The Student Room Group

Card was randomly retained.

So, I was out the other day with a few folks, checked my balance, and then was replying to something a friend asked when the ATM machine retained my card. I don't really know why ATMs retain cards, but the only reason I've heard is when cards are cancelled or they have a negative balance, my card was neither. Anyway, I called up the bank yesterday and they've blocked and posted a new card which should reach me soon, but I'm still pretty ******* curious as to why this happened.
ATMs that retain cards are sometimes rigged by crims who place a camera above the PIN pad and a false front where you put your card in. It keeps your card, you've been filmed putting your PIN number in, they come back and collect the card later on and spend all your monies.
smellslikemarmite
ATMs that retain cards are sometimes rigged by crims who place a camera above the PIN pad and a false front where you put your card in. It keeps your card, you've been filmed putting your PIN number in, they come back and collect the card later on and spend all your monies.

******* hell. :eek3:
Reply 3
smellslikemarmite

****. I actually did know about that and saw what the cameras look like on a program too, should've checked the machine if it was there. Is that the only reason it could've been retained?
Sanyore
****. I actually did know about that and saw what the cameras look like on a program too, should've checked the machine if it was there. Is that the only reason it could've been retained?

To be honest I don't know. Have you been on holiday recently, or had any strange charges on your account? The bank sometimes keeps cards if they have a reason to believe the card is being used fraudulently.
Reply 5
Sanyore

Did it say your card had been retained or did your card just not come out??
There was a cash machine by the tube station near school that no one would use because al it did was eat cards.
It happens all the time, just the machine ******* up.
Reply 6
Sanyore

Even if it has been teaken by crims, you've had teh bank cancel it so you should be alright :smile:
Reply 7
Found this and the third reply calmed me down a little.

smellslikemarmite
To be honest I don't know. Have you been on holiday recently, or had any strange charges on your account? The bank sometimes keeps cards if they have a reason to believe the card is being used fraudulently.

Yeah, but I didn't use my card on holiday. I've used it a few times since I came back, but no major expenses, only about £16. Then again, I really don't have much money left on it, I think my balance when I checked was about £50. but that's irrelevant.

*Sparkle*
Did it say your card had been retained or did your card just not come out??
There was a cash machine by the tube station near school that no one would use because al it did was eat cards.
It happens all the time, just the machine ******* up.

Yeah, the machine said my card has been retained. Some of the folks I was with even read the sign so um yeah. Don't know if that happens if it's the rigged scam thing. A friend tried the machine before I did, his card wasn't retained.

Would the machine retain your card if you simply haven't done anything for a while? i.e., I checked the balance and then asked my compadre whether I should take out some money, and that little convo may have lasted 30 seconds or something.
Reply 8
Sanyore

Yeah, but I didn't use my card on holiday. I've used it a few times since I came back, but no major expenses, only about £16. Then again, I really don't have much money left on it, I think my balance when I checked was about £50. but that's irrelevant.

Yeah, the machine said my card has been retained. Some of the folks I was with even read the sign so um yeah. Don't know if that happens if it's the rigged scam thing. A friend tried the machine before I did, his card wasn't retained.

Would the machine retain your card if you simply haven't done anything for a while? i.e., I checked the balance and then asked my compadre whether I should take out some money, and that little convo may have lasted 30 seconds or something.

It might have done, either way don't worry, you're getting a new card so nothing is going to happen.
Reply 9
lol at sanyorecardfail
Sanyore

Sometimes it will keep the card if you take too long to do stuff.
Reply 11
zef99
lol at sanyorecardfail

don't you have wealthy antiquarian aficionados to be servicing?

Thanks folks. Should get the new card in a few days.
Reply 12
hell no. i got the day off. dull as anus though.
Reply 13
My card was taken randomly once, it turned out HSBC were sending out everyone new cards, and therefore mine was no longer valid.
I thought this was kinda messed up to be honest as my new card didn't come for 10 days, and so I had to suffer without one for that period of time. Additionally I was never told about it, and normally they'd wait until you've received your new card, and activated it before the other card is cancelled.
There are various reasons why a card might be retained - I had one taken and the only reason anyone could give was that the ATM was feeling under the weather.

An ATM wouldn't retain a card owing to a -ve balance, if it were so a lot of students would be cardless!

If it said there was a problem on the screen it's almost certainly nothing dodgy.
Reply 15
I think I've found your card... here.
That happened to me once... I don't know why! It was a brand new card as well, I had just waited ages for it when BAM it gets taken. I guess it just happens.
Reply 17
smellslikemarmite

This is truth.

Don't fret though, it could more likely be something wrong with your account or the ATM itself. Best thing is the ring your bank now, cancel the card and cover your PIN in future.

:smile:
Reply 18
zef99
lol at sanyorecardfail

this.
Reply 19
My card got retained but no wrong pin i entered or long time what does that mean

Latest

Trending

Trending