Personal Statement - Geology 7

Geology Personal Statement 7

Continually shifting under our feet, our planet fascinates me. There are a number of things that intrigue me about the earth; it’s volatility, it’s singularity among planets and the fact we know so little about it. Life as we know it depends upon the earth, our understanding of how it has evolved and how it is going to evolve in the future. Because geology is such a young science, there is endless potential for new discoveries and the possibility of these is the foremost reason I want to study geology. Recent research into ‘The Anthropocene’ is particularly interesting as it brings about the opportunity to challenge existing ideas of humanity’s place in the history of the earth and the opportunity to embrace new concepts. The idea that human activities have become significant geological forces brings about the critical importance of managing our planet’s natural resources for both ourselves and future generations. I am keen to engage in the study of these resources and our environment. My first visit to the Rocky Mountains began my pursuit of information about our planet. The magnitude of the landforms and their indisputable beauty was captivating. Since then, I have travelled to the Rockies and Bulgaria’s Rila Mountains several times. With many mineral deposits they are a fascinating part of not only the landscape, but also of their countries’ economies. Visiting Ingleton Falls allowed me to study first-hand the structural geology of the area such as anticlines and Isoclinal folds. Seeing the deformation of the rock, as a result of the forces it has continually been subjected to, was very interesting. Richard Fortey’s book ‘The Earth: An intimate History’ was especially beneficial in helping me understand ‘deep time’ and helped me gain a perspective of the vastness of Earth history compared to human history, which I feel is an integral part in studying an earth science. To gain a wider knowledge in preparation for university, I will be attending a geology conference and a plate tectonic exhibition in December. I particularly enjoyed the problem solving aspect of studying chemistry and biology. These subjects helped develop my analytical skills, when studying topics such as mass spectroscopy and my mathematical skills, both important when studying an interdisciplinary science. Geography is the course in which I relish. Learning about the forces that carve landscapes and sub-crustal activities that move continents has been riveting. It has allowed me to comprehend the impacts these processes have on their environments; as well as providing me with skills needed to carry out team based fieldwork. Taking part in psychology’s research projects has developed my evaluation techniques and my abilities in reasoning and research, whilst writing essays has facilitated my continued literary development. All skills I will employ when studying at university. Aside from my A levels, I co-founded our college’s first earth science society. We meet to discuss current geographical and geological events, such as the Popigai Crater, as well as preparing ourselves for higher education. I also mentor AS geography students in my free time. As part of an equality and diversity group I help organise events, such as silent discos, to raise awareness for things like LGBT week. The team opened my eyes to the issues surrounding the treatment of others and has given me a greater respect and understanding for other people. My time management and organisational skills have been enhanced by balancing my studies with working five nights a week. I also gained an understanding of the importance of self-discipline and motivation by teaching myself to play the clarinet. I am a very determined student who constantly achieves good grades, all of the above I think is evident in the results I acquired at AS. I am a ‘Rock ‘n’ Roll’ enthusiast and person with an enquiring mind who loves a challenge; I believe this will make me an outstanding geology student.

• University of St. Andrews (Geology) - Offer (AAB) Firm
  • University of Leicester (Geology) - Offer (ABB) Insurance
  • University of Bristol (MGeol) - Offer (AAB)
  • Cardiff University (Geology) - Offer (ABB)
  • Keele University (Geosciences) - Offer (BBB)

• Geography(A2) - Grade A
  • Psychology(A2) - Grade A
  • Chemistry (A2) - Grade B
  • Biology(AS) - Grade C