Civil engineering degree personal statement example (1d) work experience, Bristol offer

This is a real personal statement written by a student for their university application. It might help you decide what to include in your own. There are lots more examples in our collection of sample personal statements. 

Few students solving equations in the classroom often think about their wider implications. The very roofing, floor and four walls surrounding them have their origins in these calculations. It is the practical application of those equations to the world and society around us that has instilled in me a passion to understand them further and apply them myself.

Admiration for both simple and complex designs was what first sparked my interest in engineering. I am constantly surrounded by and relying upon the products of engineering, which underline the importance of how modern life is assisted by the benefits of design. As my education progressed, the impression that imposing and ambitious constructions made upon me led to my being most captivated of all by civil engineering. For instance, seeing the iconic Wembley Stadium aroused my curiosity of how engineering has made such structures possible. The fusion of rigid mathematics and expressive creativity needed in realising innovative projects presents exciting challenges. For me, the need to maintain a sustainable natural environment is a significant challenge making successful engineering hugely rewarding. My greatest passions are combined in this progressive discipline which I am set on pursuing.

As well as advancing the way I approach and solve problems, studying mathematics has inspired me to apply my skills towards real situations. Physics has supported my interest in mechanics and has given me the freedom to independently research particular areas which excite me as part of coursework projects. Recently I enjoyed giving a presentation of my findings about the material properties of reinforced carbon-carbon, explaining in detail why the material is able to resist thermal shock during atmospheric re-entry when used on spacecraft.

During a work experience with a structural engineering firm I encountered engineering in practice. I relished the opportunity of exploring CAD software, surveying, and visiting construction sites. This improved my knowledge and abilities in these practices; although during the placement, I felt I was most enriched by spending time with engineers in an engineering environment. Visiting damaged buildings in danger of collapse highlighted how civil engineers are needed not just for innovation, but for the preservation of existing communities. I gained an insight into how a firm functioned, where I was inspired by the fast pace and versatility of the discipline.

Away from my studies, I have worked under pressure in my elected role as the sixth form vice president. With responsibilities for significant social and charitable events, I have needed good time management and inter-personal skills. I also take an active interest in debate. At regularly attended sessions I discuss social, political and religious issues within a college debating society. I have enjoyed leading some sessions in which I shared passionate opinions in discussions such as the merits of different strategies of sustainability.

After a long period of intensive fundraising, last summer I was able to take part in an expedition to Nepal. During this visit I supported a poverty-stricken school by teaching students to help improve their English. Visiting Nepal outlined how important supporting infrastructure is on developing a country. The lack of sewage and litter disposal caused terrible pollution. The hectic transport and poor electricity systems brought danger to many. A more developed infrastructure would allow businesses to progress in Nepal as well as providing a safe, clean environment for its people.

I believe civil engineering requires an open mind. I hope to combine an awareness of society with new skills and understanding at university, and I am certain civil engineering is the route to realising my enthusiasm for new ideas. Design has always been my passion. In a field of constant evolution, I am determined to keep pace with a changing world.

• Bristol University (Civil Engineering MEng) - Offer (AAB with AA in Maths and Physics) Firm
  • Durham University (St. Aidan's college) (Civil Engineering MEng) - Offer (AAB)
  • Nottingham University (Civil Engineering MEng) - Offer (AAB / BBB for BEng) Insurance
  • Sheffield UNiversity (Civil Engineering MEng) - Offer (AAB)
  • Liverpool University (Civil Engineering MEng) - Offer (ABB)

• Physics - A
  • Mathematics - B
  • Chemistry - B
  • Religious Studies (AS)