences. I've looked up NHS and various other medical sites about it.

I just don't like the thought of it coming out, since your skin attaches to it.
Reply 22
Laura_f_1990
I'd rather get an injection bt trying to find out all the differences. And for me, thats finding out other peoples experiences. I've looked up NHS and various other medical sites about it.

I just don't like the thought of it coming out, since your skin attaches to it.

I must admit thats the bit I am not looking forward to next month :s-smilie:. I"m not squemish in the slightest, but yuck!. I assume it will have tissued quite a bit in the 3 years since I had it inserted.
Reply 23
Annie72
I must admit thats the bit I am not looking forward to next month :s-smilie:. I"m not squemish in the slightest, but yuck!. I assume it will have tissued quite a bit in the 3 years since I had it inserted.

hope it goes well!
Reply 24
Laura_f_1990
hope it goes well!

Thankyou :smile:
Reply 25
I've been taking the pill for nearly 2 years now and i'm just about to stop. For a year i've been having fairly continuous periods which is just not fun at all. Before that I had no period at all.
I'm swapping the pill for the injection.
Definitely don't want the implant - too scared about that!
I have considered the IUD coil but i don't have enough money for that so while i'm saving up for that, i'm going to try the injection to sort out my periods.
Reply 26
also, people on the depo injection - does it make you gain weight?
i gained a huge amount of weigtht with my pill (cerazette) and this, along with "real" reasons is why i'm looking to try something else. If the injection makes you gain weight then I may well try to think about something else...
Reply 27
>.< Gah. its all confusing XD
Reply 28
ChloeGsy
also, people on the depo injection - does it make you gain weight?
i gained a huge amount of weigtht with my pill (cerazette) and this, along with "real" reasons is why i'm looking to try something else. If the injection makes you gain weight then I may well try to think about something else...

Nope. I've not gained weight on it anyway.

But then i don't believe any of them MAKE you gain weight. We choose what we put in our mouths at the end of the day....
ChloeGsy
I've been taking the pill for nearly 2 years now and i'm just about to stop. For a year i've been having fairly continuous periods which is just not fun at all. Before that I had no period at all.
I'm swapping the pill for the injection.
Definitely don't want the implant - too scared about that!
I have considered the IUD coil but i don't have enough money for that so while i'm saving up for that, i'm going to try the injection to sort out my periods.

My doctor said weight gain is a side effect of depo injections.

The major one of the implant is hair thinning.

Coils are free on the NHS are they not? Is it because it's not for contraceptive use?
I'm on the implant and it's the best contraceptive method I reckon. You forget about it once it's there and don't need to get another for 3 years. You don't have to think about taking a pill everyday and don't have to get pill packets all the time. Also, the injection apparently makes you gain weight and many have complained about mood swings.
With the implant, I have a VERY light period, lasting 1-2 days and have the occasional bleed but the benefits definitely outweigh the cons :smile:
Reply 31
How much is the implant?

And no, i live in Guernsey so I don't get anything on the NHS because we have no NHS!
Having been on all 3 i'm saying pill. Implant gave me constant periods, and Depo made me put on 4 stone and both those 2 made my depression worse
I been taking the pill for around 3 years now, im on cilest and i have had no problems my moods are sooo much better and my periods are now alot better ie lighter and shorter. I think it has increased my appetite though but it is hard to tell as i went through a period of depression during this and i comfort eat alot.
I put mine on my nightstand to remember to take it and can easily work through things like my period being due during holidays or on important events by carrying onto another packet.
Reply 34
Ive got the implant. Had it put it last Jan, its fked my body up though. Constantly on for months off for months, visa vera. Ive been on my period since April :frown: My body doesnt like it. I know my friend cant have kids ever because of it. Damn so im scared :frown: Docs said that was just her case, its not common. But good part is it hasnt done anything to my skin, no scar, bruise or anything. But yeah i wanne get it took out, and i dont. Just wanne be a normal girl :s-smilie:
I'm on the pill.. have been for about 5 years and I've never used any other contraception (apart from condoms obviously)

The pill has never given me any problems, such as mood swings or weight gain etc etc, however... for the last 18 months I've been bleeding inbetween periods and after 18 months of tests etc I've found out that the pill has eroded my cervix, so today I had to have cryosurgery to freeze the cells that had been eroded..

