The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Doing two cross countries a year is not good exercise. Cross country is very punishing and not particularly fun if you are no good at it. So i would say no, team games are much more suitable to school. I was reasonably good at cross country, so i am not just saying this because i am crap at it.
No. I think compulsory PE is bad enough. It's a joke...
although having said that, I wouldn't mind if there was a school gym we got use of for about an hour or something, that would actually be useful. Sorry, I'm asthmatic and am never going to be a great runner, it just makes me feel ill, why should we be forced into it?
I think you should definitely choose what sort of PE activity you want to do if they're going to make PE compulsory.
Reply 62
Please no!
We already have to face compulsory P.E... I'm not running around muddy pitches in November again. I love taking a secret shortcut only I know about. Lol. Despite me being overweight... I never finish last. Hahaha.
Reply 63
Oh holy **** no. I injure my foot enough walking on flat surfaces, thank you very much. Just thinking about running and two miles and uneven surfaces... the muscles in my foot are contracting awkwardly at the thought (they know when I'm talking about them :erm: ).
at the school i've just left cross country was compulsory up until year 9.. had to do it every week through the winter and spring terms and it changed to athletics in the summer.

once we got to year 10 P.E. was optional. thank god.

no, i don't think it should be compulsory. there are other ways to exercise which are much more enjoyable and not so humiliating for people who were **** at it.

i was usually middle of the group when it came to cross country.. but the P.E. teachers were so horrible.. they used to shout and scream at us to run faster in our shorts and polo shirts in the rain or snow.. while they stood there with their coat/scarf/hat/gloves..

one of my P.E. teachers even had a ******* chair she used to bring out and sit on.. she was a right fatty though, so ya knoww.. she was the type to drive across the field with the highjump pole sticking out the back of her car instead of carrying it.
no.
Reply 66
PE was great - annoying teachers and sporty people alike.

If I was forced to do cross country, I would run the wrong way/backwards/pretend to get lost/obstruct others/stop frequently to check shoelaces/pretend to be out of breath after the first few seconds/skip annoyingly/claim I have done 10 laps more than the most sporty runner/rehearse the ministry of silly walks sketch/pretend I have lost both contact lenses etc.
Reply 67
I'm not really sure. My school was very proud to be sports college (which at least meant we had a proper gym, which the public paid to use outside of school times) and resultingly was eager to work us like dogs. Twice a year we were forced to do this 8 or 10 mile run, and due to the school's location that meant us running through housing estates, along main roads and through other built up areas (:facepalm:). The only downside was that if you trailed off and was slow then you would be late back, which meant you missing you next lesson, and breaking the law by truancy (:woo:) which made everyone sure to keep up.

Still, happy memories. :dance:
hell yeah :P
Noo :smile:
Yes it should be!

I found cross country to be a bitch, very grueling so I'm certainly not saying that because I particularly enjoyed it, I didn't, though wasn't too bad at it. We did one cross country a year if I remember correctly, where the whole year )about 250 pupils) would run through woods and fields basically countryside as the school was situated right on the edge of town. It was always last period so if you were slow, people would miss their bus home lol.

P.E and sports in general should be made more important and be compulsory, not something that people can opt out of. Also, if I had my way all secondary schools would have fully equipped gyms, I'm talking barbells, squat racks, benches etc.
laurakate1988
i think it should be made substantially optional

as i used to say whilst walking round the school field, "this isn't going to get me a job"

:facepalm:
Reply 72
Yes! It toughens you up haha
I said yes because I think everyone should have to endure it if I had to! :tongue:

Really though, I think it was horrible, and totally put me off physical education at my school. I'd been a dancer for 12 years so was in good shape and swam regularly too, yet I was hopeless at cross country, and we weren't allowed to walk otherwise we had to do an extra lap :sad:

They'd be much better off doing cardio that people could enjoy, like swimming or dancing, or doing weight training. You come out of school with some totally incorrect ideas about exercise, no wonder my PE teachers were never in good shape!

EDIT: Also, my cousin hates X country at her school and always got told off for walking in between running, so I told her to make sure she sprinted occasionally and then just say she was just doing HIIT - she got a detention!
personally, I am so glad that I have got involved in x-country, and national competitions, etc. It is something I really enjoy now, being part of a team, away trips across the country and achieving something, but I know that it is certainly not for everyone. So no
Mr Snips
PE was great - annoying teachers and sporty people alike.

If I was forced to do cross country, I would run the wrong way/backwards/pretend to get lost/obstruct others/stop frequently to check shoelaces/pretend to be out of breath after the first few seconds/skip annoyingly/claim I have done 10 laps more than the most sporty runner/rehearse the ministry of silly walks sketch/pretend I have lost both contact lenses etc.

woohoo!

i'm repping you for this :smile:

as i got towards the end of compulsary school, i realised that PE, among others things were far easier to cope with upon being approached with this sort of humour :smile:

good stuff :smile:
Reply 76
laurakate1988
woohoo!

i'm repping you for this :smile:

as i got towards the end of compulsary school, i realised that PE, among others things were far easier to cope with upon being approached with this sort of humour :smile:

good stuff :smile:

Shall I return the rep? Yes, I think I shall
Reply 77
it was complusary at my school! had to do it a couple of times a year (always in the winter tho!!) didnt kill anyone!
SuperAllano
meaning, EVERY pupil who attends the school has to do at least 2 cross countries in the year!

lets be honest, all the anti-sport / fatties on here are obviouslygoing to say no.
Hm, note, everyone who says it should be compulsary is just saying "I had to do it, so everyone else has to as well!!!" Lol.
Really, nothing to gain from it though, won't improve your fitness in the long run, not good for your education, more likely to make you hate school...

Latest

Trending

Trending