The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Absolutely ridiculous.
Reply 2
That kind of blows.
Reply 3

Did your grandmother just tell you this too? It's absurd, but it's nice to be reminded how backward Sudan is from time to time.
Reply 4
Disgusting.
Reply 5
Well the ones she was wearing were sooo out this season. this is why you shouldn't piss off the fashion police.
Girls always look much better in skirts.
What a ridiculous law. Shows how backwards some (most) Islamic states are!
Reply 8
i take it there are no nude beaches over there???
Reply 9
35mm_
What a ridiculous law. Shows how backwards some (most) Islamic states are!

You really think she is the only woman in the country walking around with jeans? This isn't Sharia law, Ghaddafi himself has hundreds of femal body guards and they wear pants, why don't they get lashed?

It's the ruling that's corrupt, they've abused the laws.
Barça
You really think she is the only woman in the country walking around with jeans? This isn't Sharia law, Ghaddafi himself has hundreds of femal body guards and they wear pants, why don't they get lashed?

It's the ruling that's corrupt, they've abused the laws.

"Under Islamic laws used in parts of the country, it is illegal for a woman to wear trousers rather than long skirts in public."

It's still classed as a breach of law in certain parts of Sudan. You're right that they're interpreting Sharia law, and it may not reflect Sharia as a whole, but Sharia does set a precedent for these types of silly laws.
Reply 11
glad i live here =)
Reply 12
So when do you think they will arrive in the 21st century?
Why does the Daily Mail place emphasis on the fact that she's a Christian? Sudan will punish any women who wear trousers regardless of personal religious affiliation. Whilst socially backwards, it's hardly surprising in a country where the leader is wanted by the Hague for crimes against civilians including ordering the bombing of refugee camps.
fire2burn
Why does the Daily Mail place emphasis on the fact that she's a Christian? Sudan will punish any women who wear trousers regardless of personal religious affiliation. Whilst socially backwards, it's hardly surprising in a country where the leader is wanted by the Hague for crimes against civilians including ordering the bombing of refugee camps.

Because, under the law, those who don't follow Islam are supposed to be exempt.
Reply 15
35mm_
"Under Islamic laws used in parts of the country, it is illegal for a woman to wear trousers rather than long skirts in public."

It's still classed as a breach of law in certain parts of Sudan. You're right that they're interpreting Sharia law, and it may not reflect Sharia as a whole, but Sharia does set a precedent for these types of silly laws.

So parts of the country has the laws and others not :rolleyes: Such stupid governance, it's embarrasing.

Sharia doesn't order the lashing of Christian women that wear jeans, don't be silly.
35mm_
Because, under the law, those who don't follow Islam are supposed to be exempt.

The police and government in Sudan are hardly renowned for following their own constitution and law to the word though. The fact that many members of the government are wanted internationally for crimes against humanity and other such charges means that I'm not surprised in the slightest by this considering the mass scale of atrocities occurring in Sudan every day.
Barça
So parts of the country has the laws and others not :rolleyes: Such stupid governance, it's embarrasing.

Quite. It is stupid, yes.
Sharia doesn't order the lashing of Christian women that wear jeans, don't be silly.

I know, in fact, this paticular law should've been, by law, exempt from non-Muslims. Sharia law, however, does sentence homosexuals to the death penalty, it does advocate the mutilation of thieves, and so on. This doesn't seem so much worse/better.

Anyway, I don't want another discussion on the virtues/vices of Sharia.
Weird.

Still, not much of a surprise really is it.
Reply 19
35mm_
Quite. It is stupid, yes.

I know, in fact, this paticular law should've been, by law, exempt from non-Muslims. Sharia law, however, does sentence homosexuals to the death penalty, it does advocate the mutilation of thieves, and so on. This doesn't seem so much worse/better.

Anyway, I don't want another discussion on the virtues/vices of Sharia.

Don't know if you've actually read the laws, the amount of clauses and rules that apply to cutting a thieves hands are so many it rarely happens. All the grave punishments carry many rules and to activate a rule it takes many things to happen, such as four witness in some cases. Following the rules properly and those punishment rarely happen, however to change or remove a certain rule to fit your agend seems to be the general reason for why the Sharia law is abused or intrepreted wrongly.

Latest

Trending

Trending