..so I'm feel pretty crappy at the moment and angry at the pill!!
Reply 36
I've been on the injection for about 7 years now (don't think i've ever heard about only being able to be on it for 2 years at a time - no dr has ever mentioned it to me) I did take a break over the winter because i was working abroad so just saw it as a chance to give it a break. I've not had any side effect, it stops my periods almost completely. I occasionally get a little bit of bleeding but it will be exceptionally light and will only last for a day or two, but this only happens about once a year. Some people find that they bleed either as much as or more than normal in the first 3 months (ie before the second injection) this happened to me when i started it again in May but since i've had the next injection i've had no bleeding at all. I like it because i don't have to remember anything other than an appointment with the nurse every three months. With regards to the weight gain issue, no contraceptive makes you gain weight, some do however make you crave sweet foods which in turn could make you gain weight if you eat more than you used to. I get weighed and get my blood pressure taken everytime i get the jab and my weight has been stable the whole time, but then again i've never had much of a sweet tooth.

I've also had drs try to convince me to go on the implant, a year or so i moved house and swapped to a different surgery, the dr there nearly had me in tears and i almost walked out because she was trying to make me opt for the implant. There is some possible research to suggest that the injection can increase the risk or osteoporosis in later life. But that doesn't really bother me as i'm not in an 'at risk' group. I've since moved back to my old surgery and the nurse there is lovely, i used to have holiday injections from her when i was little and it hardly hurts when i get the injection.
Reply 37
pipsi
I've been on the injection for about 7 years now (don't think i've ever heard about only being able to be on it for 2 years at a time - no dr has ever mentioned it to me) I did take a break over the winter because i was working abroad so just saw it as a chance to give it a break. I've not had any side effect, it stops my periods almost completely. I occasionally get a little bit of bleeding but it will be exceptionally light and will only last for a day or two, but this only happens about once a year. Some people find that they bleed either as much as or more than normal in the first 3 months (ie before the second injection) this happened to me when i started it again in May but since i've had the next injection i've had no bleeding at all. I like it because i don't have to remember anything other than an appointment with the nurse every three months. With regards to the weight gain issue, no contraceptive makes you gain weight, some do however make you crave sweet foods which in turn could make you gain weight if you eat more than you used to. I get weighed and get my blood pressure taken everytime i get the jab and my weight has been stable the whole time, but then again i've never had much of a sweet tooth.

I've also had drs try to convince me to go on the implant, a year or so i moved house and swapped to a different surgery, the dr there nearly had me in tears and i almost walked out because she was trying to make me opt for the implant. There is some possible research to suggest that the injection can increase the risk or osteoporosis in later life. But that doesn't really bother me as i'm not in an 'at risk' group. I've since moved back to my old surgery and the nurse there is lovely, i used to have holiday injections from her when i was little and it hardly hurts when i get the injection.

Does the injection stop you from planning things?
Reply 38
princessnavi22
I'm on the pill.. have been for about 5 years and I've never used any other contraception (apart from condoms obviously)

The pill has never given me any problems, such as mood swings or weight gain etc etc, however... for the last 18 months I've been bleeding inbetween periods and after 18 months of tests etc I've found out that the pill has eroded my cervix, so today I had to have cryosurgery to freeze the cells that had been eroded..

..so I'm feel pretty crappy at the moment and angry at the pill!!

the pill eroded your cervix?! that sounds horrible, poor you! is that common, or is it because you've been on it so long?
i'm considering the pill because i have a phobia of needles so neither the injection or implant appeal to me, and the pill sounds like the easiest option... does cervical erosion affect your chances of having children do you know?
Reply 39
Laura_f_1990
Does the injection stop you from planning things?

I'm not quite sure what you mean. It's more flexible than the pill if that's what you mean. For example if you go on holiday and have to worry about time differences etc. With the injection as long as you get the jab every three months that's all you need to plan. Plus the window for getting the jab is between 8 and 15 weeks after the previous one so if it's due when you're away on holiday you can get it before or after you go. My nurse gives me an appointment which is 12 weeks after the injection, but one time it fell on boxing day so i had it a week earlier which was fine.

Latest

Trending

Trending