The Student Room Group

AS ICT syllabus

my first year at college is coming to an end of doing ICT at AS level. is it me or is non of the syllabus relevent unless you want to be either a secretary or a lowlife ICT teacher ?

Anyone else droppin it after AS, or recently, to avoid an E in the exam ?

And what about the notes ???

in my other three subjects i have 50 pages of notes max.
in ICT all together i have about 250 handouts of lengthy notes!!!

to top it off the only decent revision booklet is coming out...soon they say...
i think it'll be out about 2 days before the exam...sweet :rolleyes:
Reply 1
what you are doing is ICT in it self, you cant go into to some major job without knowing the basics. I am doing AQA AS ICT, and soem time i have found it boring, but the teacher said that the work has got to be done, and it applies to more jobs than you think, it may just be the teacher, as the my theroy teacher tends to tearn the theroy lessons into real life situation, which does make you see the real benfit of doing the theroy
Reply 2
ICT is great. Got one exam left for the A Level...I found A level better and easier than AS level. If you need revision notes that are at the right level of detail try the Heathcote AS Level ICT book, we used them, and I used that to revise from last year, its very useful.
Reply 3
AS ICT is a piece of cake really. I did unit 1 in year 10...revised literally a day before the exam just doing past papers and I got 90/90 UMS...

coursework is also tiny if you only include the relevant bits. My friends did up to 200 pages (half of which were screenshots) but you only really needed around 80. Anyway, good luck with unit 2
Reply 4
I'm dropping it...Mainly because of the teaching!

I mean the practical lessons are Excel, Excel, Excel and it bores you to death! Then in the theory we just used books all year! (Heathcote ones, which wouldn't be so bad except we were using the first edition ones which related to Windows 3.11 / Windows 95!

And the teacher was hell...Always breathing down your back, nervously laughing and trying to make the subject sound fun. Wonder if she'll be laughing at the *great* coursework I produced (About 50 pages, 20 were probably screenshots and most was done in the last 2 days since I hated designing what was in essence a task more suited for Access in Excel!)

Doing AS computing next year, feel I will get on a bit more with it
Reply 5
Johnt
I'm dropping it...Mainly because of the teaching!

I mean the practical lessons are Excel, Excel, Excel and it bores you to death! Then in the theory we just used books all year! (Heathcote ones, which wouldn't be so bad except we were using the first edition ones which related to Windows 3.11 / Windows 95!

And the teacher was hell...Always breathing down your back, nervously laughing and trying to make the subject sound fun. Wonder if she'll be laughing at the *great* coursework I produced (About 50 pages, 20 were probably screenshots and most was done in the last 2 days since I hated designing what was in essence a task more suited for Access in Excel!)

Doing AS computing next year, feel I will get on a bit more with it

AS computing will be more interesting. However, you might find some overlap with ICT though in some of the content in unit 1 and maybe 2 in AS. In AS you learn about networking, programming concepts, compute systems, software, applications, and hardware. In the second half of the course in A2, it becomes more interesting, as you learn about programming concepts/theory and advanced systems development.

For the coursework part of the course, you will need to make a program in A2. Usually students will use VB and Access together or only VB to create their program. For AS, you will need to create a database which you will need to follow a case study. You will need to document it, and bring that with you in the exam. The exam is basically referring to your documentation and writing page number. However, you will still be doing some writing, and they will short answers.

I'm assuming you will be following AQA. For more detail refer to the spec: http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-5511-6511-W-SP-06.pdf

Latest

Trending

Trending