The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

When do we get our £300 deposit back?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by J1NXY0
I received an email a while ago saying that I would get my deposit back and if my account had changed I would have to give my bank details of the new account. However, this looked like an unofficial email from the university and I wasn't just going to give my account details over an email. That's just not safe!

I emailed them back saying that my account hadn't changed, therefore there should be no complications, if there were; give me a phone number to call.

Here's my response:
"From: [email protected]
To: x
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 11:19:56 +0100
Subject: RE: CLOSE OF SESSION DEPOSIT REFUND 2012

Please respond with your bank details to this e mail it is extremely safe."

Has anyone else been contacted in this way? Or is it indeed a scam?
Yes I had the same e-mail, as have quite a few of my friends from what I've heard.

Personally, regardless of whether it is from the University, I would not feel comfortable giving bank details through a bloody e-mail. Especially with the lack of security there would be with doing it through only an e-mail over the internet.

After a few e-mails, they said i could go to the student centre and give them to them there (yes, despite the fact most of us who live in the UK have gone for the Summer and would be very unlikely to specifically travel to Herts to visit the University over the holidays...).
In the end I asked if I could go there in September and give them to them then.
And they said that that would be fine as long as I don't mind waiting that long, so I'm going to go and do it then. I'd rather wait a bit for my deposit to come back rather than risk being scammed or whatever. They really should find a more secure and official way of doing it....

And I should also point out that anyone I know who has received the e-mail, I haven't seen anything to say they've got the deposit back yet (although I don't know whether they bothered to reply or not either.) So not sure if that's an indication either.
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Original post by zakji
im still waiting for my deposit back, theyve sent me an invoice for fines which i completely disagree with but that will come out of my deposit. I hope to see it soon :frown:

Did you email back contesting the fines?

I was sent an email saying I had been charged £21 for my window restrainer being removed, replied asking for proof of this as I hadn't taken it off at any point over the year.

They sent me back a picture as proof - not only was it not my room, it wasn't even a picture of the hall I was staying in. Sent them a picture of my room and got the charge removed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending